Dairy Farming - knowledgebase and resources

Machines of European origin is good preferably having ISO standards. Check for their presence in India.

Cleaning chemicals are available in India - of both alkaline and acidic nature. Its available in India freely. Everyday evening use alkaline detergent in slightly warm water, add 20% detergent and top it up with 80% water, one in 3 days use acidic detergent in the same ratio which removes the milk stains in cluster and stainless steel or aluminium cans. Now a days most machines are with 30 liter ss cans. Better to use iodine based teat dips also for teat dipping. Use non return dip cup so that once dipped iodine solution cannot go back to the cup again and it has to be thrown out. Non return dips cups are available in India.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

[quote=Nikhilthakkar]
Thank you for detailed explanation on machine. Please advice few good brands of machine as advised below and approx cost. Are cleaning chemicals available easily in India and please advice on this too.
Regards Nikhil
One can cluster can milk 10 cows in one hour(electrically driven machine takes 6-8 minutes to milk one cow irrespective of its yield). Buy machines giving careful thoughts, don’t buy some “scrap” called milking machine. Please think why machines working using hand pumps and leg operated ones are not seen in gulf countries or USA, Australia or New Zealand? The reason is they are technically not working in the right methods and applying recommended vacuum levels. A good machine must milk the cow pressing opposite teats- one on the left side in the front quarter and the right teat at the back quarter like how we mark “X”. Definitely they are having better machines for all other purposes. Then why only in milking?
A good milking machine will have the following:

• Electrically driven vacuum pump, oil free.
• Vacuum gauge
• Vacuum meter
• Aluminium or SS milking can of 30 litre capacity.
• Pneumatic pulsator, oil free
• Liners, Milk sight glass, Teat cup Shell transparent, Teat Cup Shell Stainless steel part, one set of 3 brushes.

Machines having European standards and ISO certifications are the best and not from countries from where we normally get throw away Tape Recorders or DVD players. The country of origin is very important.

There is no harm in using a milking machine. It can never take blood out of the cow even if you keep it there for 15 minutes after completing the milk let down. No harm is caused to the cow as the vacuum is passed on to the cow’s teats after regulating it. You will get good clean milk without froth from the machine. The only thing is after milking you need to open the milking can lid, measure the milk and pour it to another preferably SS or Aluminum vessel. Avoid milk getting touched by hands as it prevents mutiplication of microbial content in milk and can last for more time. It’s always better to chill it immediately after milking. For that too never depend on locally made coolers. Go for Company made coolers only.
Locally made stuff will give you trouble and draw more electricity.

If you have 2 milking can machine, for 25 cows I think in 1.5 hours your job will be done. Ladies can operate this machine. Just attach and detach milking clusters to the cow’s udder. Its always better to use iodine after milking to dip the cows teats. Iodine is a disinfectant and it helps the cow to close the opened teat canal. I think I have given a very detailed reply clearing your doubt. Happy Milking !!

When there is no milk seen in the milk sight glass (In machines imported from Turkey, you have two piece liners, with a milk sight glass in between having a transparent part between the liner and the short milk tube). In other machines, single piece liner or in the milk claw bowl bottom (the transparent part in which you can see milk getting collected from each teat), you please put the weight of your right hand in the milk claw so that extra weight is added to the milk claw bowl bottom part. Remember to put your hand on the dark part, over the top of the milk claw bowl bottom( the piece where the rubber liners are attached to the plastic part,normally its above the transparent part), so that it gives that extra weight on the four teats of the cow, like you squeeze the last milk from the teats . When the milking is about to be over, the same action is done by putting little extra weight. The milk sight glass helps you to see the milk flowing out from the 4 teats as you don’t have to bend too much to see the bottom milk flowing from the 4 teats.

Milking is done using machines only in USA, NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA. They are doing complete milking and they are very strict on teat dipping as well as hygiene practices after milking like teat dipping, wiping the udder using teat dip wipes{throw away type, you never use a used wipe}, washing utensils with acid and alkaline detergents. No soap or washing detergents. Complete milking is possible and their cows yield three times more than our cows. No fears please!!

