Installation of Drip irrigation

Dear community
Recently I bought a 4.5 acre mango farm at Aragonda, Chittoor. The maintenance of the farm is okish. Nothing great. The drip system exists but is damaged beyond repair.
I want to reinstall the complete drip irrigation in my farm. I would like to know if there is anyone who will be doing this work in surrounding areas like Aragonda, palamaneru, chittoor.
Thank you

have you considered a proper 1 inch PVC pipeline? i have seen it in a few orchards and while it is a bit on the higher side in terms of initial investment but it fits the bill for longer term and the speed with which watering is completed.most importantly it allows for the Go Mutra based plant regenerators to directly get the solution without clogging up the delivery pipelines

1 Like

The most common way is to contact a drip company who can provide the design, materials and installer contacts.

Jain worked fine for me and they should have a support number on their website.

1 Like

Thank you for the useful information

Is the mango farm in the saplings stage or beyond that? If the growth of the mango tree is in the range of 4-5 years and beyond, i can suggest alternatives.

Sir. All the mango trees are above 10 years old and are in yielding stage

I assume you have only Mango trees at your farm and there is no other trees or crop apart from this.

Based on the assumption, I suggest the following:-

1. Dig trenches of about 2-2.5 ft in between the rows of the mango trees. The trenches will accumulate the rainwater and this should be enough for your mango trees.
    If your farm has a slope, dig the trenches against the slope. If not, you can use any direction.
  2. Whatever mulch is available in the farm need to be placed in the trenches like leaves falling from the mango trees, any weeds that you pluck can be placed in the trenches including the branches of the pruned mango trees etc.
  3. If you want to improve your economics of the farm, you can grow other trees as well wherever there is sunlight falling on the ground.
  4. You should definitely grow Moringa, Agathi trees which are nitrogen-fixing and this will improve the yield as well as the quality of the yield. These trees can be placed next to the trench and you can prune these trees often and place the mulch in the trenches.
    Also, you should keep the ground covered with mulch or grass or leguminous crops like horse gram etc so that the sunlight should not touch the ground and the micro organisms will thrive once this happens and they will feed the nutrients to the trees.
  5. You can fertilize your crops with jeevamrutham etc once in 15 days.
    If you do the points 1, 2 & 4 before the monsoon, you will see the difference in the next couple of years itself.
  6. If you have well or unused borewell, you should connect all the trenches together including the border trenches and finally take the extra rainwater to the well or unused borewell or pond etc. This will in the long run improve your water availability to the trees as the water will rise in your farm.

Based on more understanding of the farm like trees, distance etc, I will suggest other things later.

1 Like

Sir thanks so much for taking time in writing this answer.
Your guess is correct. Currently only mango trees. I am planning to pant sapota, berries, guava trees as there is enough space between the trees.
Regarding trenches, I panned to do a couple of them
The area is a dry area with less rainfall. Not sure how much water can be collected in these trenches. So I will try to dig few trenches and check as this is rainy season. This year there is almost 0 rainfall in this area

The trenches are not like ponds or well. They are mainly there to soak water into the land and also for creating microorganisms through mulch.

If you want to check the effectiveness of trenches and water harvesting methods, do the following:-

1. Check the water level in your borewell on a particular day every month, if possible.
  2. Create the trenches and water harvesting methods before the monsoon.
  3. Repeat the Point 1 after the rainfall. You will be amazed to see the difference.
1 Like

There are number of drip irrigation Kits available in India. Which includes installation information as well. You can check here drip irrigation kits for 1 acre to 1000 acres here: Best Drip Irrigation Kits in India.