PKM1 drumstick is profitable

I have experience with small scale PKM1 drumstick (Murungai). Which is profitable to me.
Even I collected seeds and sell to neighbor farmers. They also get good profit compare to their previous crops like ground nut, rice, tapiacco etc.
Anybody looking alternative crops may try at 1-5 acre level is advisible. If you plan large area consider the marketing potential.

hi agri1972,

Nice to hear PKM1 results.

I am also planning for PKM1 seeds for one acre.

Can I buy the seeds in the general seed shop or is there any specific brand for PKM1 seeds?

With PKM1, I am planning Taiwan Red lady papaya, and fast yielding lemon.

What do you think about this combination??

regards,
rajsekhar

Hi Rajasekar,
It is good idea. But I don’t have experience with papaya or intercroping with PKM1. Hope it will works well.
You can buy from the shop. There is no specific brand for the PKM1, since it is developed from a government university.
I have 4 Kg seed with me, but my price is Rs 3000/kg.
If the price nearby your market is higher than my amount you may cantact 9965828641 (Senthil). We will send it buy courior for more than 1/2 Kg orders.

Hi Agri1972 - how did you market your drumsticks? Details on the rate and qty sold would be helpful.

There is a wholesale procurement market 25 Km away from my farm. We will sale there. The price will be Rs 10/kg during abundance and goes up to Rs 100/Kg. Rs. 20 itself is profitable.
Since it is whole sale I don’t need to search buyers. The merchants will assemble there and fix a price.

Dear farmer friends, as far as my study is concerned, PKM 1 variety of Moringa Olifera,Drum sticks are a very well proven in the global/domestic markets. Very friendly variety for farmers ,well accepted by the markets and consumers and very tasty if grown organically. Comparitively with less prone to diseases and pest. A farmer can grow in 1 acre to any extent say hundred of acres any where in south india. Almost local markets available for few acres farmers all around south India and ODDANA CHATRAM,a whole sale market in tamilnadu, near Dindigul and Madurai , can cater the needs of Large farmers. It is learnt that in season hundreds of tonnes of Moringa Olifera is traded with out pain. The great part of Moringa Olifera,drum sticks, the pods have good markets along with its leaf,seeds (fresh as well dried) is having very good demand including BEN oil extracted from dried seeds. Here we should not for get one thing that these varieties are high yielders and require high in puts of fertilisers either organic or in-organic, and micro nutrients, if not quality and quantity is drastically reduced.So i thinkthere is no problem for marketing and some times rates will be burning range. The seeds are marketed by Tamilnadu Agriculture University, periyakulam,coimbatore i think at the rate Rs 1,600/- per kg and you can contact Vegetables section of TNAU, 04222430781. I advise farmers to study and and go in large extents.g.p.rao, farmer

But This month the huge quantities of moringa come to market. I can sell only Rs 3-7/Kg in whole sale.
The cost even not meet the labour charge for picking and transportation.
I don’t know when will the price increase to >Rs 20.

Anybody requires Moringa >20/Kg pls reply.

Hi all,
I have few queries regarding PKM1 as below .

Our area (Nothren Maharashtra) Monsoon starts at 2nd week on june, July is peak and Aug Sep will be lesser rain, average rainfall 700 mm with overall dry weather . Our area agricultural activities starts by 2nd week of june along with monsoon.

From few email threads I understood PKM1 starts yielding in 6/8 months till 3 years and harvesting is twice a year.
I assume 2.5 x 2.5 meters spacing is good which needs approximately 600gram seeds per Ha .

In this climatic condition what is ideal time for sowing these seeds ?
For plantation do we need to have pits or seeds can be directly dibbed in to the rows ploughed ?
Is flood irrigation fine with PKM1 ?

Please provide your suggestions for above queries .

Thanks & regards,
Prashant

Hi Prashant,
The weather mentioned by you will be sufficient for PKM1.
Season: You may grow on the onset of monsoon (June-July). The seedlings require water until 3-6 months.

Spacing: 1.8 m is sufficient.

Seeds: about 1 Kg/Ha is required.

Planting and irrigation: Plough to remove weeds and improve soil physical condition. Dibble 2 seeds/hole in 2 inch depth with 1.8 M spacing. It will come up well. If you don’t have drip then form beds and channels and irrigate once in a week for first two months and later depends on the availability of water. Prolonged flooding cause wilt and death.

After three months maintain 1 plant and remove the second one. Grow 50-100 seeds in polythene bags and use it to plant in empty pits. It germinates and come up well. To remove excess weeds cover the seedlings with polythene covers and spray glycel +Amm sulphate after 2 or three months.

