Video Testimonial: Rs. 6 Lakh per Acre from Natural Farming

Sri…I called few of them a whilst ago and they they are not comfortable sharing their contacts. They think the visitors will engage in an argument.

The farming method you refer is called among other things, Korean Natural farming an NGO based in Bangalore has even created a booklet on this. Please see ilcasia.wordpress.com/2012/02/20 … ing-sarra/

Besides, palekar most organic farming methods are low on external input. I know of Natueco farming, Mr.Sundaraman of Tamilnadu has done some work and developed his own techniques and concoctions. I don’t think Palekar can claim his method to be the only cheap method. Please read old sahaja saguvali kannada magazine it has the details.

One way of proving the 5 layer model is useful is if it manages to generate good income. As things stand i refuse to believe people like Krishnappa and their ilk.

The reason I didn’t comment for a long time is that I am no expert or a practicing farmer but I have decided to be one very shortly ( I know many would say that only a practicing farmer can preach or has the right to talk)

I have been following the discussion and is turning to be extremely useful for a beginner like me :smiley:

In the past one month I have visited over 15 farms and yes all of them are natural farms ( some say they follow palekar some say they devised it themselves as this system is very old). True that this method doesn’t belong to Palekar it’s just that he is promoting it. Yes, I do agree with the fact that he comes down too strong on other systems and is very repetitive ( I am also one of the vicitims of buying all his five books, I finished it in a week as it was highly repetitive….LOL :stuck_out_tongue:) .

In this farm trail I learnt some golden rules:

1. Distant farming can only be a distant dream. One needs to be there 24/7 in the farm to be successful, stepping out is asking for trouble.
  2. Don’t trust anyone or Don’t rely on labors be ready to get your hands dirty.
  3. There is no fixed formula for all the fields, you need to find the right technique and formula for your farm (No copy paste :-[)
  4. Do all your dirty work yourself.
  5. It must be a family run unit and not a corporate model.
  6. Trench irrigation is better than any other method.
  7. Invest nothing or rather keep it negligible . :smiley:

The last rule was the one which made me do this trail, I knew this last rule even before starting the farm visits. My policy was simple “even if didn’t gain a penny I wouldn’t lose one either”

All the farmers I met are luckily making a good sum of money with the least amount of efforts.

1. Making 6 lakhs an acre.
    A dream for me too and no one but Krishnappa promises that kind off amount. All the others say they earn anywhere between 1.5 to 2 lakhs an acre. The specialty of Krishnappa’s farm (atleast according to me ) is that he is only guy I have seen who has grown his farm exactly the way Palekar says. I mean the field plan (3636 method) is implemented only in his field. The rest of them have modified their fields but none has replicated the 3636 method, simple reason being they don’t want to chop down a fully grown coconut or areca nut tree. All of them do multicrop and do practice the 5 layer method. The most common combo that I have seen is Coconut, areca nut, Banana and turmeric( yes I know one layer is missing but they seem to be satisfied with this income itself, don’t ask me why :wink: ).

All the farms that I have visited have been converted from chemical to Natural farm. Thus the 36*36 method has not been implemented very religiously but yes they have planted in more than what should be (at least as per agri univ).

One of the famers I met in Andhra has converted his mousambi orchard into a multi-crop farm.
(viewers who know Telugu can view the link below)

youtube.com/watch?v=qa0wd98h7OU

He has modified the 36*36 model and implemented it in his farm pretty well.

1. “There are 6 farmers I know that have moved away from Palekar and 2 have modified the method.”
    Dear Sir,
    For my own benefit and for the benefit of others can you please give me the details of these farmers. I will visit them and add them to my farm trail.
    Post my farm trail I was thoroughly convinced that ZBNF is the ahead ;D, until I bumped into this post, :-\ thus I kindly request you provide me the details of those who moved away from ZBNF.

2. “Regarding the 5 layer model. It seems that Krishnappa has implemented it, why does he not come out with yield & revenue data from the past 5 years, why does he dodge the question. The same with his sugarcane model. Let me give you a contrasting example. There is a sugarcane farmer called Suresh Desai, of-course he is an organic farmer and developed a water efficient way of growing sugarcane with inter-crops. He clearly demonstrates that hard data backed by experience of income and costs. I’m trying to get his presentation and will post it here for record.