Muralikrishnan

hello everyone,i wud like to put in my views about cows and buffallows’rearing.
*dont go for pure breeds like hf or Jersy to start with.bulikier the animal,bigger the problem and the bulk doesnt gaurantee you yield either.go for hfx or jerseyx and also the local varieties like khilari,amrutmahal,ongole,gir,tharparkar etc.*when buying a local breed check the animal for her behaviour.an agressive animal may part with more kicks than milk.however the local breeds’ milk,though lesser compared to hf/jersey is of hi fat,tasts better and sells at a higher rate.the best thing to do is mix up all the milk and sell if there is no requirement to deliver pure local breed milk.same holds good for murrah buffallows.as this breed is massive it requires a lot of maintainence.*i have also observed that,about 30% of murrah buffallows do not concieve fast hence prolonging the dry period.instead a novice could go for gaulat(pandharpuri)buffalows.they are also good yielders,well adapted to the south indian climate and environment.*at present the gomutra of a local breed cow also fetches good returns if properly managed.the heifers of local breeds have a good mortality rate.THANKS To ALL.Will come back again.

Kindly drop further information at: vedicdairy@gmail.com

Hii Friends,

I just found an interesting website of a Group of Dairy Entrepreneur based in Ranchi.

They left their MNC jobs to start dairy business and guess what they even got PE funding.

This is really encouraging for all of us to do it in a big way.

Go through this Website rayadairy.com/

Rahul Meka

I have learned that the best results come with loving the animals. The better I treat my cows, the better the dairy production. It might sound like common sense, but to some people sometimes cost optimization means poor treatment of animals. Anyways, love the cows, they will love you back.

Hello Mr.JAC,

Love, Care,Good feeding, Hygiene,Cleanliness,Proper Milking, Good Veterinary care, Water facility in front of the cow always, well planned breeding policy etc - a combination of all these will get you good yield.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

There is no harm using milking machines. You get froth free, clean milk from machines. Its very hygienic.

Milking is done using machines in Middle East countries, USA, Australia, New Zealand and also in dairy farms in India and also in Community Milking Centers in Milk Societies in Kolar milk union in Karnataka etc.

For more information please write to us on info@stellapps.com

www.stellapps.com

Dear All
I am planning to start a dairy unit of 100 cows with automation. Though various project are available for dairy farming and milk production I am unable to find the costs for milk processing units like pasteurization ( 1000 lpd) , pouch packing ( 1000 lpd), vacuum evaporators ( for making milk powder 1000 lpd) and a unit for making milk products like ghee khova paneer etc. I shall be very grateful to anybody who gives me the approx costs of the above mentioned units and not just rushes in to provide project consultancy / project reports sale offer.

Regards

K.Parthasarthi

saiherbex@rediffmail.com

Dear Mr.Parthasarathi,

Dairy farm with 100 cows with automation -

Automation possible for milking using milking Parlours of Herringbone, Parallell or Midiline or Swing type Milking Parlours with milk meters and CIP systems. Make feed mix manually and you can feed it using Tractor Feeding method. Automation on feeding will not be viable for 100 cows. Similarly milk pasteurization units from reliable companies starts at 5000 LPD. May be you will find local players offering you systems for 1000 LPD but they are not reliable. The situation is same for Packing as you find quality companies offering 2500/5000 packets of 250 ml/500ml/1 liter packings. To support the packing machine you need a compressor too.

For all this 1000 lpd is too small and you cannot just think of milk powder making systems as they are for very high capacities. You cannot find suppliers for small quantities as it won’t be a viable proposal.

STPL.

hi
I am devakumar from madurai, tamilnadu,I like to start an dairy farm unit i need an information regarding

1. dairy farm consulting firms in tamil nadu
  2. success rate of hydroponics fodder for an dairy farm
  3. To start an dairy farm with cow or buffalo?
  4. 100% banking finance available ?or how much contribution from myself

I can guide you on the basic things needed to establish dairy farm. The method of operation changes according to herd size. The style of housing too varies depending on numbers, feeding,watering, milking etc. Nobody gives 100% bank loan. You need to deposit margin money to the tune of 10 to 20%,i think.

Hydroponics is seen to be utilized where labour and land values are very high. If you are a new comer, better start with minimum 5 to 10 cows first. Learn the art of dairy farming and then increase if you are sure of the operating system, hygiene standards, artificial insemination and feeding methods.

Where in Tamilnadu? Generally in TN where its very hot, keep 4 sides of the shed open. Keep roofing at a good height and have split ventilation. Put fans inside the barn with water sprinklers in place above the cows. Recommend water feeding devices like water bowls in front of the cows.

Watch the photographs given below. Natural methods may be suitable if its below 10 cows.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Calf feeding and Points to note while starting a dairy farm.

