Dairy Farming - knowledgebase and resources

Dear All

I need CO4 & Nepiar Seed where is available  kindly provided  details

Dear all

if any one have vaccination  calendar ple share …

Dear all,

I want to make use of cow dung urine as manure. I have made one pit to get collected for this purpose.
Now I need one slurry pump,can anyone know any dealers in Bangalore or in and around with some minimum budget for this.
Please do let me know what would be the approximate cost for this application.

Regards,
Sheshaprasad

Dear all,

I wan to know the avaailability of liquid nitrogen and can in Bangalore to store the semen.
Do let me know if anyone has the idea.

Regards,
Sheshaprasad

hi shesha
you can enquire in jc road for cryocans

online tolexo.com/ibp-ba-liquid-nit … ocans.html

how many cows you have?

To new Entrepreneurs:-

1.  Please check how many teeth the cow has, it helps you to identify the stage of lactation.
2.  Find out what were the feeds fed to those cows in the place from where you bought these cows, a sudden change can create problems.
3.  You can make your own mix with groundnut/coconut/gingelly/cotton seed cake and brans like rice, wheat or maize.
4.  Fodder minimum 25 kg per cow per day (lactating cows).
5.  In the evenings, give little hay which helps the cow for regurgitation.
6.  Water intake is very important. Milk contains 85 to 88% water.
7.  Give enough of Calcium and Mineral supplements in powder or liquid form.
8.  De-worming very important. Reduce worm load in cows for better results.
9.  The best time for insemination is in the last part of heat. Normally, cows observed to be on heat in the morning should be inseminated in the afternoon
        and cows detected on heat in the afternoon be inseminated in the morning of the following day. 
10.  Timing of insemination and quality of semen (cold chain very important) are 2 important factors plus management in general.
11.  Post teat dipping should be practiced with iodine based teat dip solution after milking.
12.  Calf rearing to be done professionally. Feed milk to calves using calf bottles ensuring milk fed to the calf as needed.
13.  Concentrate more on fat increasing diet ingredients like cotton seed, coconut cake, groundnut cake and good quality greens.
14.  To improve bone health, feed more greens, legumes. Avoid using salt in excess.
        Grass feeding improves the quality of cow’s milk.

15.  The cow adapts to increased calcium needs for lactation by mobilizing more Calcium from bones, absorbing calcium from gut and losing less calcium in the urine. When the age of cow increases, her milk production rises and she fails to absorb calcium from the gut. A dairy cow unloads her entire blood pool of calcium into the udder to produce colostrum. Muscles that fail without calcium include those in the uterus, gastro intestinal tract, urinary tract, skeletal  system and heart. A calcium deficient cow cannot push calves well and may prolapse the uterus and often retains placenta. Cows may bloat and cease to defecate and urinate.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Dear members, I am from a remote place of Assam. I have a plot of land of about 7 Acre where partly rice and partly sugar cane is cultivated. During the rainy season ankle deep water remain on the plot for several mon. The land is not very much suitable for either rice sugar cane.

Now, can you please advise if fodder can be grown on such land round the year. If it is possible to use the land for fodder cultivation, we will start dairy farming. Also if you please advise for how many numbers of cows, this 7 acre of plot can provide fodder round the year.

Regards
Tikhar 

AGE OF A COW

The age of a cow 2 permanent incisors at 2 years of age, 4 at 3 years,6 at 4 years and 8 permanent incisors at 5 years of age.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

Hi friends happy to see the all the information about dairy farming.
This is Ravikumar from mysore,I m very much interested in dairy farming,already we constructed the cow shead and planning to start with 5 Jersey cows so I need ur help to buy Jersey cow’s .pls tell m Wher I can get the good breeds.
My number is -+9197432699991

Hi friends
I have got lot of information on dairy farming in farmnest, I want thanks to everyone.
This is Ravikumar from mysore
I m very much interested in dairy farming, we built cow shead recently,planning to start with 5 Jersey cow’s and please help m to find good breeds of Jersey.
My contact number is =+919743269991

Hello Yashwanth,

We have also built the same with a capacity of 40 cows,but initially starting up with 10 cows.
I have some good contacts,I will get you the link.
My contact is 9886664833

what is the use of cow urine

Cow urine is one of the ingredient for making Panchagavya, an ayurvedic medicine.

Gomutra is believed to be helpful in the treatment of leprosy and cancer. A mixture of gomutra, Triphala, and cow milk is used for the treatment of Anaemia. It is also used in the treatment of fever by mixing it with black pepper, yoghurt, and ghee. A floor-cleaning fluid is also marketed by one group, using cow urine. Jeevamrutha is a fertilizer made from a mixture of  cow urine, cow dung, jaggery, pulse flour and rhizosphere soil. A mixture of gomutra, custard apple leaves and neem leaves after boiling helps in the making of a biopesticide. Gomutra is believed to increase plant resistance and Panchagavya is believed to increase growth of soil bacteria and improve fertility.

See this:

youtube.com/watch?v=gMqQRH_E0Wg

Murali Krishnan

Machines needed for Milking;-

We decide on the capacity to milk our cows at the earliest, mostly in an hour’s time. For that you may follow this:-

Type of Milking Machines with the number of cans depends on number of cows you have. Trolley machines with one bucket is normally seen everywhere, for 5 cows.  For 5 cows to 10 cows, go for fixed type milking machines which can milk one cow at a time. It takes 6-8 minutes to milk one cow irrespective of its yield. Let it give, 6,12,18 or more at a time. The time needed to milk is 6-8 minutes only. More than 1 can, you see only fixed type machines, due to the easiness in usage. A cow producing 12 liters has got the capacity to give you 2 liters of milk per minute through the 4 teats of the cow. A cow producing 18 liters (one time) can give you 3 liters per minute. Milk them completely.

