Video Testimonial: Rs. 6 Lakh per Acre from Natural Farming

It is perhaps Subhash Palekar’s greatest contribution to natural farming (after Jeevamrutha, if not even bigger) – the cropping patterns that are included in his books for various horticultural crops, vegetables, grains, cereals, cash crops etc.

These patterns are plantation blueprints that not just provide names of possible inter crops but provide precise placement and distance between main crops and the different inter crops that have been carefully selected to work in a synergistic relationship to provide nutrient / shade / support to other crops.

See, for example, the pattern attached in this post that he calls “Multi Cropping Millionaire Pattern of Coconut Plantation.” It includes coconut as the main crop (both tall and dwarf varieties) and seven inter crops namely Gliricidia, Vanilla, Arecanut, Black Pepper, Banana, Coffee and Chilli. (this is similar to pattern in the video but not the same)

The following video is a testimonial to the success of Subhash Palekar’s cropping patterns and how profitable they are. (the description below is by the person who recorded and posted the video to YouTube)

Video Description (video included below this text)

Sri Krishnappa Dasappa Gowda has developed this model in 5 acres. He has divided that 5 acres into equal blocks of 36ft X 36ft. In this video, he explains that in each block of 36 ft x 36 ft (which is further divided into four 9ft X 9ft sub-blocks) he is growing around 170 [plants and] trees.

In that he is explaining about the yield he is getting in a 9ft x 9 ft portion of land (one sub-block). He planted 1 Banana tree, 4 Arecanut Trees, 4 Black pepper creepers climbing on Arecanut trees, 2 Coffee plants, 2 Gliricidia trees, 2 Vanilla creepers climbing on Gliricidia trees & 32 Ginger plants in each 9ft X 9ft area.

He says that the Yield from:

(1) 1 Banana Tree - 10 Kg X Rs.20/- = Rs. 200=00

(2) 4 Arecanut Trees - 25 Kg x 4 Trees x Rs.15/- = Rs.1500=00

(3) 2 Vanilla creepers + 2 Gliricidia Trees - 50 gms x 2 trees x Rs.3/- = Rs. 300=00

(4) 4 Black Pepper creepers - 1 Kg x 4 x Rs.400/- = Rs.1600=00

(5) 2 Coffee plants - 2 Kg x 2 Plants x Rs.80/- = Rs. 320=00

(6) 32 Ginger plants - 0.15 kg x 32 x Rs.100/- = (Rs. 480=00) (This income Rs.480/- is utilized for expenses)

Total income from 9ft x 9 ft (Sub- block) land = Rs.3800 = 00

So, for each 36ft x 36ft block (4 Sub-blocks + 1 Coconut tree + 1 Mosambi tree) the total income is approximately Rs.18000 = 00.

Explanation:- income from each 9ft X 9ft sub-block = Rs.15,200/-  In addition to these blocks he planted 1 Mosambi (citrus) tree and 1 Coconut Tree in each 36ft X 36ft block and the income from them is Rs.2000/- and Rs.1000/- respectively. So, the total income from each 36ft X 36ft Block is Rs.18,200/- and rounded off to Rs.18,000/-

For 1 acre there are 33 similar blocks like this. So, the total income per acre is Rs.6 Lakh approx. (Rs.18,200/- X 33 blocks = Rs.6,00,600/- and rounded off to 6 Lakhs).

CONCLUSION : He doesn’t have any borewell in his farm and he says that his land is a double wet land and mostly it is rainfed, canal water is used very rarely during peak summer. Water consumption is 10% of regular farming. He suggests that all the farmers should adopt similar Natural Farming Methods and grow plants & crops suitable for their local climate and reap money. Wish you all the best .

Video by Sarath Pendekanti, Mobile : 09989853366.

youtube.com/watch?v=plgB6xuztlk

Subhash Palekar’s book list is also attached. They are available in English, Kannad, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi and Marathi. Also heard of Punjabi translation under progress a couple of years ago, you may check with the numbers included if that interests you.

Subhash-Palekar-Books-list.pdf (47.5 KB)

Hello newbie447,

Thanks for the post and the video, it is very encouraging.

I am a little confused by the numbers, though. If each 9ft x 9ft sub-block yields Rs. 3,800 then the income from an acre should be much more than 6 lakhs. Each 36ft x 36ft block has 16 sub-blocks of 9ft x 9ft. If you imagine a square of 36ft x 36ft like in the picture from Palekarji’s book, you can fit 4 squares of 9ft x 9ft along its length and 4 squares along the breadth - a total of 16 squares. By my calculations, you should get Rs.60,800 + Rs.2,000 (citrus) + Rs.1,000 (coconut) from a 36ft x 36ft block. The income from an acre should be around Rs. 21 lakhs! To boot, no cubicles!

