Dairy Farming - knowledgebase and resources

Please note that the price of milk per liter mentioned above was not correct, so please see the post below. Sorry for the mistake, caused by oversight.

Murali

The price of Desi Cow milk in Bangalore is Rs.100/ltr for end user and for dealer it is Rs. 60-70/ltr

As a specific demand for desi cow milk at premium is limited to urban class. That too spread over extended area. Cost effective distribution channel within the suitable shelf life would be big challenge.

For general calculation purpose it is better we calculate basis the price prevailing in \immediate market to the diary farm . We have to note that every transportation and labor will cost us, So success mantra to be reduce cost of production and distribution and avail maximum sales realisation. Cooperative milk soc is a always in demand for milk so this market is firm, its better producer find a balance market for some portion in retail market with maximum realization and balance in dairy cooperative sector. There are some benefits like subsidies, low price cattle feed…etc so in that way we can realise more money to our sales price to them.

As our dear guru and veteran advise always start with small scale with high confidence and esteem. Once we hold on the subject go for large investments. Get avail maximum supports from local government vet office, Punjayat, scheme …etc

Pls note that as per new guidelines, small farmers can avail service of prime minster minimum rojgar labors for constructing dairy farm infrastructures at free of cost)

Request to Murali chetan, if you could get a typical day of dairy farmer (10 heards) to get other members to know about what is happening in reality. It will give a fare idea how much physical efforts and time to be spent for the success. At what time he has to wake up, what all activities he does in a day, how much money he has to spent…etc.

From the various thread it is very much clear that until unless we approach diary farm as just like any business it would not going to success. Business needs, knowledge, planning and continues presence with dedication and targets.

Assume 10 heard dairy farm must have a continues labour for assistance.

Happy milking…

tksrgds
rajan mahew

Dear Mr.Murali

Really a good comprehensive guidance.

Thanking you.
with best Wishes,
Prakruthi
Srinivashyd01@gmail.com

Dear Mr.Mathews,

I can give the contact number of one farmer near Varkala in Trivandrum district, but the issue is he will be able to communicate in malayalam only. He had received the best farmer award in Kerala state, 4 years back. A very systematic dairy farmer, feed against yield is the policy followed by him. He is going for expansion shortly. For the last 4 years he has been carrying out dairy farming successfully. The milk produced in the farm is sold then and there, to the local people coming to the farm to get milk. The job of milk chilling and preservation do not arise there.

murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Milking Machines is the only reliable option these days for hygienic milking and complete milking. Milking Machines are very popular in the buffalo farms in Hyderabad, Punjab, Haryana and Maharashtra, Kerala states. You just cannot see milkers in these places.

World over milking machines are same for cows and buffaloes. The difference is not with the machine or can cluster assembly. It a small modification done to the pulsating mechanism.

Any milking machine can be used for cows and buffaloes. The milk let down procedure in case of cows is instant - meaning you can see milk flowing out as soon as you attach the cluster assembly to the teats of a cow. Whereas in buffaloes, when you attach the cluster assembly, the buffalo has to get stimulated, and then milk flow starts. Normally in buffalo farms, milkers use their hands for stimulation or attach the cluster and wait for sometime for the buffalo to start milk let down.

Cow milking machine cost starts at Rs.55000/- with pneumatic pulsation. Transport & installation charges extra. Portable models costs less. Under 10 cows/buffaloes, portable model is enough. Good imported machines ISO certified might cost Rs.70000/-, which can be used for cows and buffaloes. Now a days most of the dairy farms have less than 10% buffaloes and they milk buffaloes with the same can cluster assembly used to milk cows.

Murali krishnan

[author=srivinayakatvm link=topic=155.msg17564#msg17564 date=1406823597]
Dear Mr.Mathews,

I can give the contact number of one farmer near Varkala in Trivandrum district, but the issue is he will be able to communicate in malayalam only. He had received the best farmer award in Kerala state, 4 years back. A very systematic dairy farmer, feed against yield is the policy followed by him. He is going for expansion shortly. For the last 4 years he has been carrying out dairy farming successfully. The milk produced in the farm is sold then and there, to the local people coming to the farm to get milk. The job of milk chilling and preservation do not arise there.

murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

[/quote]

Hi
Need Co 4 Grass for my dairy farm, Any supplier in and around Karnataka.

Regards

Shree

HI All,

I am planing to open dairy farm in shimoga (Karnataka). will the place suit for cows.
also suggest me some dairy farms near Shimoga which i can visit.

Hello Avinash,

As the temperature is between 22-28 degree C, definitely the area is suitable for dairy farming. Select cows carefully. Go to Krishnagiri, kaveripattinam and get cows. Look for the milk vein under the stomach ending in the udder. Learn the feeding techniques & water requirements for cows. Give calcium and Mineral supplementation. Do deworming periodically in consultation with a veterinarian. Do rotation of dewormers used. Make up your mind and do it with full confidence. Anything that comes out of a cow is money, let it be dung, urine or milk. Only thing is you should know the ways and means to market it and convert it to money.

Goodluck.

Murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

How to Calculate Cattle Weight
Unless you are a commercial livestock farmer, you probably do not own a livestock scale. Figuring out how to weigh a cow, bull or calf is easy if you can measure the animal body length and girth. Use this guide to determine the weight of your dairy cow or beef cattle:

1. Measure the circumference of the animal, as shown in “distance C” in the illustration. Make sure to measure girth in relation to the location of the animal’s heart.
  2. Measure the length of the animal’s body, as shown in distance A-B in the illustration.
  3. Using the measurements from steps 1 and 2, calculate body weight using the formula HEART GIRTH x HEART GIRTH x BODY LENGTH / 300 ANIMAL WEIGHT IN POUNDS. For example, if a beef cow has a heart girth equal to 70 inches and a body length equal to 78 inches, the calculation would be (70 x 70 x 78) / 300 = 1,274 lbs.

Dear Srivinayakatvm,
Thanks for the giving the formula & method for calculation of weight, you not mention the tolerance with respect to the actual weight by weighing scale, and also clear why you taken divided by 300 not 400 or 500. hope your reply will clear the doubt of all the live stock farmers.

Best Regards,

Azhar2345

Dear Mr. Azhar,

The above post was by Brij solution and not me. I hope he will clarify your doubts.

Murali

Dear Mr.Murali,
Sorry for that, thanks for the information. i hope he will clear the doubt & add more valuable thing in feature post.

Regards,
azhar2345

This is a link below,

i will do by practical experiance,

tractorsupply.com/know-how_C … tle-weight

I AM A NEW MEMBER AND I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT HERD MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE AND DAIRY CLEANING EQUIPMENTS, PLEASE HELP ME

hello sir,

First thanks to u again & again to post for us…

I am very very happy to see this above picture,

Sir as i am new & my construction going on … So This post & pictures really help me…

Thanks once again sir…

I will plan to come your place for visit,

There i will see with u…

At least i will take 3-4 months to back from kuwait,

Dear sir, I am new member .i want open a new dairy business.
please you give me details for I start dairy business. How govn. help with me . Or loan provided me. And where I can sell own dairy milk.

ajay123

A quick search on this forum and you’ll find good information regarding setting up of dairy farm & project plan for bank loan approvals. Regarding govt help, you’ll need to talk to dairy farmers from your state or look up govt site for info which can be state specific.

Thanks,
JV