Calves respond to bottle feeding best when fed twice a day. It is optimal if the calf can be bottle fed every twelve hours. Farmer’s prefer bottle feeding a calf at 7 am and then at 7 pm but between 6am - 8am is good also. Due to busy schedules, it is not always practical or possible for bottle feeding a calf every twelve hours, but if bottle fed twice a day it’s good. Most calf rearing farmer’s find time in the morning when they start their day and then they find time after the day’s work is over. They normally do bottle feeding the calf at 6 am and then again at 8 pm or before 5 pm.

The most important key will be how often should we go for bottle feeding a calf ? Twice a day - in 10-12 hours gap. Keep the feeding schedule time the same every day. By keeping the time of bottle feeding the calf the same, the calf will learn or adjust the other eating habits for their schedule.

When you start a dairy farm for the first time, make sure you plan out things like manure management, herd health practices, feed rations, insemination schedules for each cow, calving, human resources (as you may need to hire some people to assist you), calf care, milking them, harvesting crops, and most importantly hygiene in and around the farm, try to prevent water logging. All of these should be completed before you start on the next step. Study the breeds suitable for the dairy farm considering climatic conditions. Fodder cultivation - Do you have enough land? All the waste water from the dairy farm should flow to the fodder land. Milking equipment must be suitable for the herd size. Milking should be over in 1 hour ideally. (1 can machine for 8 cows in one hour). This includes pre (washing and wiping with a clean dry cloth) and post milking routines (teat spray or using a non return teat dip cup).

If you are looking to buy a dairy farm that already has the capital gadgets like buildings, equipment, machinery etc, needed, then you only have to check to make sure it has adequate facilities for fodder cultivation and marketing possibilities of milk, barns for holding cows, housing sheds, areas of feed and manure storage, a milking parlor / machine to milk with 5/8/10 cans operating at the same time - in case of large herds and enough land to grow fodder to feed for your cows.

If you are buying a piece of land that you need to build buildings on, then make sure you plan for feed storage, sheds, manure pit, waste water tank, livestock housing, Parlour or Machines for cows/buffaloes for milking (typically in the milk parlor) and area where it is easy to do AI for cows. You will also need a calving facility and a facility where you can keep the calves, where calf feeding procedures can be carried out. Make sure the size of the buildings match the size of final herd you wish to keep. Do not buy milk from the grocery store for feeding calves because it does not have the same nutritional content in fresh milk and good bacteria for the calf’s digestive system as raw milk have. A bottle calf should start on grain and hay at the earliest. A calf needs colostrum in the first few hours of its life. You can switch over Calf Milk Replacer later. Give enough water.

Closely monitor their health condition. Dehorn calves. Give required vaccinations against diseases. Never do over feeding. Don’t give too much milk resulting in diarrhoea. Feed them with hay. Give time for them to get adjusted to the new surroundings.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Care for New born calves

The newborn calf should begin to breathe shortly after the umbilical cord breaks. Mucus around the nostrils should be removed. Do not pound on the calf’s chest or lift it by the rear legs since this can do more harm than good. Shortly after birth, the navel cord should be dipped with a 7% tincture iodine solution. The cow should be allowed to lick the calf after delivery.

Closely monitor their health condition. Dehorn calves. Give required vaccinations against diseases. Never do over feeding. Don’t give too much milk resulting in diarrhea. Feed them with hay. Give time for them to get adjusted to the new surroundings.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Dear all,

I am permanent resident in Uk but want to move back to India soon . My interest lies in farming and I am interested in setting up a dairy farm in India. I belong to haryana and have no land , I was planning to buy 2-3 acre land in Alwar Rajasthan and start with 50 murrah buffaloes or Holstein fries cows. Buying land in Haryana is out of my reach. my question is will dairy farm be profitable if I don’t have enough land to grow my own feed. I know for growing own feed for 50 animals I need at least 8 acre land.

My city Gurgaon is about 3 hour travel from Alwar. Is it must staying on farm 7 days a week to keep check on your staff.

Mr.Sunny,

You plan for a good tied up housing system for Buffaloes and cows in a 70:30 ratio. Dairy Farm is a profitable venture provided you are ready to be physically present in the farm during milking and feeding times. Milk, Cow dung, cow dung powder, organic manure, vermi compost using earthworms, try making all these. It can be sold easily where agri activities are there. Anything that comes out of a cow is money. Here if cow urine is collected in a proper way without water and dirt in it, even that is money here.

Dairy Farming is definitely a profitable venture. Owner’s involvement and supervision during money incoming and outgoing time is very much needed- milking and feeding time. Fodder cultivation in traditional ways need more land, labor and efforts. It’s too labor oriented. Go for hydroponic systems in today’s world. It will give you peace of mind and will avoid dependency on labor.

