The forum feedback thread

Good ideas, Prashant.

1. Announcements - create a topic in a relevant section and let me know by email, so the topic can be highlighted on the forum home page as a news item and highlighted in the newsletter too. We could do a scroll etc. too depending on the item. If the item is such that a forum topic would be too much, just email me and it can be put up as a new item on the forum home.

2. Compiling scheme and organization info etc. - the wiki is a great place for such static content. The whole design of the site was made foreseeing that several interested community members can update the pages (we can create a login for each interested member). Obviously, the moderators will not be able to update all the content.

For example, we could have a page like ‘Farm Schemes of Tamilnadu’ if some members are willing to build it - it need not be at once or by one person but can be gradual and when we have time. Useful news articles, schemes, organizations, farm practices could all be a few pages. I had asked a few guys to compile the process to buy land in some of the states earlier with little success, but the possibilities are endless. Let me know if you (or anyone else) is interested to experiment - it is simple.

An old example is: farmnest.com/Farm+Fencing

It is better to start independent post/subject as on when it may coming in to members knowledge.
Any other members also can add further information in the suited subject matters.

Iam starting a new subject matter of GROUNDNUT CULTIVATION in which all can add any relevant information about cultivation, management, free seeds availability schemes, new improved varieties etc will meet the expectations of any laymen members if any.

You can check about my MEMORDICA DIOCIA CULTIVATION hunt with one man effort. Any one can come and join in such posts with relevant information in all angles.

Another suggestion is to start a new board section for Exchange / Trade or Sharing of farm implements / seeds etc between members from the same regional area. Many farm implements are used only a few times a year and are redundant most of the time. Thus any community effort to share them or buy collectively will be useful for all.

The idea of this board section occurred to me when I read a member’s offer to share saplings with another member without cost. A dedicated section on this would be nice. Perhaps the section on product reviews which has remained with zero posts so far can be renamed for this? Or a new one may be started.

Finally, I appreciate that Chandra is so open to new ideas and responds to each post helpfully.

Hi newbie, that sounds good, but I am not sure people will come out to announce that they would like share an implement? Thoughts welcome.

The Product Reviews section was added on suggestion from a member; and my view is that it will get starting populated sooner or later :slight_smile:

[quote=Chandra]
Hi newbie, that sounds good, but I am not sure people will come out to announce that they would like share an implement? Thoughts welcome.[/quote]

Well they would if they get another implement / service in return that they lack themselves. Let’s say my farm is within a few km of another member. If both of us decide to share a single tractor or a single pumpset, there can be tremendous saving for both.

Yes, I have no doubts that will help - in fact I myself had benefited from someone who was willing to lend.

My question is if you would come forward and post you want to lend an implement? In other words, what are the chances of a category with zero posts :smiley:
But let us experiment if you think that will work.

Yes I think it’s worth a try for regions around Bangalore, for example, where a lot of members are based. Although the majority are farm enthusiasts rather than practicing farmers but I think it will pick up with time.

Ok newbie, the new board ‘Sharing, Member Meets and Networking’ should carry this kind of information now on.
Thanks.

Hi Mathew,

If you compare the forum rules of team-bhp and this forum, you will find they are strikingly close. The focus of this forum is to have quality interactions that have some utility, even if they are just a small number. Each day, several posts are removed, moved or merged, which you would have personally experienced (and probably disliked); for example, several hundreds of topics were removed in the last couple of weeks alone. Also, member registrations are regulated through automated and manual means. A separate Ads section is in place to make it easy to post commercial information, at the same time keeping the forum discussion free of buy-sell-wanted kind of posts - we are not against commercial posts, they just need to be at the right place. All this regulation causes some discomfort, but is essential if we all want to have some quality.

I think every forum will have a different perspective - we just want this one to be like reaching out to a farmer or enthusiast next door with any query that comes up and a platform to pool the collective knowledge of the community. You will also see we now have offline collaboration among folks locally too through meets etc. which is great. The ag info site you reference should be given all credit in that it has been in existence for more than 12 years or so from when internet was not so ubiquitous; their tagline and focus if you notice is buyers, sellers and marketplace or something to that effect (which is not necessarily the same as knowledge pooling) and they do adequate justice to the kind of platform they positioned it as.

Thank you for your support and ideas. Keep them coming.

Well noted Chandraji…

I think it is a good idea to share tools, but sometimes people do forget that the implements are far away. For example, sharing within a 20 km range would probably be great, but more than that would be impractical.

Shiv

Check out the new board Pests, Diseases, Deficiencies, Disorders

Thank you Mr. Chandra,
REALLY I AM APPRECIATING YOUR EFFORTS IN MAKING OUR FORUM USEFUL TO EVERYBODY.
MANNE.SN,B.Com.,LLB.,

Thank you Mr. Chandra for Your Efforts in Maintaining well our FarmNest.Com. It is suggestion that when ever a Quote is Posted earlier Message is being Displayed.

It may not be necessary to Keep the earlier Message for each quote.For reference one can go to original Post instead ready reference.It will take more space than that of the Original post.

Hence it is better to put default to delete the Original Message from the Quote Box so that more important posts can keep on this default action of deleting from quote BOX.

For example I have deleted the Original Message of the post to see the difference.

Further it is better to put the details of the Posting Person as default in the Quote/Reply instead of writing the details of the Member who quote/Reply.If it is Possible kindly consider.

MANNE.SN, BCom.,LLB.,

Thank you vasudhafarms, appreciate your support.

Clicking Reply button instead of Quote is the solution for this; but depends on the poster - you will see this button at the end of every topic.
You are right it is not always necessary to quote posts.