For 1-5 cows –Trolley (less than 10 numbers, you are sure you will not expand)
For 5-10 cow farm likely to expand: Better buy fixed type with 1 can in the beginning where in you can add 1 more can later.
For 20 cow farm – Buy fixed type with 2 cans so that the milking job will be over in an hour or max 75 minutes.
For 50 cow farm – Buy machines which can operate 4/5 cans at a time- meaning milk 4/5 cows at a time
For 100 cow farm –Buy miking machines which can milk 10/12 cows at a time.

Economy model milking machines launched. Dual power machines available - with electric motor and Genset (starting petrol, running on kerosene). Mail us or talk to us for more details.

Technology is very important. In today’s world, buy machines with alternate pneumatic pulsation having oil free pulsators. Avoid recurring expenditure of buying oil every month.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

[color=red]CALF REARING:-[/color]

[i]A calf when born must be fed with her mother’s colostrum milk.  Colostrum is a form of milk produced by the cow in late pregnancy stage. They produce colostrum prior to the calving normally. Colostrum will have antibodies to protect the new born calf against diseases.  It will contain more fat than normal milk and it varies considerably. It will have a slight laxative effect too, which motivates the baby to pass stool, which is called meconimum.  Colostrum contains lymphocytes (immune cells).  Colostrum milk is a must for new borns. The new born calf should receive colostrum milk within 6 hours after birth for good absorption.  New born calves must get minimum 4 liters of Colostrum milk., each liter containing minimum 50 gms of Immunoglobulin in it. In well maintained farms, colostrum milk is fed to calves using  “Calf Bottle”.  The calves are removed from their mother’s soon after birth and fed colostrum from a bottle.

Later, they are fed with 2 liters of calf milk replacer, twice a day. The calves must get minimum 6 liters of milk replacer a day. After 3 weeks, they can be fed, once in a day, preferably in the morning hours. Calf bottle feeding is recommended than feeding by calf buckets. Coarse starter mix recommended than pellets. Calf weaner feed should have at least 18%  protein. Wean them gradually off milk replacer over a 7 to 10 day period. A calf converts feed into flesh more effectively than at any other age, so it’s important to provide the right feed. Easily digestible flakes of Maize, Barley, Peas mixed with good quality proteins and minerals, ensures the calf to grow faster and helps weaning an easy process. Feeding in the development stage is very important especially in case of female calves.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

[/i]

Hello All,

I had been getting many calls asking how to determine the age of cows. Never believe the broker’s words. Their intention is to make money from both ends. So, keep this in your mind while going for cow purchase. The first calving minimum yield will be there. The best will be second, third,3 and fourth calvings.

Murali krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

hi,
we run  dairy farming in magadi near bangalore, karnataka… we are planning to start a new one.
We did some research to setup a dairy farm, basically all the information about setting up a dairy farm in terms of money was mentioned in a nabard website, we are  not satisfied with the information, can anyone from farmnest help us with cost setup.

i also found some info about dairy farming. but it was not sufficient.
below are the cost plan provided by govnt for a new dairy farming venture

[ul]
[li]Capital Cost
Cost of animals 500000
Transportation cost 10000
Construction of animal shed 60000
Construction of calf shed 24000
Cost of Chaff cutter and
equipment 60000
Total 654000[/li]
[li][/li][/ul]

Techno economic parameters
Type of Animal Graded Murrah Buffalo
No. of Animals 10
No. of animals/batch 5
Cost of Animal (Rs./animal) 50000
Cost of culled animal 5000
Transportation Cost/Animal 1000
Average Milk Yield (litre/day) 10
Floor space (sqft) per adult animal 50
Floor space (sqft) per calf 20
Cost of construction per sqft (Rs.) 120
Cost of chaff cutter (power operated) (Rs.) 50000
Cost of equipment per animal (Rs.) 1000
Insurance premium (% per annum) 5
Veterinary aid/animal/ year (Rs.) 1000
Quantity of Concentrate feed in one bag(kgs.) 50
Cost of concentrate feed (Rs./kg) 12
Cost of dry fodder (Rs./kg) 2
Cost of green fodder (Rs./kg) 1
No. of labourers 1
Salary of labourer per month (Rs.) 4500
Cost of electricity and water/animal/year (Rs.) 150
Margin (%) 25
Rate of interest (%) 12
Repayment period (years) 5
Selling price of milk/litre (Rs./litre) 26
Sale price of gunny bags (Rs.per bag) 10
Lactation days 270
Dry days 150

can you please help us with a new cost. which is more affordable.

Dear farmnest team
If i have no sufficient green fodder then can i give only dry fodder.
Regards
Ajit

Hello Mr.Ajit,

You don’t have fodder due to scarcity of land or unfavourable climate or scarcity of water? Try getting in touch with any Hydroponic fodder machine supplier, which might solve your problem. Select the Fodder machine per day output capacity based on the number of Cows/ buffaloes/ goats you have.

Good luck.

Murali Krishnan

Thanks murali sir.I am going to start a dairyfarm within two months.