Dairy Farming - knowledgebase and resources

HI
    I AM INTERESTING DAIRY FARMING AND KNOW ABOUT THE BANK LOAN WITH SUBSIDY AND STARTING INVESTMENT AMMOUNT AND LAND SPACE FOR THIS BUSINESS.

Terms of SBI–>

For construction of shed, purchase of milch animals, milking machine, chaff cutter or any other equipment required for the purpose.
Who are eligible?
Individual farmers who are members of the milk procuring societies or located on milk route.
They should be less than 65 years of age.
Individual dairy unit having less than 10 animal - should own minimum 0.25 acre of land for every 5 animals for growing fodder and be in a position to procure the balance requirements locally.
Individual dairy unit having 10 animals and above - should own or lease a minimum of one acre of land for cultivation of fodder for every 5 animals.
Other terms
Only buffaloes producing more than 7 litres of milk per day and cows producing more than 8 litres of milk per day are financed
Animal purchase should be in 2 batches
Animals in first and second lactation alone are eligible for finance
LOAN AMOUNT:
100% of the cost for loans upto Rs 100,000/
90% of the cost for loans above Rs 100,000/ with a maximum of Rs 5 lakhs as Term loan
WORKING CAPITAL: A working capital @ Rs.2500/- per animal per year may be Sanctioned for purchase of feed, fodder and medicine along with the term loan
Security
Hypothecation of assets created out of bank finance for loans upto Rs 1.00 lac .
For loans Over Rs.1 lac -Mortgage of landed property (or) third party guarantee
Worth for loan amount (or) group guarantee of other 2 dairy farmers.
How do you repay
The loan should be repaid in monthly installments over a period of 5 lactations.
How to apply for this loan
You may contact our nearest branch or talk to the marketing officers visiting your village.

For more information, please visit:

sbi.co.in/portal/web/agricul … airy-units

All nationalized banks have such schemes. Avoid middlemen while going for loans.

You need to justify the repayment of the loan by submitting a project report and work accordingly.

Now regarding space, you need 1 acre for 8 cows, ie; to avoid dependency on fodder needs on others, you will be self reliant, fodder cultivation for 8 cows for the whole year round. Think of Azolla which grows on water.

Murali Krishnan

The last 3 months of the pregnancy period is the most critical period in the cycle of a cow. How she is fed and taken care will have a direct impact on the health of a calf. A cow after giving birth to a calf must be inseminated again within 85-90 days after calving. The nutritional needs of cows increase rapidly during the last 3 months of pregnancy because the foetus makes seventy percent of its growth in the last 3 months. A lack of energy and protein is the biggest reason for poor reproductive performance. Cows must be given ration according to the stages they are in. Feeds with more protein content should be fed during this stage. Minerals, calcium and vitamin supplementation should be given to those cows expecting delivery. In the last 30 days, move the cow to a separate place with better bedding.

Parturition Signs:-

• Dilation of udder.
• Hollow appearance on both sides of the tail head.
• Enlarged vulva.
• Thick mucus discharge.
• Signs of uneasiness.
• Expulsion of foetus.
• Appearance of water bag and its slow emergence.
• Appearance of hoof and mouth.

After Delivery: -

1.The mother licks her calf.
2.Feed milk laxative, palatable and nutritious feed.
3.Bran like wheat bran, rice bran recommended. Little bit salt can be added to water mixed with bran.
4.Leguminous feeds recommended.
5.Placenta discharge happens within 5-6 hours after delivery.
6.Lukewarm water recommended for drinking to the cow.

Murali Krishnan

Milk procurement prices by Co-operatives In India:-

See the below link -

indiadairy.coop/MilkPrices.html

For your information. Private sector might be paying similar amount based on the terms like milk pick up, chilling facility provided etc.

Murali Krishnan

Hello ,

I’ve just joined the forum . I had a quick look around for an introduction section for Dairy men so thought I would start here .

I’m located in Australia and own a dairyfarm that I run mostly on my own with some help from my wife and contractors . We milk Holsteins and calve seasonally . Mostly in May June and July .

