Integrated Dairy Farm - experiences

thank you Mr Kasturiraju
let me share my experience
i had visited few farms in and around chickballapur
very recently(2 weeks back) i found price range as follows
for a cow claimed to yield 20-24 ltrs 2nd lactation age around 4-5 years : they asked 80k finally sold to 63k(one of my friend purchased it)
pregnant cow age around 3 yrs asking rate was whopping 85000 they claimed its mother used to give 30lts/day
that was not worth it
3rd lactation claimed 24lts/day asking rate was again 80k on insisting when milked it gave about 8 ltrs milk morning and 7 ltrs in evening a difference of 9 lts from what they claimed, we offered 50k they rejected outright

i also found out the ways they try to cheat
1---->lying about age --they always claim cow to young virgin!!! :))
2---->lying about milk yield(universal minimal 8ltrs/day)claim=20lts actual will be 10-12
3---->lying about pregnant state --confirm pregnancy in early lactation(2-3 months after calving)
4---->lactation duration , they always claim very freshly calved like just 10 days- 15 days (only 2 ppl out of some 20 said nearly a month)
when you enquire about calf they say they sold it :smiley:
5---->feeding habits ----whatever may be the yield they say they are giving 4-5kgs of concentrate/day and 500gms of GNC so you start
calculating huge profits. when the cow comes to ur home it will ask for lot of concentrates
6---->few genius farmers even had records ( one self proclaimed very smart farmer showed a “record” which was written in one sitting
with one pen and very tidy book)
7---->They say “WE GIVE GUARANTY FOR MILK YIELD AND IF LESS YOU CAN RETURN” of course you can always return your cow
to seller farmer he will be glad to accept also, only catch is they wont return money:D(happened to one of my friend- white collar
techie they paid only half that too after several attempts)

BEWARE of this pseudo ignorant uneducated farmers

1 Like

Nice work. :slight_smile:

Friends,
one of the challenge i face in my farm is milking timing. Milk has to be dropped at the dairy society by 3:30pm. To achieve this, we start milking at 2:00pm in the afternoon. even though morning milk can be dropped at the dairy society at 8:00am, we start milking at 5:00am to give good amount of gap between morning and afternoon milking. This has created labor related issues !.

I would like to push the morning milking to 6:30am, similarly change the afternoon milking time to 5:00pm. If we do this, since afternoon milk can not dropped at the society, Can i plan to cool the milk in a milk cooler and deliver it to the society in the morning ? Is this possible?

Are small size coolers available ? like 200 litre capacity ? please suggest the manufacturers.
What is the approx Price ?
How do i manage power cuts ?

please advice.

thanks,
-Ganapathi Bhat

In our area, they refuse to take milk which is cooled at farm. You should check with your dairy if they are fine with you doing it.

Nikhil

Hi Bhattji,

This is how we have to adjust to each and every one in this dairy farming…from labourer to suppliers, buyers, bankers at last environment and nature too. Nothing we can say our convenient nor concerns.

Any way, as Narayan said some of milk procurers don’t procure chilled milk. you have to check with them first. If that is ok… than you can go ahead for a instant milk chiller with ( power back up working) it’s not a problem for your quantity. That setting up may cost you around 7 lakhs i.e. instant chiller of 300 ltrs per hour capacity with power back up and 500 ltr storing flask tank… excluding any power and civil expenditures.(i.e. civil room and power points).

Or else you have to check any private dairy people are available to purchase your milk instead of KMF, they will little understandable as well as adjustable people for milk timings and place their collection vans to your door steps. Even they pay your payment promptly on fixed days, directly to your account along with supporting price on your milk and based on quality parameters.

please feel free to communicate…all the best.

thanks and regards,

kasturiraju.

Hi Kasturiraju ji,
I am in process of opening a dairy farm in Gorakhpur region of eastern U.P. I have already started with 2 sahiwal cows from last 2 months. I am going to buy HF cows from Punjab since good yielding cows are not available in my area.
My only problem is getting CO4 grass seedlings.
Can you tell me from where can I get this grass in U.P??
Your early reply will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Sagar D.

