End to End watermelon cultivation Help

Hi Friends,

I am planning for 2 Acrs of Watermelon in Jan 2014 or Feb 2014. Request you experts end to end help . I am located in udgir , Dist : Latur , Maharashtra

1.which variety of watermelon to chose for commercial farming
2.Can any one provide saplings rather than seeds
3.What is the best and productive planting method
4. What should be the water irrigation schedule from planting to removing watermelon
5. Need fertilizer and pesticide schedule from day 1 to last day.
6. Any further advice on anything I am missing

Regards
Dayanand

1.which variety of watermelon to chose for commercial farming
farmnest.com/forum/agricultural- … /#msg13427
2.Can any one provide saplings rather than seeds
You have to check local nurseries. it is better to procure seeds yourself and get sapling rised in nurseries.Need 7000 plants/acre at a spacing of 2.5x2.5
3.What is the best and productive planting method
Local nurseries
4. What should be the water irrigation schedule from planting to removing watermelon
Micro sprikler is better other than flowering season. Once the fruits start ripening water must be stopped. In my locality they dont irrigate at all yield is very less
5. Need fertilizer and pesticide schedule from day 1 to last day.
Need fertiliser 10 tonnes of FYM, complex. Humic acid gives best result on watermelons.
6. Any further advice on anything I am missing
Pruning/pinching is needed. Leave only two fruits/plant.
Keeping bees will increase yield.
Cannot tolerate water logging and shade.
Highly sensitive to powdery mildew.
Dont sell in bulk to a single buyer. More the quantity lesser the price you get.

Hi

Check attachment for some more information.
Basic thing to remember is watermelon is very very sensitive to water. Irrigation has to be done very carefully, more irrigation, plants will die, Less plants will die. Rains or dew, plants will die. I have experienced first hand and lost heavily with my crop of 3 acres.
Of course all diseases can be controlled by sprays but any disturbance in the growth results in lesser yield.
Use mulching sheets with drip, reduces watering requirements and weeding expenses.

Good luck.
Nikhil

Attachment (updated link): farmnest.com/forum/agricultural- … ttach=3671

Thanks a lot Siri and Nikhil. I am in process of normalising all the information i get from you expert and start my first cultivation in Jan end. I will come back to all for any further suggestions required.

DayanandMadje Bhayya it is not advisable to use seedlings.If you Prefer seedlings the yield will be decreased Drastically. Generally no body use seedlings for creepers. Because you have already decided you plan for sowing seedlings early.

MANNE.SN,
Vasudha Green Farm,

Dear Mr. Mann,

Thanks for your advise. Request your help with the correct method and whats exactly to be done

Regards
Daya

Dear Nikhil,

I am not able to download the attachment… says its not found. Please upload again

regards
Daya

Thanks Sri.
Just one question: Why to leave 2 fruits at one plant?
Regards,
Sid.

If you allow more fruits, you will get many small fruits than two big fruits. Some icebox verieties dont need this activity. They will give only 2-3 fruits/plant.

See if you can download this attachment.
Chandra, can you check what could be issue, the attachment in one of the previous posts is visible but not available for download.

Thanks
Nikhil
WaterMelon.pdf (173 KB)

Thnk you Mr.DayanandMadje for your reply post.

You go for seed sowing only. Not to go for seedlings. You prefer the Veriety which is suitable and Marketable in your area in Consultation with the Horticulturist. If you want cultivation Methods I will send. Pl. Mail if needed to vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com, .

MANNE.SN,09133498366.

Thank you Sir. Mr.Niksnarayana for you GOOD learning article on Water Melon.
Kindly inform us the meaning of column “Quantity/ acre” in the Attachment.Is it Acre or Plant.
Kindly infor us the correct position .

MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,

Hi Nikhil, Thankful to you for watermelon.pdf…

@ ALL ----- I happnened to meet one of the farmer in my area having experience of watermelon cultivation with mulching & drip .Last year he has taken chilly with watermelon… one chilly plant between two watermelon plants. As per him , he made 3 lakhs in 1 acre with both crops inclusive of 50K incurred cost. Hard to believe … but his confidence says all. He sold to local retail market in phases.

So friends chilly with watermelon advisable? How does it help? what other combinations can be tried ?

Thanks
Daya

There was a technical issue. Now that you have uploaded again, I will remove the earlier one. Thanks.

Since you will be irrigating with drip, the quantity per acre makes sense. You have to mix that quantity and ensure that it is available for 1 acre land with ventury drip irrigation.
For per plant, you calculate how many plants you will be planting in 1 acre, that you divide by the total fertilizer quantity.

Nikhil

Thanks …

Please help with

1. What should be the planting method distance wise?
  2. What should be mulching laying method?
  3. Should I take chilly also as mixed crop?
  4. How many plants ideal per acre?

Thanks
Daya

Dear Sri & other group members,

Pls help with below,

1. What should be the planting method distance wise?
  2. What should be mulching laying method?
  3. Should I take chilly also as mixed crop?
  4. How many plants ideal per acre?
    5.Frequency of using panchgavaya?
  5. Use of ferliser and pestcides?

Thanks
Daya

Hi

Did you check the document that I uploaded, I think it has all relevant information.
Chili with watermelon has advantages that your mulching sheet and drip system need not be disturbed till the chilly crop is over.

However, both watermelon and chilly have same diseases and pests and chilly grows slowly compared to watermelon, so dont know how you plan your fertilizer, pesticide sprays.

Good luck.
Nikhil

Dear Dayanand,

You already have wonderful information from other members. One small piece I would like to add.

Watermelon is around 100 day crop. If you sow by end of Jan the crop will be ready in first half of May. That time you may have to compete with Mango, hence demand and prices may be lower. If you can plan to hit the market in April; which is already pretty hot these days; the demand is good. This is based on my personal buying experience that was later confirmed by a farmer .

All the best.

Regards,
Satish

Thank you Sir,
I am confirming the suggestion of Mr.Satish. If you want to go for Watermelon go for Immediate Plantation. If you sow the seed Now you can get it harvested in the Last week of March or at the Latest in the 1st week of April. It is not too late . If you Planned earlier the Crop should be Planted in TWO phases i.e. one crop Before M aha Shivaratri and other Crop starts in the Last week of March/First week of April.Any way if the Field is ready go ahead “ALL THE BEST”.

MANNE.SN,
Vasudha Green Farms,