We milk around 250 and our farm is just under 500 acres in total .We are pasture based and grow most of our pasture from April through until about December I run all the supporting young stock as well and cut most of my own fodder . We buy in about 200 ton of oaten hay and cut about 1000 rolls of silage or so at home . Also we feed a grain concentrate mix in the dairy during milking . Currently about 7kg/cow/day .

It’s a smaller than average farm for around here and funny as it sounds we have our work cut out making a living . Still , happy to be a framer .

Great and Vast site here . Look forward to contributing .
Looks like a vast forum with a lot to read up .

Welcome.
How interesting farm situations everywhere are so similar.

i all,

I have started a dairy business in Gorakhpur, east UP in february with 10 cows. (8 HF and 2 desi).

Since the start, I am facing following issues in my dairy:

1. I purchased cows which were initially giving 16-22 ltrs milk. But withing a month the production went down drastically and by April total production was just half.
    Currently none of them are able to give more than 3-5 ltrs of milk per day.

2. For feed I am giving them 2 kg of khali ( mustard oil byproduct), 3 kg of akra ( masoor daal) and 2 kg of rice bran per cow per day. Bhusa (wheat) around 30 kg and green grass is difficult to grow here so only giving 5-6 kg of green grass (chari)

3. Mineral mixture 30 gms per cows per day

4. Calcium 100 ml per cow per day.

5. Cows are coming in heat, them after 24 -36 hrs of waiting AI is done by the BAIF team. Still they are not getting pregnant and they are coming in heat again and again.

6. 1 cow died due to mastitis and 4 calf’s also died.

7. I am giving milk to the state dairy cooperative (parag) but my fat content is always less than 2.7 % and lactometer reading always shows around 25. So I am getting just 18-19 Rs. per ltr milk from the cooperative.

8. Cows are very weak and even their bones are showing.
    Its my request to senior dairy experts here to kindly guide as to what should I do.

Requesting Mr. Chandra, Srivinayaktvm, Khannae and other senior members to kindly give some advice on my problems.

I hope many others who may be facing some of these issues will get benefit here from the advice of the expert members.

I will be very glad for your help.
Durgesh D

Hi

What is Bhusa, what form is it in?
Just highlight what feed and fodder items you are feeding. There seems to be insufficient fodder, feed or both. Also what is status of deworming?

What other feed items do you have access to?
The quantities mentioned are fed by you or by labors?

Are you present at the farm or weekend visitor?
When cows are coming to heat, why are you waiting for 24-36 hours?
How much milk you are feeding to calves and for how many days? Any signs of loose motions in calves?

Please answer all above for better understanding of issues.

Nikhil0

Hi nikhil,
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Bhusa is wheat straw.

For feed :

1# 3kg akra (red gram/ masoor dal)
2# 2kg khali ( mustard oil cake)
3# 2 kg rice bran
4# 30 gm mineral mix
5# 100 ml calcium concentrate

Dry Fodder : bhusa (wheat straw) 30kg
Green fodder : chari 5-6 kg

Deworming of cow was last done on 1st april 2015

Deworming of calfs was done on 15th june.

Feed and fodder is given by the labour.

I am always present in the farm as its just opposite my house.

Whenever the cow first starts showing sign of heat, as per the BAIF team they say that AI should be done after 24-36 hrs as this is the best time for doing AI.
( I personally dont know why they say so).

After milking is done by the labour, only then the calfs get milk. Currently they are fed mostly on wheat straw and green grass.

No sign of loose motion in calfs.

Hope this will give you much insight on my dairy. Also i am attaching 2 pics of the cows in my dairy.

Thanks and regards,
Durgesh D.

I dont think I understand the concept of Bhusa, 30 kgs doesnt seem right. Cows cannot consume so much dry fodder.

Also, how much water is being given?
What time is feed given and when is fodder given and how much quantity at a time?

A standard HF cow with 20 lt milk production will need around 16 kgs Dry matter intake, this can be divided into feed and fodder.
Feed - 8 kgs
Fodder - 8 kgs Further divided as Green Fodder - 20 kg (4 kg DM) + Dry fodder - 4 kg.

What is temperature at your place? IS there any measures for cooling?

