Help with design for border trees

Hello fellow farmers…

I’m working on multiple permutations & combinations to get an ideal design for border tree selection. Based on many discussions, I have come up with following design and want to ask your suggestion if this method can be incorporated .

Your suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

The total perimeter of the farm is 1750 feet and I’ll be using cement poles at 8 feet distance combined with barbed wired to fence it. Thereafter, I want to develop a live fence which is why I’m using Gliricidia and Jatropha.

What do you plan to do in your farm? Agriculture/Horticulture? Landscaping/ farmhouse? My views based on my experience

1. Glyricidea - Good as bulk green manure but attracts a lot of aphids and blackflies which in turn infest and damage main crops.
  2. Melia dubea - Heavy water feeder. Lot of dry leaf fall. Leaves do not rot quickly. Can result in easy fodder for fires etc.
  3. Jatropa - No suggestions here though not sure how effective it is as a border/hedge plant.

I myself prefer a variety of Bougainville and bamboo as quite effective, beautiful and relatively less water feeder crops for a border

1 Like

Why you have not suggested “AVISA” which is having more nutritive and COMMERCIAL value

1 Like

Thanks @vasudhafarms @apdharkar for your suggestions…

The farm is primarily intended to be a coconut orchard with intercropping. I want to start with banana and Avocado in year 1. Jatropha was specifically selected to deal with problems from bad insects and pests as it is home to useful insects that prey on the bad ones (something I’ve learnt based on discussions with progressive farmers)

Bougainville was initially one of the choices but had to let go after considering the efforts to prune it periodically and maintain it after the initial growth. Therefore, Glyricidia was chosen in its place for its benefits in nitrogen fixation and green manure.

I’ve added Agase (Avisa) to my list to the third layer along with Moringa (Nugge).

If there are other suggestions, please let me know and I appreciate your time. Thanks.

1 Like