If I’m claiming an income of 6 laks per acre, the burden of proof is on me and I have to present the data. Why don’t people question Krishnappa and request him to explain. “

Well I have an answer for this one for sure. I visited one farmer who is situated around 75kms from Mettur dam. He is a follower of “Namalvaar” ( south india’s Palekar but a very interesting a knowledgeable man, he has done his bachelor’s in agri before doing all this). This guy (the farmer) has documented all is expenses and earnings in a book and he says the only reason for documenting it is to show the world that ZBNF works. His farm was magic, as his was the only farm which was green while all the rest of the farms around where not so green or almost dry ( 95% of them depend on water from Mettur dam, even he was depending on the same. When I was visiting his farm he was having a well dug up, he said the well will be ready in a weeks time ).
He said he hadn’t watered the farm for a year as there was no water from the dam, and thus his yield for that year was very poor. I was blown away by the fact that a banana plantation didn’t die even after not watering it for a year ( hard to believe, sounded like a Rajinikanth movie story :sunglasses:), but there was no other water source in the farm so I had to believe :stuck_out_tongue:. He says his soil structure was so good that water retention was very high and even he was talking about the capillary action. Also he says that his intercropping saved him.

Anyone can visit him and he will be happy to show around his farm and his account books.
He says one can easily make 1.5 – 2 lakhs per acre.

Now after doing this bit of research I was thinking I was on the right track, but now I feel a bit dizzy.

Can the forum members provide a tried and trusted fool proof method which I can implement and be it anyway Chemical, organic or anything else and be sure that I will win for sure.

My goal is to be successful farmer and not a messenger of any particular method.
Seeking guidance from all the Forum gurus….

Subramanian…Good luck in becoming a full time farmer, I’m sure you will do very well and best of luck. I must say I have met many successful farmers many organic and few inorganic. The point is not about profitability, one can make a profit. In fact I made a small profit from my first crop of mangoes this year. And you know what, I did not do anything, in fact I messed up a little bit by pruning the tree during winter. Next year I will not :slight_smile:

The lessons captured in your post are spot on, there are a few weekend farmers like who make a small amount by being part time and I’m sure full time will make a world of difference.

At the end of the day almost all organic farming techniques including Palekar say that you need to add biomass and inoculate with micro-organisms. I’m not saying you should not follow palekar’s system you should but be open minded to change a few things. Lets say your soil needs farmyard manure or neem cakes etc., for what ever reasons please consider it and say you need a new organic pesticide which is not in the palaekar book please be open to it.

And in terms of profitability, a new farmer generally likely to make less than an experienced farmer and I’m sure your profitability will increase year on year.

I have met a farmer called Palnisamy from Ketanur in Tamilnadu. He grows organic vegetables mainly gourds on pandal he claims a revenue of 3-5+laks a year. Please see these two videos, they are in tamil. The numbers seems plausible but again it can be variable, I’m not sure I will be able to realize the price even if I match his yield.
youtube.com/watch?v=mN5xZgKIYYc
youtube.com/watch?v=D0PwaxJE1Mo

Subramanian wish you all the luck.
so many people have already proved. With out synthetic products and non modern technologies one can achieve profit or live a decent life. Dr. Namalvaar is one example as posted by you. Hope to see his farm in coming few months. He is weak and frail currently, very knowledgeable person.

I got attracted and started learning natueco through Deepak Suchde when he visited Bombay once.

I use the mixture of natueco and ZBNF. However natueco requires a lot of biomass which I am currently short of and it gets easily eaten up by slugs, Millipedes and other insects. So I use Jeevamruth nowdays.

Our land is filled with coconut palm everywhere. So don’t or cannot exactly following the 5 layer pattern of ZBNF. Cannot risk felling trees.

However I have create a small trench for each coconut palm and pour jeevamruth. I have been doing it since last 1.5 years and production has not increased drastically nor dropped.

Chemicals were used on our land long time back, family members don’t even remember. But since last few years only bio mass from our land is only used for feeding coconut(root work - circular trench is dug around the canopy area each year and all the dried mass is added till the monsoon and then later all the soil added back to the canopy area). check the attach image. Please don’t try this as you may damage the roots of the tree.

We are only able to generate some where around 15 to 20k/year through coco sale since last few years.

Now since I have stopped root work on our holding I have planted black pepper, chillies, greater yam, banana, brinjal, pumpkin. There are few other things like turmeric, ginger etc for home use. I also have bee colony, milk production. I hope by this year end I should be able to generate the kind of money. Ideal is to not sell produce to merchants instead sell to people who are aware of healthy nourishing clean food, Not at a very high price but a little above the market price.

