Help with Tree selection along the border

Dear fellow-farmnesters, this query is with regards to growing trees in my farm.

I intend to plant 2 rows of trees on my farm’s road facing border (120 feet);
And on my farm’s another border (360 feet) adjoining my neighbour’s farm, I am planning to plant a single line of trees.

Basically I am a non-violent person. I don’t believe in cutting down trees for selfish needs. I want the bees and the birds to come to my farm. I will be grateful for their services. What I hope to see happen is the natural improvement in the soil quality, water holding capacity and soil structure. Keeping these kinds of goals in mind, can you please suggest the best suitable species? And if you know a reliable nursery in Bengaluru, that will be an added benefit. My farm is located in Arkalgud Taluk, Hassan district (Southern transitional zone). Watering is not a problem, as we have reliable water source. Inside the farm our main produce is arecanut and banana.

Regards,
Soma Sundaresh

see attachment a list of trees which you can plant on boundary.
trees.xls (38.5 KB)

Hi Soma,
As your intention Is not to cut the trees you can plan Colourful flowering trees like gulmohar red, yellow, purpul along with some ashoka, neem and coconut tree it will make ur field a heaven during the flowering season plus u will have fresh air and coconuts

Regards,

Hi Soma Sundaresh,

I suggest you to identify the reason/need for planting the trees on the border. Based on that, you may decide on the trees.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

Dear Shri.Padmanabhan, the major benefits from trees for the farm are the following: Better water holding capacity of the soil, improved microbial activity, nitrogen fixing, leaf litter to enable better compost/soil quality, host to variety of birds, animals and insects, wind break, prevention of soil erosion, flowers, fruits, medicinal value, food value (tree vegetables), aesthetics. Considering these factors, can you suggest ideal tree options?

regards
Soma Sundaresh

See these link for more details.
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot … fence.html
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot … -soil.html
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot … -soil.html
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot … ixers.html

The above are in addition to what other members have provided.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

Does anyone know which type of plant/shrub/tree will grow the fastest to be effective as a fence?
What would be the approximate cost to plant about 800 feet of fence?

You could try planting Glyricidia trees on the border along with Bougainvillea in between. If you plant it in the beginning of the rains, it will grow very fast. Glyricidia tends to shed its leaves around December to March and may look barren; B’villea being a semi-creeper it will take support of Glyricidia and bougainvillea with its different coloured flowers and slightly thorny nature acts as a decent barrier to animals.

Instead of Glyricidia which is useful for Biomass to the earth there is no other use. Instead of that we ware suggesting you to go far Melia Dubai Plantation which is considered as FASTEST GROWING TREE IN THE WORLD, while it gives abundant Biomass to the Farm and also it Protects the Farm from Pests because it is NEEM BASED. Further useful wood can be gained after TWO Years while it gives GOOD Quality Timber after 9 years.On e can get a GOOD income on logs.Pl. Find the IMAGES of Growth Performance after ONE YEAR /ONE AND HALF YEARS YEAR / THREE AND HALF YEARS.
MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com

Interesting.
Does it serve as a fence? What about cost? Does it need plenty of water?

Thank you Sir,

It will not serve as Fencing .It will serve as Wind Breaker.For Fencing you can use Mehandi (Henna) or Adavi Tuti, Bamboo etc. Glyricidia also will not cover as Fencing. Among all the Fencings Mehandi is Best. While covering as Fence it will fetch Income through Leaves. It will not eat Cattle etc and survive even in Drought conditions also.
MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com [nofollow]

Thanks for the suggestion.
Do you have detailed analysis of using Mehndi for fence and how
does it compare to traditional fencing like chain link fencing?
Please include initial cost, maintenance cost, water requirements etc

Kindly Mail full details of the Extent of your Land Location,Village Mandal etc to enable us to provide the Estimations. We can provide either the seed or Saplings of Mehandi.
MANNE SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
newbielink:mailto:vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com [nonactive] [nofollow]

Dear Friends,

I am also looking for some border/fencing plants for our mango garden to control the winds. So anyone can help to clarify below pls…

1. Is Melia Dubai good choice for that? and can it grow depending only on rain water (and hardly once in a month in non-rain season)
  2. How much time will it take to come to a position to stop the winds.
  3. What is the best way of plantation? seed or plant (if plant, what ages are available and which one is good for planting)
  4. For 10 acres how many plants would require and what would be the cost?
  5. Can we get the plants/seeds anywhere near Hyderabad? If yes, Please help to pass some contacts…

I am planning to plant them during this rainy season… kindly pass the details if time permits. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
VJ

Thank you Bhayya ,
We are providing the details in seriatum as follows:

1. Is Melia Dubai good choice for that? and can it grow depending only on rain water (and hardly once in a month in non-rain season)

Ans: Yes Sir in my field results it was proved that Melia Dubia can be Grown on Rain-fed also. But the Growth will be little Bit less. Pl. find the Images of the 2 Years Plants on Rain-fed.
2. How much time will it take to come to a position to stop the winds.
Ans: After 7-8 Months it will Grow to make wind Breaking position.
3. What is the best way of plantation? seed or plant (if plant, what ages are available and which one is good for planting)
Ans: Germination of the Seed of melia Dubia is very tough. Maximum Germination % (Percentage) is 20%. Even that also not uniform it will take 3 Months to ONE Year. It is better to go for Saplings. We are having 99 Months plants in our Farm at a Height of 2 Feet. It will not Grow Much in the Packets. After Planting in the Earth it will Grow rapidly.Aged plants are better.
4. For 10 acres how many plants would require and what would be the cost?

On Border 6 Feet Distance is Ideal .Then you require 450 Saplings are required for Planting around 10 Acres. If planted whole Land 700 Saplings are required at a Distance of 8’ (Feet)X 8’ (Feet) per Acre.
5. Can we get the plants/seeds anywhere near Hyderabad? If yes, Please help to pass some contacts…
We have tried seed several Times with about 7 Quanta-ls. We could not get even 3oo Saplings. Hence we are getting Saplings. Now we are having 2 Feet Height Plants in our Farm at Chimaldari Nr. Shankarpally.

Pl. Find the Rain-fed Grown Trees and 2 feet Height Saplings in our Nursery

A post was split to a new topic: Help with design for border trees