Farm fencing question

Hello,

Can some one tell me what would be the approximate cost of different types of farm fencing on a per acre basis. Some of the fencing types I have in mind are:

1. Natural/live fence
  2. Barbed wire fence (plus the pillar cost)
  3. Steel mesh (plus the pillar cost)
  4. Solar fencing
  5. Any other - these days there is some talk about PVC/vinyl fencing etc. - will they work for Indian conditions

Thank you.

1 Like

Can some one tell me what would be the approximate cost of different types of farm fencing on a per acre basis. Some of the fencing types I have in mind are:

1. Natural/live fence Rs.30/- tp Rs.40/- for every ten feet
  2. Barbed wire fence (plus the pillar cost) Rs.50/- to Rs.80/- including every thing, labour etc. for running feet
  3. Steel mesh (plus the pillar cost) Rs.250/- to Rs.300/- including every thing, labour etc. for running feet
  4. Solar fencing Rs.100/- to Rs.120/- including every thingmg, labour etc. for running feet
  5. Any other - these days there is some talk about PVC/vinyl fencing etc. - will they work for Indian conditions

Regards
Sampada Farms & Consultants

Thanks Sampada Farms, most appreciated.
Do you also get just fencing (and levelling etc.) jobs done in AP?

We do everything from land leveling to infra development to planatio, not only in AP, any where. Terns & Conditions apply,
Regards
Sampada Farms & Consultants

Looking for contact details of consultants who provide natural & solar fencing in and around Bangalore.
Could you please provide the respective consultants contact details if any!!

You should be seeing a few contacts in the related topics below this topic!

So barbed wire fence on average is Rs. 50,000 per acre?!
I was under the impression it was lesser. Thanks for the info.

Edit: This is true for a 1 acre square plot. Please see farmnest.com/forum/farm-equipmen … 1/#msg1511 for more information.

Additional pieces of information on barbed wire fence:
Cost of each granite pillar approx. Rs. 150
Common distance between two pillars: 8 feet

Think about barbed wire / chain link getting rusted in course of time , and intelligent cattle using their horns to twist the wires / chain links.
My vote is for live fencing.

True, a natural fence is certainly ideal; however I think there are going to be certain situations where loads of wire would be essential - such as taking possession of a newly bought piece of land.
Or are there any quick natural fence options that can be permanent demarcators?

Yes , natural fencing is slow to grow but it is permanent. One can try Kalli ( Tamil name - I don’t know the botanical name ) which is somewhat fat growing and if the neighboring farmers don’t object one can go in for bamboo.

1. It is always sensible to fence your “commercial” farms using a combination of Concrete Pole + galvanised Chain Link Fencing, upto a height of 5 feet from flat ground level.

2. The above concrete poles should be placed 2 meters apart, and ground base MUST be fixed approx. 2 feet under the ground using a concrete mixure of Cement + Gravel + Sand + Stones.

3. After this the Chain Link should be fixed. It is worthless to fix barbed wire, since the other local cattle-feeding villagers jack up the barbed wire using a wooden “y” pole in the night and allow the hens + goats + cows + bulls + sheeps to gain inside the green farms. Further the barbed wire can be more easily cut at one end and render the whole fencing useless, when compared to chain link fencing.

4. Chain link fencing has the advantage of stopping everything from coming inside the farm, including hens, rabbits, goats, sheep, cows, bulls and so on. This is hardly 10-15% costlier than a barrbed wire fencing, but definetly worth the cost in the immediate and long term. Chain link fencing has immediate advantages and effective from day one itself.

5. Natural fencing is “NOT” effective from day one and takes years to grow or to be effective and is commercial not viable, due to high recurring costs, to maintain and replantations. AND further there are always sufficient gaps for small/big animals/birds to come inside the farm, and causing loss to commercial crops/plants.

6. After installing the Concrete pole + Chain link fencing, farmers should further install double layered “natural fencing” using various types of cactus + thorny plants, just touching the “inside” of the chain link fencing and should be allowed to grow wild for a depth of two feet wide, till ALL the stems become atleast 1-2 inches thick and only after this the natural fence bushes should be trimmed, but only during start of monsoon, after which the trimmed branches should be immediately planted in the gaps that may occur.

7. If it is a residential farm house / bungalow (i.e. not a commercial farm), THEN DO NOT MADE NATURAL FENCE USING THORNY PLANTS.

8. Some of the different type of thorny plant/s that can be used are “Karonda” (Carissa carandas), Shikakai, Lemon, boiganvila, raspberry, wild rose, Hawthorne, Hardy Orange, Black Locust, Pyracantha, Barberry, drawf bamboos, Asparagus, Datura, Thorny staff tree, Guggul, Henna and so on.