Cheers,
Karthik

Karthik, you are right - there should be 16 such blocks in 36 sq.ft not 4 as stated in video. Even after allotting some space to mousambi tree, coconut tree and trenches, if any, it doesn’t explain. Maybe you can comment on the video on Youtube and get Sarath Pendekanti to respond.

Numbers are very fancy and attractive and inspired to adopt the model. but same time accept the fact that time, efforts, labour …etc spent to get these numbers.  He has developed the farm with several attempts, continues motivation, self discipline …etc and then enjoying the fruits of labour now.  so when we do attract to the out come of success we also mind to the efforts, sacrifice, labour, time…etc he has spent behind this success.

with best wishes

rgds
mathew

[quote="rmathewsin"]
accept the fact that time, efforts, labour …etc spent to get these numbers.  [/quote]

Very true. Some of the tree crops in the model take a long time to mature to give peak output.

Very impressive numbers, but not practical.  What is been given is a possible figures not what he has achieved, sincere request to not base any of your projects on these numbers.

As per my estimate, he should be earning anything between 30 -40 thousand rupees per acre.  I had visited his place, you may want to read some info here too farmnest.com/forum/natural-farmi … 5/#msg7815.

I think the message we need to take from his farm is “it is quite possible to grow using natural farming method”, please do not go by the income that is projected.

[quote="hegdegg"]
Very impressive numbers, but not practical.  What is been given is a possible figures not what he has achieved, sincere request to not base any of your projects on these numbers.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your visit. However, what you shared in the post you linked and what you state here are two different things. In that post you state that the figures are “potential earnings not the actual earning” but here you state that earnings are “not practical.” By which I take it you mean they cannot be achieved.

From your linked post I can surmise that since the trees are still young, they are not yet achieving what is claimed in the video. But the potential to earn is still there. If that is correct, I’d like to know what new information have you acquired since then that made you change your opinion to “it’s not practical” and not to be used for projections.

I agree with hegdegg. The price of products used are mostly retail and the farmer never gets retail price for his produce. What is interesting is the cropping pattern and some of the concoctions such as Jeevamurta etc.,

The crops in the farm require good amount of water. Bannur krishnappa does not have bore-well but get cauvery channel water hence.

Again I would suggest please do not go by the number it is very dangerous.

[quote="Narasinga"]
I agree with hegdegg. The price of products used are mostly retail and the farmer never gets retail price for his produce. [/quote]

Yes the prices are higher but then keep in mind that this is naturally farmed produce. I’ve met a natural farming practitioner (Samar Pal, Bijnor, UP) who routinely sold his produce at 50-100% premium compared to RETAIL price. He has a small outlet in the city itself. His products are popular as he has goodwill and people appreciate tasty food without pesticide content. Samarpal doesn’t have an organic farming certification. He doesn’t need it.

Still, even if you halve Krishnappa’s projected income or reduce it 4 times - you’d still have a figure that even the best and most advanced modern / chemical farming practitioners would find difficult to meet.

I am awaiting feedback from Hegde on what new information made him change his mind in the period intervening his first post made on his return from Krishnappa’s farm and now due to which his opinion went from “potential earnings” to “not practical.”

I am on newbie’s side. Please understand “Our intention is to bring out the truth”

Let us discuss on break ups. Firstly the method of calculation is wrong. The trees on the peripheri of the square are common for two adjoining squares. So number of trees must be calculated per acre not per 36’x36’. lets call 36’x36’ as 1 mosaic
For eg Coconut on corners(4 nos) of mosaic. like this 33 mosaics /acre.  it is wrong to calculate 33(mosaics)x4trees=132 trees. In reality there are only 33 trees. Let us go as per Sri.Palekars original numbers.

1 coconut(tall veriety) tree yeilds 80 to 100 on average. Let us take 80 as worst case. 80x5rs. 400rs/tree/year. so 33x400rs=13,200rs.

Let us take coconit dwarf verirty also same 13200rs

Banana 528 numbers/acre. Yelakki banana(desi veriety)  average yeild/palnt is 12kg. 12kgx20rs=240rs  528x240=126720rs

Leave Gliricidia and Vanilla-If we get anything out of these it is just bonus.

Arecanut 528 trees. in traditional farming also same spacing so we will take 60quintals of nuts with skin. 60quintals X 900rs/quintal=54,000( this very much on lower side)

Blackpepper 528 creepers yeilds up to 50kg let us keep 5kg as worst case 528x2kg=1056  1056kgx350rs/kg=3,69,600

Coffee he claims(sri.Krishnappa) 1 kg/palnt. Coffee planter say it is difficult. Let us keep 250gm/palnt .25x528palnts=132kg 132*80rs=10560

Chilli is bonus(because per plant yeild is not available)

This totals to 5,60,880 rs /acre. This yeild will be from 5th year of planting.