Will keep a record of things.

• Also note that If you have 10 banana you may not get all the 10 bunch. expect 6 to 7. That applies for almost all crops.

• Yes you have to device the right technique for your land and do all the activity yourself.

• Also timing plays a very crucial role. No matter how much fertilizer you add. Plants will grow and respond as per moon cycle. Don’t believe me then check a particular plant, not in a flower pot but in a open ground. check for a small plant where you clearly see its growth. just 5 days before and 5 days after full moon you will see the growth. I am yet to understand the complete cycle in detail.

• yes keep the expenses as low as possible.
    (This is where modern farmers get a beating. If you earn 100 you spend 60 towards all the expense, plus all the head ache. Where as if your input is from farm, even if you earn 50 you should be happy and satisfied).
    Rubber has created so much hype in Kerala. But the ground reality is only hard working Christians can do it. They start taping the tree by 3 or 4 am. They work throughout the day. That is how they earn 1 lac and more. Any knowledgeable rubber farmer will never tie or let cows graze in rubber plantation, roots will get damaged. goats and chicken can still be considered.
    Also cows and goats like rubber leaf, since it has sugar content. But it is poisonous latex reacts in their stomach.

Check the 2 and 3 rd image.
It is 6 moths old tapioca. I only used jeevamruth 3 to 4 times and watered it 3 to 4 times carrying water using pots and not through a motor-pump. No synthetic chemicals were used. neighboring farmers were impressed by the result. But if you see image 2 tapioca seem to be malnourished and small. just 2.5 feet tall. where as synthetic fertilized tapioca were way to tall almost 6 to 7 feet, but root production was some what same and in some cases it was lower than mine.
Land was tilled as it is paddy field. Good amount of mulching was used.

PS: I am doing it on a small scale so cannot give the price and result as of now. I have not yet started to sell produce.

Here is some of pictures of Sri.Nagarajus farm, He claims from moringa alone he can make 1lac+. We did not ask about mosambi(I am sure atleast 40K) and chilli(atleast 10K). He has plans to addtwo more layers with vegetables. He is waiting to moringa to come up little bigger.
Pic1 Mosambi @ 18feet spacing. around each mosambi 4x moringa
Pic2 Mosambi and chilli. Can you makeout chilli. It is is in symbiotic form.
Pic3 Sri.Nagaraju and Subramanian during discussion(Ashish sharma on the corner,me:photographer)
pic4 Ants and termites made 1 inch big hole. Water passes thru this to reach ground water table

pictures are taken in peak summer and the location is Basampalli, near Dharmavaram.I did not see any green for kilometers but this farm is stands like a oasis in the desert.

Adding that when we talk about farm income, our investment on land purchase also to be considered. Am from Kottayam Kerala where rubber is main crop. in rubber we can get 80-95K per acer but same time land cost of 1acere is Rs 50 lacs to 1.5 cr. So purchasing a new land for farming for particular targeted income need to be throughly analaysed and checked,. again recent breeds of rubber trees are prone to disceses and easly break in winds. so on and average income to be considered 75K per. The most unfortunate situation is that people are getting lazy when mono crop practiced. any person can easily tap rub 300-400 trees alone in atleast own farm. but farmer even with 100 trees depend on paid labour. in our are 1 tree tapping cost Rs 2.5 and paid tapist statrs only after 8 am and hence yeield rates decrease. if own tapping it can be done in morning and yeild may increase.

now people from Kerala started to purchase land in Maharastra and Karnataka to grow rubber. In KA land for rubber cost 7-8lac but still people find it is an opportunity.

from all our discussion, finds that like any career own contribution is the key factor in generating income from farming along with less investement in land purchase.

rgds
mathew

Ok. We lost focus for a while.
So finally what is the verdict. If not six lakhs, how much/acre is possible.

for multi crop in best practice mode

I would like to set on moderate ie small holding less than 4 acer rs. 1.5lac per acere and for more larger holding rs. 80K/acer maximum

rest all bonus.

rgds
mathew

[quote=sri2012]
So finally what is the verdict. If not six lakhs, how much/acre is possible.[/quote]

In coconut-Arecanut and other inter crops pattern? The verdict is that there’s no verdict. We don’t have enough examples and the only one (Krishanappa’s) isn’t mature yet to say anything conclusively.