Keep Smiling … Hemant Agarwal

Hi Hemant Agarwal, do you have any cost breakup for chainlink fencing? Thanks!

Also, what do you think about barbed wire plus natural fencing?

1. Tentative Cost of galvanised Chainlink fencing near “Mumbai” area is as follows : (as on May-2011)

10 mm thick chainlink = 12/- per square feet
Machine pressed Concrete Pole of 4 inches X 4 inches X 7 feet = 150/- per pole
Labour = approx 100/- per pole (includes digging pit + fitting)
Material cost extra (cement + Sand + gravel …)

1. In all types of Barbed wire fencing, the risks of small animals and birds entering the farm and damaging the plantations are always high. This is even if there is natural fencing. However in chain-link fencing, the entry of all small /medium animals are totally restricted.

2. In Barbed wire fencing, the affect is not immediate, WHEREAS, in Chain-link fenching the advantage is immediate. Barbed wire fencing tends to loosen and sag, after some time. Please note that the plantations require immediate protection when they are planted AND BARBED WIRE FENCING DOES NOT PROVIDE THIS IMMEDIATE PROTECTION. Natural fencing takes long time to grow.

3. When a farmer invests his NEW plants and energy in his farm, the security should be immediate and not on the long term periods AND NATURAL FENCING DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMEDIATE PROTECTION. However, in such circumstances chain-link fencing provides an immediate solution (like in case of plant Nurseries, small fruit plants, vegetables and so on). Commercial farmers cannot afford to rely on natural fenching or barbed wire fencing, wherein even IF two goats or pigs or rabbits or cows enter the farm, THEN such animals can destroy the farm within days.

Chain link is definitely far better but are you sure about the cost difference? i am planning to go in for a barbed wire fence with a sagargota natural fence next to it. Till the sagargota gets dense enough(2 years I’m told) my 4 dogs will have to take care of any intruders >:(.
Regards,
Yaj.

hi,
you seem to be from Mumbai. can you recommend where I can buy “sagargota” for natural fencing in Mumbai( and around).
Not aware of sagargota, just read it here. Also can you recommend any other plants to grow for natural fencing.

Personally I don’t like to plant cactus as a natural fence, so looking for non-cactus type of plants/shrubs.

I had inquired in Murbad/Saralgaon since that is close to my proposed farm.I was told it is available for around Rs 250/kg. My friend in Pen too said he could source it there.
Another plant I was told is good for fencing is the Henna(mehndi) plant.
Regards,
Yaj.

Hi, as yaj pointed out, this does not match up to what Sampada Farms posted here: Farm fencing question - #2 by sampadafarms
According to this, it is about 4-5 times the cost of barbed wire fencing. Is it to do with the square feet vs. running feet calculation?

for Mr. Yaj :

1. Costing depends on area to area, which means transportation cost, labour cost, material cost, with /without bill cost.

2. Benefits include : Chain-link fencing ensures Immediate benefit which surpasses all benefits of natual fenching and/or barbed wire fencing. The most important “TIME” that you need fencing is when you have just planted trees, plants, vegetables and so on. AND consider that small animals like goats, rabbits, pigs, cows enter the farm through the barbed wire and/or natural fence, AND THEN consider the loss to the new purchased & planted plants + labour cost + fertilizer + pesticide etc… AND THEN consider the cost difference between chain-link fencing and the cost of barbed wire + natural fence.

3. IF you are going to first do the barbed wire fencing + SagarGota natural fencing, THEN according to yourself it will take more than 2 years and the Dogs feeding costs. ALL THIS TIME OF 2 YEARS, NOW YOU CANNOT DO FARMING, TILL THE NATURAL FENCE TAKES OVER PROPERLY. Consider the costing of losing agricultural produce (vegetables etc…) AND then consider the loss of profit on such produce, FOR TWO LONG YEARS.

4. Farmers / Agriculturists should show long-term planning with their farms and act accordingly, instead of spending little in the beginning and suffering huge costs later on. Agriculturists should not use the policy of “Penny wise Pound foolish”.

I had already agreed that chain link is better.

I already have my 4 dogs and am already feeding them so the cost is irrelevant to me. A well done barbed wire fence is pretty secure and no farmer in his right mind is going to send his livestock into a fenced area with 4 ferocious dogs unless he wants to contribute to their feeding. >:(
So I have every intention of starting my farming activities from the outset. The 2 years I quoted was for the sagargota fence to become impenetrable.

Yeah right.Please credit others with some intelligence! Your way, necessarily does not have to be the only way!