Thanks a lot Chandra and Gunda for your replies.
Here are different dimensions to the problem.
- Main Crop - Drumstick and Mango
- Irrigation - Drip Lines and network of Main Lines and Sub Lines
- Land Type - It also have quite a good quantity of rocks… Cant call is rocky but alrest 30% of big rocks.
- Resources, Know How and other limitations - I am a newbie. People in the village just do Lady Finger after monsoons while they have some water in stream nearby. All borewells and streams go dry by Jan, except ours. People just do selective crops. In last one year of my venture I have tried Cucumber (Failed due to NilGais which further also exploited my drumstick plantations), Watermelon (Failed- I was in States and the careteaker harvested them early)… But in both cases the weeds gave major trouble in addition to NilGai’s…
There are no small size tractors. Even if electricity goes, I have to drive there and arrange for electrician etc etc to get things started.
Labor charges are too steep. Basically even normal resources aren’t easily available
Options and Response that may not work.
- Cannot use tractor… Tried it in one lane and failed. It broke one subline plus pulled out more rocks to the surface which would make use of brushcutter further difficult.
- Cows/Bullocks/Buffaloes no more used in the village … There are a few cows and buffalos in village but I havent seen anyone using a bullock in last one-two year.
- Usage of power tiller or weeder many damage it due to presence of rocks in the said area.
My next steps (that i could make out… Please help by adding or correcting me)
- Use brushcutter wherever possible and employ labor to do the entire area cleanup.
- Add mulch to existing plantations (Thinking of dried leaves and foilage, cardboards and newspaper shreds. Would the same grass which would be cut, work as mulch?)
- Employ people and remove all visible rocks on the surface so that Brushcutter can be used more confidently next time.
- Plan for cover crop.
1. Ploughing etc is not possible… Is this the right way of making seedballs? facebook.com/media/set/?set … 222&type=3
While planning for cover crops I would want to plan for crop which can be harvested by a brushcutter. Want to reduce labor dependency and cost. - Is this even realistic? what would be those crops be?
I was thinking of plastic mulch for the existing plantations during monsoon… How to I do a plastic sheet mulching for existing plantations? Wouldn’t I have to cut it from one side to center and then cover it with stones? Is it advisable to use plastic?
Sorry for a lengthy post… I just have too many questions, being a newbie.
Thanks a ton