Insect eating/(scars) the Banana leaves (image attached)

HI,
I found insects that are substantially damaging the leaves of the banana plants. Pics attached (insect and damaged leaves).

Has anyone else faced same problem? any permanent solution?

Regards
Samarth

Hi Samarth,

These are caterpillars.

Some recommend CHLORPYRIFOS. They say it is more effective.

Pls check with experts regarding dosage and any side effects.

Regards,
Manjunatha

Will the ““Quinalphos”” be useful for this?

Regards

Hi Experts,

Even I noticed a similar scar and worm on my banana plot. I am planning organic way of controlling. Can you suggest some organic methods to address this issue. Appreciate an early reply so that I can eradicate this at the earliest.

Regards,
agri_lover

Hi,
are the scars same as seen in the pics i uploaded? can you attach images?

thanks

Hi Samarth,

The scars and the worm are same as in your image. I dont have the snaps handy.

Regards,
Mohan

Quinalphos or Chlorpyrifos should work if you are fine with chemical control and if you have damage large enough to warrant chemical control. Insecticidal dusts and synthetic pyrethroids are also normally recommended alternatives.

On the organic side, Bacillus thurungiensis kurstaki is a biocontrol agent you may try and report results. Theoretically, biocontrol agents take longer to act but are a safer alternative. I have a thread on on the forum detailing my ongoing experiment with biopesticides.

Hi,
I used Neem Oil spray with cow urine, low concentration but heavy spraying twice (day one and second spray after 4 days), and all the problems were gone. (But i noticed heavy yellowing of the leaves that were affected from scars, but there were no damage to the healthy leaves)

PS: you should control this soon, because it had spread in my farm in very less time.

That is good news. Nothing can be better than being able to manage the pest with organic solutions. :sunglasses:

Hi Samarth,

Good to hear you have found a solution to the problem. can you please give details on how much neem oil v/s cow urine v/s water you used.

@Chandra: I will try bio control method based on my outcome of samarth’s method.

Regards,
agri_lover

[quote=agri_lover]
Hi Samarth,

Good to hear you have found a solution to the problem. can you please give details on how much neem oil v/s cow urine v/s water you used.

@Chandra: I will try bio control method based on my outcome of samarth’s method.

Regards,
agri_lover[/quote]

HI

I used 6ml of neem oil.extract with 250ml of cow urine in 15 liters of water.

do remember to even spray on the stem and back side of leave should be properly sprayed

Thanks for the reply Samarth, I will try this tommorrow itself.

Regards,
agri_lover

Hi Samarth,

Prepared a solution of 100ml neem oil in 30 liters of water and 2.5 lit cow urine. but Rain god showed up… so had to keep the mixture aside… I will be getting it sprayed first thing tommorrow morning. hope this storing of the prepared solution doenst cause any issues?

regards,
Mohan

I am sure it wont be affected. I have used solution even after 3-4 days. DO stir the solution well before use…

Hi Samarth,

I did a first round of spray of cow urine & neem oil around 4 days ago. I am keeping an eye to see the effectiveness. willl keep you posted.

As you said the leaves with the scar are turning White (not yellow) for me. is this normal? or any deficiency?

Regards,
agri_lover

can you upload the pics? its hard to comment without seeing the symptoms

Thanks

Hi Samarth,

As I said, I am finding a few yellow and white spots on the banana leaves. is this some type of deficiency? Attaching a snapshot for your view.

Regards,
agri_lover

Hi,
I have few questions

1. was there heavy rainfall in last 10-15 days? (it can be due to rain/hails, as i can see the perfect patten)

2. do you notice them on the new emerging leaves too? (sometime when insecticide used has overdose effect, this tends to make the leaves transportation system damaged at the affected areas. so if you are not noticing then on new leaves,(or unaffected leaves from he insects ) then it can be due to efficiency, else its just effect of the spray)

Regards

Hi Samarth,

Answering your questions.

1. There is a cyclonic effect its been raining sparsely last 4-5 days onwards.

2. I notice them on the new leaves also. As far as insecticide is concerned. I never used any chemicals. I used your recommendation of cow urine and neem oil. spray 2 times till now.

Regards,

Hi Samarth,

Offlate, I found a lot of worms. almost one worm per plant. I was almost about to give up and go for chemical spray… but something held me back… I instead purchased a forceps and manually picked up these worms one by one and put it into a container of water and drowned them. Now visually the worms are sort of under control till the eggs of the previous batch hatches. I am planning a neem+cow urine spray in another 3-4 days.

HAPPY DIWALI to you and entire forum.

Regards,
agri_lover