Hi sagar,

visit any nearby krishi vignan Kendra , collect the sapplings of co2 and you can grow on your own , if you have your own land. Otherwise, you can buy maize fodder from neighbouring farmers along with cob after 65 days and within 75th day depends upon the state of cob , make it silage and use it.

all the best, thanks and regards,

kasturirjau.

Hi friends,

Since last 3 years, from the day I come to know about Punjab dairy farmers association, I was planning to visit it’s exhibition to participate and experience. Even though I have visited most of the dairy farms in Punjab of various sizes the visit to PDFA exhibition is really given a new sort of experience and confidence in Dairy farming.

So, I would like to share my observations which I experienced in this event:

1. Punjab peoples interest and heartly involvement with respect in farming.

2. Family persons involvement (of course I heard few of them too are affecting from the childrens diversified interests and attractions of other fields)

3. Farmers organised unity and involvement in participation as responsibility. Rather than claiming for positions, power and greedy in getting favours by acquiring positions of the association.

4. strict observation/vigilance and control on fraud companies in all aspects.

5. Demanding and success in causing various schemes & direct supports in implementation by government.

6. knowledge and technical transfer percolated to the level of even small farmer like two cow/buffalo farmer.

Like this I can list out further more…first one is…

One thing was very much surprised and satisfied me…to see regularly high yielding milk animals without any gimmicks or short time achievement as it happens in our state. They have developed much more superior genetics based animals produced in their last 10 years efforts and that genetics is minimum 10 years ahead compare to any of our south India states. very painful matter is all these breed/genetic cows developed from the cows which are transferred from our state i.e. kolar and doddaballapur area.

Before going to Punjab, I was travelled across the Kolar ,chintamani,doddaballapur and chickaballapura area. I was present to the scenario of our so called farmers are misused the Intention of supports provided them to create good genetic cross breed cows schemes, in these areas by converting to greedy cow brokerage people rather than making it remarkable place for the Milk production as well as High yielding genetics animals producing place.

To-day, we can see in all these our places more than 50 cow brokers in a village, changing 3-4 hands,when the cows become 5-6 months pregnant. Even a boy who worked with a any broker for 2-3 years is a good/reputed cows supplier!!!. To-day, it has acquired a very infamous name in cheating the cows transactions. Of course, invariably in very short time if the people of this area are not wakening up are getting into awareness, we will be losing shortly the few left out animals and even if we mind to develop any initial level of breeding…then we has to look for the other states.

Surely,already we are 10-15 years behind in quality of animals which we have seen in Punjab and we will be slipping into further down with this attitude.

will be writing further experiences in stages…

kasturiraju.

1 Like

I echo the sentiments of Mr. Raju - Punjab Dairy Farming has gone into a different orbit.

Just completed 14 months of dairy farming operation and what an experience it has been (I am grateful to folks in the forum for sharing their experiences)

I have little over 100 Cows and 60 calves in the farm and presently I am growing 500KG of green maize through hydroponic everyday. Ofcourse I need to get more greens from outside so may be I will be increasing the capacity of the fodder machine and eventually will only have greens from the farm.

I have also tried getting the silage from Hyderabad and the results have been quite disappointing so strongly suggest to avoid (The moisture content was very high and there were worms in the silage)

One thing for sure - Feed change is a disaster and it should be minimalistic and to be done gradually.

I am using TMR and it has giving positive results in the last couple of months. Medicine cost is huge particularly for HF; in Maharashtra Jersey cows are superb better heat resistance easy conception and rough and tough.

I am presently using ABS semen (Pioneer etc.) and hoping for a better breed in future and self reliant ( Timely conception is a must for a successful dairy farming and a lot lot lot of emphasis needs to be given to this, I am struggling to get this right - havn’t used the hormones so far and appropriate post partum care is essential)

Delalval milking parlor is doing just fine no issues so far their service is great and the software is magical it gives lots of insights (Delaval is of course expensive I will be keen to know from others experience about the milking machine and parlor)

I am looking for some guidance on vermi composting/composting and where to sell the compost at reasonable prices.

keep sharing.

1 Like

Hi…good to see your sharing,

Can u explain further more on following few points, please:

1. which hydroponic system you are using? what are the experiences on the same.? which seeds you are using.? what is the cost of seed and who is supplying the same.? finally, what is the cost of hydroponic fodder per kg?