All the yeild and rates are taken on lower side, So this estimate is not a optimistic figure. The estimation doesnot include loss due to desease,drought,theft etc.

[color=red]NOW lets discuss with break ups.[/color]

GG,

request you to provide break up of 40000/acre.

1 Like

I again agree with newbie. Let us halve the figure just for the sake of wholsale/retail dispute. So let be 3lacs/acre.

Newbie:
I have discussed with many farm experts on this model, non agrees. They are not convinced with spacing. There is no other technical reason.
Then what is the explaination for successfull plantations of UHD and HD with monocrop. I am convinced with 4.5 ft spacing depending upon canopy management.
So nobody technically convinced me why 5 layer model is impractical.

Sri…Bannana and pepper make the largest potion of your income calculations. I’m not sure the price of Bannana is 20rs throughout the year. A friend of mine has sold it for 4 rupees a kg. I’m not qualified to comment on pepper, but would like to know from a pepper farmer (non-palekar) if the yields and prices are inline with numbers discussed. And does harvesting of areca affect coz there are pepper vines on the areca tree.

In terms of retailing directly has its own challenges but is not the solution to all farmers. Yes organic produce commands a premium but is not true all the time and above all the organic market still small. For example there is not a large organic banana market which is willing to pay a higher price.

I must also indicate this cropping pattern is not suitable for water scare areas.

Narasinga Sir,

Your friend would have sold G9 banana for 4rs/kg. I agree sometimes G9 goes to that level. but yelakki banana past 10 months it was 25rs/kg.

As far as pepper plants here is a contact(check prajavani 11june13) He is Asias largest pepper grower farmer awarded by Malasian spice board. His avarage produce is 40tonnes from 30acres. He is selling at 350/kg

The crop pattern is for mlnad area. for rainfed area there is separate set of pattern.

Sri, you’ve really stimulated this discussion and enriched it with your experience and citations of yield and prices. Thank you for that. So based on your calculations too the projections come out good. Now only thing that requires verification is whether the estimated yield in this cropping pattern is possible or not. I suppose, we will have to wait a few years to find out or are there similar examples of such closely spaced crops getting this yield? 

I should add that the reason for high yield in high density plantations (mango, guava etc) is somewhat different. The principle behind high density is that by heavily pruning the trees at regular intervals, you prevent the tree from taking on girth and thereby direct the energy produced by the leaves towards fruit production instead of cellulose formation in tree trunk.

The same cannot be said of coconut + various inter crop pattern of Palekar. Having said that, Palekar argues in his books that it’s definitely possible to obtain high yield in closely spaced plants / trees suggested in his model due to synergistic relationship between the crops.

I have not found replica of Sri.Krishnappa’s pattern. There are few forum members who wants to keep low profile have decided to follow sri.palekars 5 layer model of dryland(rainfed)(including me).

They have decided,if the spacing is a concern, the middle row can be removed. But I have practically see 9 feet spacingwoking good.(mango,sapota) and (arecanut,banana) intercrops.

yes you will have to wait for 5 years to know the results.

As far as yeild is concerned I have multiple sources to confirm this.

Pruning: Sri. Palekar has discussed about this in the crop pattern for rainfed areas. He mentions that we have to avoid hand shaking of trees by pruning.

I agree coconut and arecanut cannot be pruned, but if you look at the canopy management, the trees are selected so that they dont handshake.

Regarding spacing…planting too many trees ‘close by’ can reduce the yield (until unless they have been provided enough water and fertilizer). I had a similar situation when I bought the land. There were too many arecanut trees between coconut trees and I could clearly see the coconut tress struggling especially some of the younger ones. I had to cut down few arecanut trees at the end.
The coconut tree had become curvy (to reach out to sunlight) instead of growing straight.

As Sri pointed out, canopy mgmt will be the key aspect in this sort of high density planting…

-Biju

Thanks for sharing. Can you tell us how closely (in feet) were the Arecanut trees to the coconut tree that had curved?

Between 2 rows of coconut trees (30 feet apart), there were 2 rows of arecanut trees. The arecanut trees were 10 ft away from coconut trees.

CN <-10 Ft -> AN <-10 Ft -> AN <- 10 Ft - > CN

I also tend to believe that even timing of the planting matters. In my case arecanut trees were well established and coconut tress were coming up…Coconut trees are ‘heavy feeder’ and they were not looked after well. May be proper crop mgmt would have seen a different result.

-Biju

Sri…The yield of yelaki is 6-7kgs after u remove the waste, the buyer deducts money for this. The wait will be 4-5kgs a bunch. I do think it is dangerous to overstate the yield.  I’m not comfortable going by news paper reports, when it comes to such stories  they will always be positive. And importantly for calculation & planning we should be conservative and take a lower number rather than the yield.

I have managed to visit a few farmers and not been able to confirm with any farmer who is making 6 laks per year consistently every year.