Namma Farm - Quick Build Farm House

Dear Nature Lovers,
Recently I acquired a small piece of farm land in Tamil Nadu (Krishnagiri Dist). It is being developed by me as a Horticultural Garden. I thought of sharing my experiences with you. So here goes…

The Farm House
I reside almost 90 kms away from the land. Commuting up and down by bike (yes…I am a bike crazy farmer) in Bangalore traffic is a nightmare.
Therefore it was important to have a small farm house with a washroom, where I could rest and store a few things and maybe stay overnight if need be.
The dimensions decided was 12 ft width x 18 feet length, with a wall at 12 feet length to provide for a 6ft wide washroom in the rear.
After considering many options such as a conventional brick 'n mortar structure, log cabin, etc, I finally decided to build a room using prefab concrete slabs and pillars, and Coloured Metal Sheet roofing supported by metal trusses.
The prefab slabs and pillars are commonly used for making compound walls. I extended the idea to build a farm house.

The Walls: -
I ordered stronger concrete pillars with 12 mm iron rods instead of normal 8 mm rods. The pillars were a mix of 12 feet and 11 feet height, and placed in holes 3 feet deep, packed with concrete for support and stability.
The concrete slabs were 6 feet long and 1 feet wide with 5 mm metal reinforcement and brick-shaped design on one side. The slabs slide into slots in the pillars and are stacked one on top of the other, making the walls. Space has been left for doors.
The windows are concrete slabs with criss-cross pattern.
The entire structure i.e. walls without roof came up in just 5 days. 1 day for digging the holes to place the pillars, 2 days to erect the pillars and provideconcrete packing, and 2 days to fix thewalls.
The result matched my expectations.
The structure looks decent enough. Sadly I am unable to attach videos now due to some error. Will again try to…

Pros & Cons of pre-fab structure :

Pros: -

1. Quick execution of work
  2. Eye-catching structure
  3. Strong enough as a farm house (unless someone purposely tries to damage it using hammer).
  4. Reasonable costing.

Cons:-

1. Due to mis-communication, the rooms became smaller by about 1.5ft as the installer erected the pillars considering the measurements as external rather than internal.
  2. It was first time experience for the installer and towards the completion of work, he wanted more money than he initially agreed to charge citing cost over-runs.
  3. Flooring, doors was not included in scope of work, and they remain pending and need the services of other tradesmen, i.e. mason for PCC floor, plumber for washroom fittings, carpenter for door frames and doors.
  4. Installer did a shoddy job of internal finishing of walls and curing of concrete.

Roofing:
Initially I wanted to install Clay tiles (a.k.a. Mangalore tiles) on wooden reapers/trusses. Unfortunately, I could not find a roofer for the job. So I decided to use the services of a Welder to fix Metal coloured sheet roofing on Steel Truss.
To beat the heat, I added Gypsum Sheets as roof underlay.
The work was completed in about 8 working days instead of the planned 4 days . There were delays because the Welder had to hire 3 phase welding machine as our DG Set was shorting his Single Phase Machine (We don’t have Electric Connection. It’s been applied for, but is dragging on…)
While workmanship was of reasonable quality, the Welder, who offered to procure the material, overcharged me for the same by providing inflated bills for material. His scam was busted and he reluctantly agreed to a mark-down. All the same, I ended up paying him about 20% more than what we agreed initially.
All in all, a bitter-sweet learning experience for me.

Next Steps :-

The House :
Water tank mounted on RCC Pillars - In progress
Flooring of house - In progress
Waste water line - In place
WC, Bath, Wash Basin- After flooring
Septic Tank - Yet to commence
Doors and Frames - Yet to commence
Electricity - Applied for

Phase 2 - Additional rooms for family. It may commence after a couple of months.

The Farm:
Planned to have High Density Taiwan Guava plantation, along with some Lemon, Pomegranate, Sapota.
Lots of flower plants and trees planned around the house.

1. JCB hired for 4 days to dig pits. Work is almost complete.
  2. Taiwan Guava supplier identified but awaiting verifiable references
  3. Solar Pumping Solution - Reaching out to potential suppliers. Awaiting quotes.
  4. Drip Irrigation main lines in place. Needs to Be extended. Gate valves, sub-mains and laterals to be procured. Water Pond or Overhead Tank to be constructed…Evaluation of options is in progress
  5. Looking for Farm Yard Manure.
  6. Lastly, planning for a Dense Miyawaki Fruit Garden. Will take it up after other planation work is complete.

So thats all for now.