2. As we all aware feeding to cow is based on mainly Dry matter, proteins, nutrients. ok…to maintain it what is the combination feeding you are using while feeding hydroponics and TMR seperately. your in-detail mentioning will really support us, in this matter.

3. you said , using TMR in your farm. From where you are purchasing the same.? cost per ton.? are you know content report of the same and feeding structure to the animals? combination of what all you feeding to animal?

4)Yes. you said right. May be slightly expensive but any day… Delaval are supportive, down to earth, spreaded out in market, farmers friendly without any major up and downs… compared to other MNC company.Iin our experiences some of other companies in market will shave without blades by teaming up by their agents, distributors with very sweet talks and free advises , some companies are struggling to be present in market, some other companies are just like that, not interested in doing business. However, which type of parlour you are having , what was the complete cost? what is your experience… advise on the same?

1. yeah…similarly one more very important aspect in dairy farming is Breeding. As I said earlier,compared to any, in semen as per our experiences again ABS is the one reliable, down to earth, co-operative ,informative, ethical people in business and services, in indian market…till date. Have you got any calves out of it? to what pedigree animal you are given Poineer semen? How is the female born ratio on the same.

2. Vermicomposting , very easy. construct Four side walls of Kadapa slabs (black slabs) from ground 3’ height, without any flooring of general size of 10’ x 3’ according to your conveniences, load the digested compost and leave the worms. after eating it separate the worms as and when required. For detailing you can approach any surrounding KVK ( krishi vignan Kendra) to get a demonstration as well as minimum guidences. spread out the message to local surrounded farmers/agriculturists about the availabilities and slowly they come into contacts of you. Mouth to mouth you have to build a relationship with local agricultural departments and agricultural communities to market the same. maintain the requisite quality aspects. it clicks.

will be waiting for your details and sharing.

all the best , happy dairying.

kasturiraju.

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am planning to start a dairy farm soon.

like to visit few farms also. even though I learned my animal husbandry course during my BSc Agri, I forgot more technical stuff. when I was searching the internet I found this great Forum.
Members are sharing their knowledge and experience here. I happy that I found this forum. Thanks to all the members for your contribution.

I like to give some suggestion regarding hydroponics. I like to make an experiment once i start a farm.
if anyone like to make an experiment then instead of buying from hydrophonic companies you can make your own hydrophonic house using shadenet/polyhouse and locally available trays and sprinkler system. it will decrease the cost of shed. I dont think we need a aircooler to maintain the temperature @21. because if you grow rice and maize, it will be a tropical crops. so it will definitely not damaged by temperature fluctuation.(I used temperature, light , relative humidity controlled champers for my research, I usually grow , callus ,tissue cultured plants and transgenic crops. because these crops are more susceptible for temperature fluctuations and also losing a single plants will damage the experiments.) not sure about barley but we can try in shadenet. just check in youtube and you will get more idea about low cost shadenet house designs for hydrophonics.

above suggestion is my hypothesis, If i am wrong please correct me.

Regards,
Kanna.

Hi all,

I like to visit dairy farms, anyone please help me in this regard. I am from Tenkasi, Tirunelveli District, TamilNadu, it would be great if any dairyfarm near to trivandrum, southern part of kerala or TamilNadu. if the farm is not near I am willing to travel to Distance places also.

like to share the youtube video ,Which i saw yesterday. good luck to all.
youtube.com/watch?v=CWDYvdx … r_embedded

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Kanna.

Dear all,

This summer was started with too hot…temperature was crossed even 37 degrees even in almost all areas of karnataka…it was a tough time to face this heat by CB cows…especially HF Breed.

We are taken certain precautions to reduce the heat stress on animals…like avoiding direct sun with shade nets and finally switching on fogging system for every once in a hour from 12 noon to 3 o clock.

It’s really reduced the no. of sickness animals due to heat stroke to very minimum.

happy to share few of photos.

thanks.

kasturiraju.

Hello,
How much investment need to install the fogging system ?
How much electricity its consume?

[quote=blissfarmer]
I echo the sentiments of Mr. Raju - Punjab Dairy Farming has gone into a different orbit.

