Freshwater Fish

Dear All,

What are the fish varieties that can be grown in freshwater? Also, Please provide the rates and the available place for them.

Regards
padmanabhan_ganesan@yahoo.co.in

Let us pool in all the information we can obtain on the topic over time.

Here is a link I found: preservearticles.com/2011022 … india.html

In India aquaculture is generally a polyculture of carps usually Rohu,Catla,Mrigal. Giant freshwater prawns(M.rosenbergi) also may be added to the mix without any adverse effects. Some fisheries also grow catfish(magur,pangasius), mudcrab etc. Barramundi(Sea bass/Bekti/Chonuk/Jitala) is also a estuarine fish which can be grown and is a wonderful table fish.
The fry or fingerlings can generally be purchased from the nearest fisheries dept.
Regards,
Yaj.

check this link fao.org/docrep/t0581e/t0581e00.htm

Regards

Dear vamsi,

First of all, thanks for the article. I have gone through the link provided by you and it is very easy to understand even for a newbie like me.

I am looking for similar articles related to chicken, goats & cows. If you have links related to these, please provide the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hello Vamsi,
Very good notes, anyone can understand easily

Hi, Where do we get the small fishes. getting from the govt dept doent seem feasible. can you suggest some private vendors. Thx

Dear All,

I attended/attending the KVK training related to Freshwater Fish. Here are the places you will get fingerlings…

Okay…Please pardon me as I do not know want to do make mistake while translating and hence giving the actual names as it is.

1. Tamilnadu Fish Vithai Pannai, Pudur, Poondi - 94442 94739
  2. Bharath Fish Vithai Pannai, Poondi - 9443188364 / 9444085972
  3. Seed Fish India, Poondi - 99621 32202
  4. Raghuram Fish Pannai, Wallajahpettai - 9443034826
  5. Venkatesan, Tiruporur - 9791018892
  6. Pandian Fish Vithai Pannai, Dindigul - 9367926369

Best of Luck!!!

Note: I do have Prawn addresses as well. If anybody requires, please let me know.

Regards

Hi Padmanaban,

Thanks for a fast reply,

What may be the approx cost per 1000 fishlings of ROHU, KATLA, PRAWNS etc, This is just to make sure I am not taken for a ride from the dealer. can you also post the contacts of the prawn fingerling dealers?

Went through most of your posts. I appreciate your effort in gathering information all at one place.

Regards,

Dear agri_lover,

I understand from the training, most of the fish fingerling (crap variety) will be in the range of 0.5 - 5 Rs (per piece) based on the size of the fingerlings. It is advisable to go for minimum 3 inches of fingerlings as the survivability is better in this.

Prawns survivability will be more if the prawn is 100 gms.

Prawn Contacts

1. Iraniappan, Kalpakkaam, Mugaiyur - 9443359359 /9444279169/9841049379
  2. Nikita Poripaggam, Mugaiyur - 9884079933/9840736826

My suggestion is to call the multiple contacts and understand the rates better.

Regards

I know that this is a rather old thread Mr. Ganesan, but this was the only thread I could find via forum search, and I am in a similar boat, so here it goes.

I have land in Gujarat and I am contemplating greenhouse based aquaponics cultivation of vegetables there. In the systems I have seen here in US, they all use freshwater fishes like Tilipia in aquaponics based fish farming. Now, according to the business plans I have had access to, 20-30% of revenue has to come from fish for a aquaponics system to be viable.

I have called a few people about availability of Tiliapia fingerlings in India, and unfortunately, I couldnt find any reliable sources for sexed fingerlings. Does anyone here have any recommendations or know any private companies which sell it? The backup I have is to use Rohu/katla carps in aquaponics systems; however I have zero knowledge about those fish, and dont even know how they taste compared to Tiliapia (I am not a big seafood guy, the only reason I eat tiliapia so much is because it doesnt have fishy odor and taste!).

Tilapia is a very fast breeder by itself and hence I dont see any need for sexed fingerlings. But if you really need information, you should get in touch with KVK of your district and ask them for local producers of fingerlings. They should be abe to help.