Hope you found this Post useful.

Cheers, Happy Farming and God Bless

6 Likes

Nice design… Good initiative…thanks for sharing

Thank you Sir
Appreciate your response…

Awesome for a first time experience… Kudos :slight_smile:

U gotta try check on ZBNF farming… Give a shot knowing it …

Thanks for your appreciation.
Sure will be going Organic.
Cheers 'n Bless you…

ZBNF n organic are very different in process n ideology too …

:slight_smile:

Look forward to seeing your awesome progress soon.

Thank you

:blush: Yeah, will catch up with ZNBF in due course of time.
Hope I achieve a fraction of what I set out for. I am a solo worker, and am facing hurdles at every step… Bureaucracy looking for bribes, officials dragging their feet, tradesmen wanting to fleece, supports who want more then their fair share of margin, family who wonder why you need to do all this, ageing parent who need constant attention…too much to handle. I am just hoping that the tough times will pass and good times will come soon. :pray::maple_leaf:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Awesome

For a marathon, athlete gotta slog every moment… For farmers n visionaries… it’s a every day marathon.

Pressure n pain makes some toughen up as diamond n some crumble as coal dust…

Guys like u relish the crystallizing process… Enjoy.

Am confident you will do jus awesome way u envision. Jus spend more time with Nature n ur core nature. Things will tide out

:pray::grinning: Thanks a ton. Faith, hope and prayers and some good luck will see me through :pray:

1 Like

@Shankar61
Nice one. How much did it cost overall?

Hi Chandra,
Good to touch base with you.
Due to my inexperience and due to the fact that the farm is situated away from civilization, all the tradersmen and suppliers changed a lot extra for their supplies and services.
With that in mind, the cost worked out as follows:
Pillars and Walls - ₹ 85k
Roofing - ₹ 115k (with at least 30% over invoicing)
Flooring, Sanitary - Expecting about ₹35k (Work in progress)
Doors - Expecting around ₹ 10k (Work not yet commenced)
So overall expectation would be around ₹ 250k (approx ₹1200/sqft).
If I had been a bit more street smart and proactive, I could have saved another ₹ 25k.
My take is that one can go for this if speed of construction is critical. If one can afford to wait for 2-3 months, normal Brick and Mortar may be considered.
Do let me have your thoughts.:pray:

3 Likes

Thanks.
I evaluated prefabs for my own farm houses and ended up with brick and mortar each time.

1 Like

Hi, This really is awesome! I was planning to build farm house in my farmland in Mysore. I was in dilemma since then. There you go,I liked your farmhouse. You posted your farmhouse exactly when I wanted🙏🏻. With the cost breakup your information is very helpful for me to go with the same. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Hi There! Thanks for your words of appreciation. The purpose of my post was to inform Forum Members that such a solution exits. So now you can compare alternative solutions and decide best way forward.
If you like this Quick Build System, I suggest you plan every detail meticulously so that you get what you are looking for. Contact me if you need some help.
Cheers, Shiv

1 Like

Video_20180918143044150_by_videoshow Video_20180918143226594_by_videoshow

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I’m also thinking about building a small farm house. I was only considering a standard brick & mortar structure, but now I think I should seriously evaluate prefab too.

Thanks Terran! Why not?
Like I said earlier, its really quick to build.
The superstructure of single room+washroom (~200 sq ft) comes up in just 3 days. Roofwork should take another 3-4 days, and flooring/sanitary/ woodwork another 3-4 days. So in less than 15 days, you can have a place to work from and rest in the farm.
That’s theory…
In reality, workers will not turn up without prior warning, materials cannot be arranged on time, it will rain, festival holidays will keep coming, electricity will disappear (I have no electric connection yet), transporters will delay. But I guess this is surely a viable alternative if planning is good and everyone involved pitches in.
I am planning an even wackier farm house next, for family to stay. It is wild imagination running free…
A house to be built with Steel Mesh only supported by GI Pipe/Angle frame and Metal Sheet roof. Only private areas will have Cement Fibre Board walls up to a certain height.
Let’s see if my dream comes true.
The inspiration is from a lovely project in Ahmadabad called the Net House (All credit to Matharoo Associates, Architects). Hats off to them for their visionary thinking.
http://www.howarchitectworks.com/net-house-ahmedabad/
Picture below :point_down:

98_nethouse_jp270411_

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I would contact you when I am in need

Ok Dokie :+1:, Gud luck…

Great job. The place looks good. I too am planning a low cost house amidst farming. What was the rough cost you incurred.