We harvest pods after the first year. Presently we are getting bumper yield, but the price is poor.

Prune to maintain height and eliminate over foliage. Pruning will increase bearings.

For additional doubts call 9965828641

Hi agri1972,
thanks a lot for your kind reply and all the info provided .
Best regards,
Prashant

Thanks agri1972 for the info
Regarding exporting leaves powder, seeds do you have any idea. I see lot of independent large companies doing the same.
Is the price fall(supply increase) seasonal? Do you see a pattern in a given year.

Thanks,
Seshu

Dear Seshu sir, It is very difficult for a farmer to export dry leaf powder and dry seeds, as it requires in huge quantities. BEN oil will be prepared with dry seeds but to do, still more large quantities of dry seeds are required. Prices of the above will be good always and with very less fluctuations. The above said BEN oil and dry leaf powder is required vey much in international markets. g.p.rao,farmer

GP Rao is correct.
In addition the exporter buy the seeds only Rs. 200-400/Kg for oil. It is very very low amount. I did not ask about dry leaf powder.
Better sell green pods. The price is low for several months. But high price for few months will compensate.

[quote=agri1972]
GP Rao is correct.
In addition the exporter buy the seeds only Rs. 200-400/Kg for oil. It is very very low amount. I did not ask about dry leaf powder.
Better sell green pods. The price is low for several months. But high price for few months will compensate.
[/quote] Dear Agri 1972 sir, thank you for your market observations. We will be astonished if we know the price and importance of BEN oil. But huge and abnormal quantities are required to make BEN oil and for us, small farmers it is difficult. The weight of dry seeds will be only 1 or 2 % on comparision with the pod weight, which is not economical for farmers like us. Hence i too recomend selling green pods for domestic use, as suggested by you. As far as dry leaf powder is concerned ,it is good for small farmers and the farmer gets considerable good money on its sale, and even the farmers can grow Moringa Olifera plants in ultra high density and can get good/huge quantities of dry leaf powder. It is economical for small farmers provided with good market facilities. g.p.rao, farmer

Dear GP Rao,

We too interested to dry and the moringa leaf powder. but we don’t know the processing method.

Pls describe brief and abou the marketing opportunities.

Ran

Dear Sri Ran (agri1972) sir, Please study first about Moringa Olifera (Drum Stick) leaves powder production. It is very rich in vitamins,very nutritious, and can be added in any food,beverage or drink and helps lean,weak children, ladies living in slum areas, good rich food for mostly for ladies and children in poor,undevelopped countries. The Moringa dry leaves powder got very good demand. It can be added in so many food preparations . Growing Moringa Olifera for leaves is diffarent from growing for pods. Pl try to visit few farms in Tamilnadu, who are growing Moringa Olifera for leaves. For leaf production, go for high density plantation. Distance between Row to Rpow and plant to plant should be around 3 ft x 2 ft, or say 4 ft x 3 ft, say around 4 to 7 thousand plants per acre ,approximately (decide the high density plantation after studying some project). After plantation allow the plant to grow for 3 to 4 months and then cut at a height of 6 inch to 30 inch height from ground level, again prune the side branches twice and allow the plant to grow fully. Take out the leaves and dry them in shade, in driers, in special equipments basing on the quantity. The drying process should be very much hygenic, if not will be rejected for edible grade and it should be only for other purposes at low rate. After drying process,sieve it mannually or by mechanical means basing on the quantity. OR you can sell the dried leaves also. Best pruning time is rainy season. After pruning feed the plants with sufficient fertilisers. Lot of demand for ORGANIC Moringa Olifera dry Leaf powder in domestic and international markets.I suggest you to first study the market, similar mfg units and then start. g.p.rao, farmer

Hello Sir,

I am planning to plant PKM1 drumstick in Jaipur, Rajasthan. The temperature goes upto 49 degrees in summers and drops to 0 degree in winters.

Is the climatic condition suitable for drumstick?

Also, I have been visiting mandis to explore the market but no one seems to trade it here in Delhi or Rajasthan.

Please guide.

Its consumed mostly in the south India and not a favorite of North ? aalekh, You are a localite in that area you should know it well.
Atleast I have not seen my north Indian friends getting serious about eating drumstick

Any comments please

I differ a bit to Shri. Seshuko.

Moringa is in demand with retail rates of Rs 4000/- per 100 kgs in general season and during peak demands the rates soar 4 times the normal rates. Please check the actual rates available in mandis which can be done online as well. For todays rates across India for Moringa see agmarknet.nic.in/cmm1_home.asp?c … 168&var3=1

For all other commodities visit agmarknet.nic.in/

Hope this helps.

Parag Joshi