Natural/Live Fencing

What are the methods of erecting a live fence and what plants are suitable for this purpose ?
The fence is intended to safeguard the crops from cattle grazing by goat, sheep and cows.

I don’t know much about conditions in Tamilnadu, but in uttrakhand “Karonda” (Carissa carandas) can be used as live fence.
I mean to say any plant which is bushy and thorny can be used and it will be benifecial if it gives some extra income also for example Carissa carandas
you should plant them in 2 parallel rows.

Regards
Ashok

1 Like

Varaahan,
don’t know the conditions in your area. But 'pathimugam -Caesalpinia Sappan comes to mind. Hardy, thorny plant that does well in hot humid climates. Is used as a colouring agent and has medicinal value too.

Best of luck

I am going to take some photos of live fences when I travel and post them on this topic from now on. Only the day before I saw some but didn’t think of capturing pics.
If anyone else can click some too, it would be nice.

Fencing the farm with plants
any one know what types of plants used for fencing farmland i saw in many places the plants are grown up upto 4 to 5 feet and nicely treemed like a compound wall if any one know whats the name of the plant

1 Like

We suggest the following system of live fencing. Which we recommended and many farmers are following. The purpose of live fencing is arresting the intruders both humans and animals into the farm by natural way.

*Plant Gachhakaya (Caesalpinia crista), Linn. The seeds of this plant is used as an vermifuge. This very thorny plant is good as a fencing where it will deter any intruder. Once entangled in the thorns one has no other choice but to back up. For every two feet put one plant. Pinch it at 2feet height, once it attains 3 ft growth. Then it spreads and flushes with good vegetation.
*Plant bamboo for every 10 feet and irrigate it regularly. You can find thorny bamboos for this purpose. Plant along with border/boundary of your farm land and irrigate it. Bamboo responds very well with irrigation[/ul]
Regards
Raghu Ram

2 Likes

Question, Raghuram…
Do gachakaya plants grow so close to prevent rodents, wild pigs etc. from crossing the fence?
Do you have pics of any fences by any chance?

Its a common practice in Mahaboob Nagar district to put Gachhakaya as fencing plant. Its a shrub and it restricts the entry of small ruminants, wild pigs etc. very effectively. But it takes two years to grow to such a thick thorny bush to arrest the intrusions into farm. Presently I dont have the snaps. But I can provide them. Most of the citrus orchards in Gadwal area are prodtected by Gachhakaya fence.

Regards
Raghu Ram

this is a good fence plant, nothing will enter the fence. i have got a good experience of the same.
i am interested in the seed of the same for planting along the fence.
please quote the price ex-hyderabad.
may be intrested in 5 to 10 kgs.
this is called as sagarguti in marathi.

check out this link, for fencing your farms :

farmnest.com/forum/new-trends-in … our-farms/

Keep Smiling … Hemant Agarwal

hi,

From the all the posts I have compiled a list of plants that can work
for natural fencing / Live fence.

*Sagargota or Sagarguti or GACHHAKAYA SEEDS.
Plant Gachhakaya (Caesalpinia crista), Linn. The seeds of this plant is used as an vermifuge. This very thorny plant is good as a fencing where it will deter any intruder. Once entangled in the thorns one has no other choice but to back up. For every two feet put one plant. Pinch it at 2feet height, once it attains 3 ft growth. Then it spreads and flushes with good vegetation.

*Henna

*Plant bamboo for every 10 feet and irrigate it regularly. You can find thorny bamboos for this purpose. Plant along with border/boundary of your farm land and irrigate it. Bamboo responds very well with irrigation

*Jatropha[/ul]

If I am missing something, then pls add to the list.

Also, can people please respond on who can supply the plants listed above. I am looking to buy
in and around Mumbai, any vendors or nurseries that can supply, please respond here. I need to
plant for about 3 acres.