In this system you just need an acre for housing cows and have all other set up like doctor’s room, medicine store room, Cow care equipment, fodder store room, milking room where milking machine, milking cans, milk cans to store milk, measuring utensils, small bulk milk cooler etc, all needs to be kept there.

You have to be there to monitor the entire activity. Remember it’s 24 x 7 job. Once its fully established, a system laid down, you can relax a little. Good luck.

Murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Breeds suitable for Indian climate:-

You want to get a dairy cow, but you have no clues which breed to get. There are certain things you will think about when choosing a cow? Do you plan to sell the milk as fresh milk? If yes, you probably need a cow that produces large quantities of milk. Do you plan to make a lot of butter, ghee, buttermilk, Curd? Then you will need a cow that produces a lot of cream. Select cows according to your need. More milk or more fat?? That should be the first thing you need to give attention to.
Swiss brown:-
Large quantity of milk, long lifespan, sturdiness & strength, ability to stay in lactation longer than other breeds, best milk for cheese market (due to high protein content and large quantity), quiet temperament . Need more attention on first calving.
Holstein – Fresian
Black and white or red and white, they are known for large quantity of milk and preferred by farmer’s for more milk.
Jersey:
Light brown, gray, brown, cream or black. Good Character and temperament for all dairy cows, easy calving, early maturation, high fertility, rich and creamy milk.

Indian breeds like Sahiwal, Gir, Tharparkar, Vechur cow are also good ones but availability is an issue.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

This has reference to many callers planning to set up dairy farms of 10,25,50,100,300 and more.

Please note that the housing, feeding along with care and attention to the cows/buffaloes, varies with your herd size. Water requirement of the herd should be considered, with the provision of providing water using water bowls, water troughs in case of large dairy herd and water bowls in case of small size tied up systems. Housing will be of loose housing in case of large dairy herd where the cow takes care of herself on getting enough feed for her, satisfying her water needs. The cow is cleaned before it enters parlor, making cows getting washed through a passage (similar to a tunnel, open tunnel with GI pipes having holes in it for spraying water) where water is sprayed from top to bottom, cleaning its body completely. In the Parlor the milker does the pre-milking, cleaning and post milking & teat dipping or spraying after the cow exits from the parlor. The milk yield will be noted for each cow, either manually (milk meters showing the milk given by each cow) or using digital milk meters where milk gets recorded to the computer in the parlor.

For small farms, tied up system recommended. For large dairy herd, herd size more than 100 partial mechanization like tractor feeding, tractor scraping of manure, milking using bucklors ( bucket machines used in a parlor type set up, milk will be collected in cans instead of SS pipeline and milk ending in a dump tank or bulk milk cooler). Over 300 numbers, chain or hydraulically operated manure scrapers, conveyor feeding systems, automatic water troughs, milking parlor with automatic milk recording system will be there. Feeds will be stored in big silos next to the housing sheds, where conveyor belts are connected for input and output from silos.

Owner’s supervision during milking and feeding time ( money earning and spending time) is very much needed until you lay down a system of operation, which should be strictly followed. Presence of a very reliable person at site a must, in case you are unable to be there, for total supervision.

Murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Some more pictures connected to the post above.

Murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Small advice to Entrepreneurs.

The produce of the farm should go to the end consumer avoiding middlemen to get maximum Selling Price of Rs.70/- plus (Rs.76/ liter, revised price of milk here). The owner’s presence during milking and feeding time a must every day, (money earning and spending time). Feed them according to their yield only. Presence of an experienced vet and Para vet is very much needed at site 24 x7. Calf rearing should be given importance. Good semen to be used for AI. Water must be made available to cows 24 x7. Good Milking equipment to be used with assured service back up in your area .

Anything that is coming out of a cow is money. Let it be milk, urine or dung. Only thing is, you should know how to market it. You can think of making organic manure, by using cow feed left over, hay & fodder waste mixed with dung, make compost using earthworms, which can be sold like hot cake in 1,2,5 kg packs in urban areas, which can be used as garden manure in every house.

Find your own channel for sales. Fresh milk has got more demand everywhere. Forget about processing until you reach minimum 5000 litre production in your farm. Milk chilling using BMC with Real Time Management using Control boxes providing you critical alerts on milk chilling, volume levels, on your Android phone or e mail, CIP done or not using hot and cold water, used detergent or not for cleaning, digitally locking BMC possible also, can know milk volume in each bmc, no pilferage. It gives reports to your mobile wherever you are, provided you are under mobile coverage locations.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com