Organic or less harmful alternative to Endosulfan

hi,

Have been reading so much bad press about Endosulfan, and that most countries have
banned it or will soon enough.

If we don’t intend to use Endosulfan, then please suggest a better organic or less harmful
alternative. I want to use it for my fruit trees like Mango, Peru, Chickoo and Papaya.

Looking for your recommendations.

thx

You raise a good point, it appears like a lot of farmers not just in India are looking for a viable alternative. Desk research shows there has not been a clear alternative, but I find suggestions to go organic, use neem, used engine oil (!), or substitute with chlorpyrifos and other chemicals.

Used Engine oil: allvoices.com/s/event-731407 … EuaHRtbA==

Chlorpyrifos for coffee borer: thehindubusinessline.com/201 … 042200.htm

These docs have a detailed list of pestwise alternatives:

unece.org/env/lrtap/TaskForc … _final.doc

unece.org/env/lrtap/TaskForc … sulfan.pdf

There have been 60 alternatives suggested to endosulfan at the Stockholm convention. But most of them do not fulfill the POP criteria.
There is no organic or less harmful chemicals which can be used instead of endosulfan.
Major reason being that endosulfan is a contact pesticide, so is less likely to enter the ecosystem while the most of the alternatives fall in the neonicotinides group which are systemic pesticides. Wherever Endosulfan has been substituted by more expensive alternatives like neonicotinoids it has resulted in elimination of honeybees as a result of Colony Collapse Disorders (CCD).

This is why Italy, inspite of banning, used endosulfan during the pest attack on hazelnut crops.

More importantly, all the alternatives suggested are patented products produced by the European Union. Farming becomes expensive as farmers will be forced to buy European patented product at much higher prices. Presently, farmers spend Rs.220 per litre for Endosulfan. If Endosulfan is replaced with Imidachloprid* (patented option touted as a replacement to Endosulfan) the pest control price will increase for these farmers to Rs.2000. Other alternatives thiamethoxam (@Rs.3200/litre) or Coregen (@ Rs.700/litre) will be expensive for poor farmers.

Hello Baseljones:

I presume you are also following the forum on " Is organic farming practical?". I do not see any views from you there, while I can see that you are an imformed person! Why not give other like me who are total novices, the benefit of your more informed views - whether for or against on the specific points being discussed there?

Regards

Ananth

if some one is interested, we can provide an organic product alternate to chemicals.
is any one interested.

Of course, everyone is interested and eagerly waiting!

Possibly you did not see the active discussion on Endosulfan:
farmnest.com/forum/farming-news- … t-on-bees/

@ Ananth
Sure will love to be a part of it.
Well!! Organic farming is any day a great option as the need of the hour is to save the ecosystem. But the major drawback with it is that it is not possible to feed millions of people by this technique. Not till date! Hopefully we can do that soon.
But as of now we can continue using pesticides/insecticides which are safe on beneficials and pollinators.

@Chandra
:slight_smile: thanks for following the steamy discussion there. Would be great if you can share your views there.

A quick update on replacament to endosulfan: Inspite of USA going for a voluntary withdrawal in endosulfan registration till 2016, USA accepts the fact that they do not have a alternative to the current uses of endosulfan (which means the alternatives suggested to endosulfan are completely useless to USA). Yet US had to undertake this decision purely due to commerce reasons which indicates that Endosulfan has caused no harm in USA.

why should we look for us or any other western country to have an alternate for endosulfan. this is available in India itself.
is any one ready and willing to do it.
as said earlier, we have it. we have been using this on large scale.
we have got results.
we can provide results in the field.

@Keshav Puri

Didn’t get your reply. Are you trying to say that there is another alternative to endosulfan in India?

yes. we have an alternate for endosulfan. we have been doing and using it. if any one is needs we can do the needful to them.

Would want to know more about it and where has it been used?

we have been using the same for all crops in india in our projects. we have been using it on a large scale in tea in north east of india. organic tea is produced by using this panacea.

But then why haven’t these products been recommended at the Stockholm Convention as an alternative to endosulfan. There is a huge list of alternatives which also include neonicotinides which are systemic pesticides unlike endosulfan, also proven fatal to millions of honeybees.

Would like to know on how many types of pests is this product effective. If you can share some more properties about it and tell us about the rate of success from the time of its use in India.

the product is developed by us. it is used by us in our projects. we have not made it public. we have kept it sacred as it is derived from Vedas.
we have been using this for all crops in India. it is a panacea for plant life/kingdom. it means this alone is used for any pest or disease.
if someone is interested, then we can help them.

Hi keshavapuri,
Don’t get me wrong, but if you believe the product really works and is helpful to farmers, why do you keep it a secret? (the Vedas never said useful stuff should be a secret as far as I know).

@Keshav Puri

In the name of help you are trying to promote your product as an replacement to endosulfan. And there can be nothing known as secret when it comes to saving life. If you feel it has been so effective why hasn’t the world used it? Why do we still fight over alternatives which are much more harmful.

Share some real facts and proofs to sell your product. Jazz doesn’t work here.

This looks like another green activist pushing their organic products.

Mod note: user is banned, proxy of another user.

baceljones/soboerring/sridharpillay,

One last reminder and warning proxy accounts are not allowed on the forum - this is no dashavatar movie.
soboerring takes a ban, just one final warning goes to baceljones

On the topic, please note this is to discuss alternatives to Endosulfan and not whether Endosulfan is good, bad or ugly.

Thanks.

Oh God!!

One guy says Endosulfan is harmless than any of the alternatives and another guy says he has an excellent organic alternative from Vedas and he wants to keep it as a secret!!
It seems that nowadays we don’t care about the fellow-beings if we can make some money!!

Simply pathetic!!

please no one mistake us. we have been giving this alternate to people who approach us. we have had the taste of misbehavior also from the so called learned people who could not understand us. the biggest problem we are facing is the ego of the people.
many people ill-treat us for no reason. this is the problem.
any one interested may approach us and we will give them.