Regarding CARP varieties you have mentioned, they are available in plenty and they sell very well as in Tamilnadu.

I have given an interview to AgricultureInformation.com and you can search for the same.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

Sexed fingerlings are used when a non native species is farmed so that if some of the fish get into the local water bodies they cannot breed and threaten local species.
Another fish that you can consider is the Pangasius(basa). It is of the catfish family and hence very tolerant of poor water conditions and the fillets are pretty much similar to your taste requirements.
Regards,
Yaj.

Mr. Ganesan,

You are correct that Tilipia is a very fast breeding fish; hence the farms I have visited here in US usually grow them in a monosexed enviornment because if left unchecked, then the high density of fish inhibits the overall growth of fish drastically, and that leads to very few reaching table size. On small scale traditional tiliapia farming in Africa, they sexed it by hand due to sexual dimorphism of the fish, however that he too cost prohibitive.

The other advantage is that as its non native fish, it can be prevented from getting into bigger water bodies. However, this in an Indian scenario is pretty much academic because by some recent reports, Tilapia is already 5-10% of the most total fish in Ganges and other northern river systems.

I’ll look into that catfish for my situation; I eat the local catfish here, and even though the fish itself looks bad, the meat is all white and tastes really good. I would’ve really preferred going with Tiliapia because here I have seen some very large scale farming done on it, and have all the data in hand. Moreover, my plan was to build a 1:50 scaled down model of aquaponics system here in my backyard and perfect that with help of consultants in Academia before I bring the system over to Gujarat. Here one can buy sexed fingerlings of tilapia for as little as Rs. 2-3; however, in the scenario where I cannot find a reliable supplier in India, then it really becomes problematic.

We have an active Aquaponic farm near Chennai. From our studies we have made a couple of inferences:

Catla works well in Aquaponics.

Rohu is poor feeder when placed in FRP tanks, thus does not help the Aquaponic paradigm.

Grass Carp is probably the best, since the nutrient spectra of its excreta is highly diverse. But of course the quality of the feed also plays an important role. But all else held constant, Grass carp is the best option for Aquaponics.

Now that was addressing the nutrient quality for the cropping section.

In terms of growth and taste - Catla and Tilapia rate the highest.

Grass Carp taste is highly localized and depends on your general liking of the taste.

In the case of Rohu, the stock frye should atleast have been a 4th generation tank bred fingerling. Only then it manages to adapt to the tank situation.

We are currently experimenting with Murrel, will fill you in on the observations as we make progress.

Arvind Venkat
WaterFarmers Aquaponics

www.facebook.com/waterfarmersAQ

Mr. Venkat, Thanks for posting your observations. We have received similar advice through another expert we had consulted in the past; and the conclusion then was to focus on catla. Grass carp while simpler to manage is not even considered a food fish in states (although they have similar opinion of all carps), but right now we are not looking at it. We use that as well as other ornamental fish like goldfish to stabilize a newly installed aquaponics system because that’s when we have observed some fish loss; but after stabilization, we intend to switch to tilapia/catla. Its very interesting that you are trying out murrel, my best wishes for that project and please keep us updated on it.

ensure you have completely acclimatized the biome in the Aquaponic system before introducing the fish. If completed, thoroughly the system will be well conditioned and the fish death can be eliminated completely.

Catla seems to be way ahead right now. Will update on the Murrel developments.

Mr. Venkat, yeah high fish loss was mainly because of of us not using enough seed water from otherr fish tanks on our newly installed tanks. we currently have reduced fish loss to very minimum mainly by restricting the feed during the initial period so as to prevent excessive buildup of toxic waste, and then we gradually ramp up the feeding rates to an optimum level.

I’ll be glad if you can reply to few of my queries in the another thread about related topic in new projects subforum. My chief question was for your suggestions on where to procure sexed tiliapia fingerlings from in India? additionally if you want to sell surplus tiliapia from your project to us then please pm me the details.

we only just have our first batch of fingerlings hatched - which are being held and conditioned. But you may contact Darell in Goa, he has a full out hatchery.

facebook.com/DJPereira