So many things need to be considered to analyse the solution, lets see where this goes.

Nikhil

Hi Nikhil,
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I was not able to login to the site from last three days due to internet non connectivity.

Yesterday i weighted the feed and fodder given to the cows.
Dry fodder ( bhusa) = 20-25 kg (10-12 kg in morning and same in evening)
Green fodder = 8-10 kg. (4-5 kg in morning and same in evening).
Feed:
Masoor dal (red gram) =2 kg
Mustard seed cake = 1.5kg
Rice bran = 1.5 kg
Half of This feed is mixed and soaked in water in the evening which is fed twice in the morning @7:00 am and 9:30 am. Other half is soaked in morning and is fed twice in the evening @3:30 pm and 6:30 pm.
Everyday the labour comes at 6 am and then starts mixing green fodder and dry fodder (bhusa). Feed is mixed with this fodder.
By 7:45 am milking starts and finishes by 8:45 am.

Water is always available for the cows.
Temprature at my place currently goes as high as 46 degree celcius in may-june.
For cooling of the cows, fans are in place. Also during summer twice water was sprinkled on the cows during daytime.
But electricity is an issue here and generally 8-10 hrs daily we get electricity that also mostly in the night.

I hope i have given answers to your quaries regarding the issues i am facing.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks and regards,
Durgesh D.

Bhusa may not contain anything nutritious and may be very high in fibre which may not cause proper digestion.
The quantity of feed is very low. You need to give at least 8 kg of mix for 20 lts milking cow.
I have never heard anyone feeding whole legumes to cows, maybe it is practice in your area. Try to give readymade feeds as a change and see how it improves.

Sorry, I am still not able to understand what this Bhusa is and how cow can eat so much quantity.

Anyway, good luck.
Nikhil

Hi Nikhil,
Thanks for your reply.

Bhusa is wheat straw cut into 1-3 cms pieces and stored for the cows to eat all round the year.

Hope this gives you an idea of Bhusa.

Thanks and regards,
Durgesh D

Straw of all crops are very poor in nutrition, check this link. feedipedia.org/node/60

And that too without treatment is more or less waste and comes out as dung as they have a compound called lignin which inhibits digestion.

I suggest you move towards removing this straw from your dairy if you are looking for a longer future in the dairy industry.
Legume hays are relatively better than cereal hays.

Good luck.
Nikhil

I am new to this forum, wish to be guided for starting own dairy in my village in Sultanpur District of Uttar Pradesh.
I would need loan, so what best schemes are available at present. How to get animals ensured and small project report will help me in putting my thoughts forward.
Look for support.
Jitendra

Dear all,

Anybody has an experience of cows from Doddaballapur?
I heard that there having good HF breeds and good milk yielding,
Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Sheshaprasad

cows from doddaballapur are of good breed and larrge animals with good yield
also they are very costly
i purchased one heifer 20 month old 7 months pregnant for 1.2 lacs( heifer was very large and no teeth)
price may vary but minimum will be 75k +
there are few farms kumar dairy farm etc

Dear Khan ji,

I talked to him.
When did you bought from him? how abt the yielding?
Where is your farm located,and drop me your number

Regards,
Sheshaprasad

i did not purchased from him
i purchased directly from a farmer
its pregnant cow 7 months now( i purchased 4 days back) cow may yield 10-12 ltrs/time(22-25ltrs/day)
i purchased it for its size (so that i can use imported semen of high yield)
actually i met a broker who had 4-5 months heifers of huge size. As sexed has higher fertility and conception ratio with heifers i wanted good beed heifers. someone from andhra had already purchsed it for 2 lacs for 5 heifers . there were no records to confirm age of heifers. purchaser said they are trustable
broker refused to give me his number he said to come directly and meet
place was near Karehalli in chickaballapur
phone number is pmed
i am not a professional dairy person i have only 6 cows at present

Dear Khan,

Yesterday I had been to his place,but I could not meet him.
The cows looks like pure HF and good yielding and he has many links in that area
As he said,will there be any cows near to his place which gives 20-25Ltrs in first lactation?
He is very much confident on it.Does it true?

Regards
Sheshaprasad