Thx,
Deepak

1 Like

Namaskar,

I have seeds of Gachhakaya (Caesalpinia crista)…Iam willing to seed them as live fence…
these seeds are very hard,
can any body help me to know how can i treat them before planting?

Regards
Ashok.Pokhriyal@gmail.com

I have found by search that Gachakaya seeds do have dormancy, but did not find a prescribed method to break it. A number of general methods exist to break dormancy, you might have to experiment a bit to find the one that works on small samples, by trying the treatment and then testing the germination in a wet paper bag/sand etc. after a period of soaking. I am inclined to believe hot water soaking would work.

ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8704.html

May be members who handled this plant can throw some light? Since this is not a leguminous plant, I don’t think there is any Rhizobium treatment needed.

On another note, it would be nice if you could put in details of your experience step by step (and pics if possible) to benefit everyone. Thanks.

P.S.: Sampadafarms may be able to provide any info? : farmnest.com/forum/nursery-ornam … 96/#msg996

Use Henna as Bio-Fence and Henna leaves are most demanding herbal produce all time. So better you go for the Henna Fence. We can supply you the saplings with MOQ: 1Lakh Saplings. If interested, feel free to revert back. Thanking you.

Thanks, have sent you email for Henna sapling quotes for Mumbai delivery.

All, I am still looking for a contact in and around Panvel, Mumbai for Sagargota
seeds or saplings. Requesting for a response if you can suggest a source to
procure the seeds/saplings of Sagargota.

Hi,

Sagargota available at Ratanshi at byculla-bombay.Price is 120/- kg.Tel-23723296.
If you need help feel free to ctc me at-rajimpexx@rediffmail.com

Regards.
Rafiq Yusuf

Hi,
Does Sagarguti generate some income?what price are the seeds bought back?

Jatropha is also a good live fence,the leaves are not liked by cattle and other foraging animals,as it upsets their digestive tracts,sometimes leading to death.hence they stay away from it.Jatropha seeds produced by the plant are purchased by bio diesel companies at rs5/-kg.But sadly, there are no buyers in rajapur.

I also have a recurring cattle intrusion/trespassing problem on my farms inspite of a boundry wall,not able to decide what to use as a live fence.

Had finalised shikakai,as its seeds buyback is at rs25/-kg.But on making final enquiries,was told that the plant oozes sticky juice/enzyme which drips onto the ground, totally blackening and ruining the soil around and below the plant,rendering the area useless for future use.
Also the shikaki plant has a prolific growth and spreads very fast into a thick wild bush/shrub.

Now,thinking of planting Giripushpa(gliricidia sepium) stumps/seedsThis is a very good green manure and very efficient nitro fixer.Also generates good firewood.Can be chopped every year to a bare minimum.Leaves buried in soil for N fixing.Also serves as moderate wind breaker.
Should be planted 2ft apart.Seeds avlbl,stumps avlbl at rs3-4 for 2ft.

Ideally a live fence should generae atleast some money.
Teak combined with pepper vines beats all,in money making.But teak is an unsuitable companion crop for mango,it harms the mango plants beyond repair.The leaves ruin the soil,affecting the growth of the tree and also ruin the crop yeild

Do members have any other suggestions.

1 Like

Sagargoti seems like hard seeds.

Any tips on best method of planting Sagargoti ?

Does it need to be soaked or cut, etc ?

Is it better to grow in packets and then plant ?

Is it best to directly dig soil and place the hard seed ?

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Regarding Gachkaya, I soked seeds in hot water for half to 1 hour and then planted them and iam able to germinate them in my pot.,
I also repeated this in my feild and I’ll let you know about result.

Regards
Ashok Pokhriyal

Hello Friends,

My name is Raja and i am setting up a farm in my home town Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu.

I am also looking for setting up a live fence. Does any one know where in TN i can get seeds/saplings of the following in Tamil Nadu.

Gachakaya/Sagarguti/Sagagota
Pathimugam
Glyricidia sepium