Just completed 14 months of dairy farming operation and what an experience it has been (I am grateful to folks in the forum for sharing their experiences)

I have little over 100 Cows and 60 calves in the farm and presently I am growing 500KG of green maize through hydroponic everyday. Ofcourse I need to get more greens from outside so may be I will be increasing the capacity of the fodder machine and eventually will only have greens from the farm.I dont have enough land for cultivation purpose, Is hydroponic fodder is viable option?

I have also tried getting the silage from Hyderabad and the results have been quite disappointing so strongly suggest to avoid (The moisture content was very high and there were worms in the silage)

I am using TMR and it has giving positive results in the last couple of months. Medicine cost is huge particularly for HF;What is medicine cost per HF cow per year?

in Maharashtra Jersey cows are superb better heat resistance easy conception and rough and tough. Is Jersey cow better compare to HF cow?

I am presently using ABS semen (Pioneer etc.) and hoping for a better breed in future and self reliant ( Timely conception is a must for a successful dairy farming and a lot lot lot of emphasis needs to be given to this, I am struggling to get this right - havn’t used the hormones so far and appropriate post partum care is essential)What is price of semen? Which breed of cow do you have?

Delalval milking parlor is doing just fine no issues so far their service is great and the software is magical it gives lots of insights (Delaval is of course expensive I will be keen to know from others experience about the milking machine and parlor) KIndly share picture of your milking parlor, What is the cost of machine? Also provide details of regular expenses like electricity, maintenance expenses, etc.

Kindly share above information, this is very useful & important for me. I am also planning to start a dairy farm with 50 HF cow in Odisha .
Thanks

Hi
could you please send me the details of the Hydroponic Fodder Production system you use. My email id is manavendrajayapal@yahoo.com.

Regards
Manavendra Jayapal

Hi…friends,

After 5 years long efforts to deal all challenges of dairy farm, Government and other private firms reduced successively Rs. 9.50 per litre on procurement rate of milk from producers and increased rs.1 per litre on their packaged selling price, in last 70 days.

You know my farm directly hit by rs. 9,000-00 per day direct loss because of this. One of a sudden do not know how to manage or deal this not expected hit on our bums.

Really its crazy…pains at wrong places…dears…

First time blinking…

kasturiraju.

Milk Procurement in HASSAN karnataka
i think arsikere(mr kasturiraju’s dairy) also comes under hassan dairy
we were getting 24+4 in october last year
now we are getting 19+4(rs 4 is eyewasher never got in time/completely)
rumours are procurement price may further fal to 17rs/even15rs)
so it is better to sell water(rs20/ltr)than milk
and also we have to cope with regular cheating whhich we cant do anything

and now govt has introduced PASHUBHAGYA

god save farmers and general public

Dear Kasturiraju,

Very sorry to hear about the unexpected turn of events. Would any of these options work

1. Direct supply to consumer
  2. Prepare and sell value added products instead of milk directly (curd, butter milk, ghee etc)
  3. Vermi compost

Please excuse if these are naive suggestions, just trying to think of ideas that would help you tide over these events.
Please try not to lose courage.

Best Regards,
Raj

Hi…prakruthi,

Thank you very much for your immediate concern for telling few words and supporting by providing some suggestions to us. we are really exploring the better alternatives for the same. Pathway is not easy…difficulties in your suggestions mentioned in red color. let you know the moment we found solution for the same. Till that time be with us and keep supporting by providing best suggestions to your knowledge.

thanks and regards,

kasturiraju.

Dear Kasturiraju,

Very sorry to hear about the unexpected turn of events. Would any of these options work

1. Direct supply to consumer - It’s very difficult to sell thousand litres without pasteurizing,homogenizing and it draws again infrastructure expenditure…to small quantity to be in market, logistics as well as payment collection is big task.
  2. Prepare and sell value added products instead of milk directly (curd, butter milk, ghee etc) - as mentioned for sl. no. 1
  3. Vermi compost - its going on but that doesn’t alter the losses incurring in milk due to milk prices…

Please excuse if these are cnaive suggestions, just trying to think of ideas that would help you tide over these events.
Please try not to lose courage.

Best Regards,
Raj
[/quote]