In natural farms in general? Subramanian and others claim to have met farmers routinely making 1.5-2 lakh / acre but the skeptics don’t believe this. Which is why your visit along with AK to Tumkur this Sunday would be great. It should bring some clarity to the debate.

Waiting for experts information or continuity of this topic…

Regards
Krishna

Thank you Sir,

Coul not View the Videos. Reeiing an Eror Message as it is Private Video. Kindly activate the Videos or send a Mail to me with a Link to view the Videos.

vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com

sir,
none of the videos are opening please.
can u please recheck

regards
Rajesh

hi guys…

very new here and just a farm enthusiast with interest in agri commodities…
lets assume you can only make 1.5 lakh/acre on your 5 acres =7.5 lakhs of tax free income…
if you own your cow and wish to take only 1liter/day and leave the rest = add 15k rupees/year…

The elephant in the room is : Inflation !!!

1. While you have a working farm your immune to inflation because agri commodities are the first to reflect inflation with near perfect correlation.
    milk used to cost 12rs 6 years back now goes for Rs40+…
    but your salary wont double every 5 years its will ultimately hit a plateau and progressive taxation starts eating into your salary hikes…

2. Unlike your body your farm wont retire the more you keep it natural the more fertile it gets and in future might not even need lots of work if you go for perennial crops…

3. Because India is still a farmers country you always get special treatment from government like (subsidies this and that) unlike private sector employees…

so i am of the opinion that if you can keep costs low and work on building your soil quality faming can indeed be rewarding and satisfying profession…
so if you are serious about farming think of how it will make your life self sustained…

currently farming is very loathed in our society as an investor i have learn that you should invest in things that no one wants to… same goes with profession…
no one wants to be farmer these days so who ever grabs this opportunity will taste success…

So trying to put hard number on yield is very tricky…its like any other business several factors effect the profit… farming is no different…
this orchid model of farming is very appealing because it takes care of:

1.reducing operating costs
2.diversifying yield
3.enriching soil
4.creating self sufficiency for your family

to put matters straight 80% of indians spend 60% of their income on food alone…
so your first goal is cut your food expenditure by growing food you eat…

thanks,

shashi :smiley:

This thread seemed to have stopped here…
I have read all the posts and am of the opinion that Rs. 6 lacs per acre is a rather tall claim, however, there is nothing that is not impossible.
Most of the crops are agricultural based, how about if one mixes crops along with other, for example, fisheries, poultry, goat breeding (in limited quantity), ducks, etc.
Agricultural products command a lower price, non agricultural products can get a better pricing.
Also, I am a firm believer that music can increase yield along with the health of the soil.
If we broadcast morning/afternoon/evening/night ragas to the plant and animal life, their quality and produce can increase (so i strongly feel)
The population is only going to rise, hence there will be demand on food, which will only make their prices rise, as sasime2 rightly says, by growing your own food, we beat inflation!!
I have serious plans of going into agriculture, for that purpose, a purchase of a parcel of land has been made, its only, when to start and how to start, given to understand that one needs to be there 24x7, and a 5-6 year period is required for the farm to start yielding.
Like Mr.Suresh Palekar, I have had the opportunity of meeting another Guru of Natural farming, Mr. Bhasker Save, this man is an agricultural genius, his farm is Natural and worth a watch.
He has a philosophy, if we try to commercialize farming, we then ruin the quality of the soil, spot on…so he treats Mother earth, with respect, still makes money, as the land gives him plenty of surplus to sustain.

I am of the opinion that if we mix Non Agricultural and Agricultural products as well as add some flavour (indian ragas), we can achieve 6 lacs per acre, has anyone tried this?

Michael

Correction. It is Sri.Subhash Palekar.

Thank you Sir,

What is the use in Posting links of Videos duly keeping under Private Viewing. I have requested several times for editing and making use of these Videos for Forum Members. Kindly make use of the Forum Members.

Here is a video want to share on this thread - This is not exactly about the main topic of discussion.

The krishnappa’s video which triggered this discussion, was poted on youtube by one Mr. Sharat
Now he is into palekar’s way of farming
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xfy3JmZwrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xfy3JmZwrs[/url]
NOTE: video is in Telugu. Non-telugu members please bear.

I’m not sure if Sharat is a member on our forum!

Revive this topic?

The last reply to this topic was 806 days ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.
Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?

I got this message when I began to reply to this topic! :slight_smile:

However I read through the beginning of this thread and found it extremely relevant even today.

Have folks on the thread managed to have new research and conclusions now?