Commercial vegetable project in a toughest and challenging environment

Hello Ramu

Thank you for the detailed report.

Can let us know the variety of Brinjal?

Thanks

Dear Dr Ramu Sir,

Good and great sir, our forum to be enriched with good optimistic, such knowledge, as you said.

I saw farmers getting good tomato, yields (indeterminate varieties) in green houses. Sir Is it possible to get above 100 tonnes per acre in open ( with determinates tomato) tomato crop. Pl explain us.

Your wording, " unfold mystery behind plant physiology and learn to speak the language of the plant" is great sir. We hope that some of us will learn under your guidance shortly.

Our Forum needs your expertise

With best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

It is varikatri

Dearest G.P.Rao sir

I understand your question that says the determinate variety of tomato ends its life cycle well within time and there after no new flush is produced .That strictly says yield can not be produced beyond this time . In case of indeterminate tomato the plant keeps producing for extended period specifically in green house or polyhouse …

Why not we produce 100 MT of tomato in open field condition?

The indeterminate tomato needs periodical pruning of suckers if you really want to maintain the character of inderterminate growth behaviour as unpruned tomato will almost limit the fruit yield beyond certain fruit load …The principle of Apical dominance in all the plant system.

Where as in determinate tomato , the plant produce lot of branches during its limited vegetative growth phase and all the branches under favorable condition are induced to produce fruit clusters . If all the flower clusters are converted into realizable yield , you can get even beyond 100 MT …It is the question of Good agricultural practices plus selection of right tomato variety that has genetic potential to yield more …In determinate variety , you can not extend the duration but you can manage the vegetative phase that is important in view of increased number of branches and fruit clusters ,individual fruit size and fruit weight …

Even in green house all the farmers are not producing big yield as we generally think the green house / Hydrophonic cultivation is expected to do under controlled condition …

It is the question of Good agricultural practices plus selection of right variety of tomato and right time of sowing .

Thanks Ramu

Hi Ramu Sir,

Its really inspiring to read such nice and detailed explanation about brinjal farming.
A big thank you for motivating us !!!

Sir, I am from Odisha and planning to plant brinjal in 1.5 acres of land. Could you please suggest any specific seed for our region.
Because, last time we faced a lot of bacterial wilt and fruit loss in plants.

Thanks in Advance,
Pradyot Jena
Bhubaneswar, Odisha

Dear friend, I have no idea about odisha soil or prevailing climate there .There are lot of varieties and hybrids in Brinjal in India .SO better refer your case to nearest technical institute in Odisha…I understand there is a big progress in vegetable cultivation with lot of technical expertise .However I wish to give you this high light on bacterial wilt disease as below

Bacterial wilt has become quite common in plants belonging to solanaceous family ( Night shade ) …Recently the wilt disease damage all solanaceuos group of plants more particularly Egg plants and Tomato

The wild variety has developed resistance to bacterial wilt as the root exudates that contain phenolic compounds deter the development and spread of bacteria ( here in this case we refer it as Ralstonia solanacearum bacteria , class of bacteria belonging to bacillus type )

where as in high yielding hybrid brinjal , the genetic make up originally built in plant cells by nature over past thousands of years were broken rendering newly developed bybrid plants weak and susceptible to the attack of bacteria

Due to escalated cost of cultivation now a days , cultivation of wild / Native brinjal has made farming uneconomical due to low yield …

So no other go than doing hybrid brinjal that invariably being attacked and infested when condition favorable for bacteria prevails in the cultivation field

so best advise is that you pick up a best and high yielding hybrid brinjal seeds in the market and do BIO PRIMING WITH TRICHODERMA VIRIDE / PSEUDOMONAS FLORSCENS BIO PESTICIDE before sowing seeds in protray

The fungus or bacteria will penetrate the seed coat and proliferate sufficiently enough to protect the seedlings / plant from bacterial or pathogenic fungi attack.

Also apply more organic matter in the form of well decomposed farm yard manure . 15 dys before field application , mix required quantity of Trichoderma viride/ psedomonas florscens , azospirillum , phosphobacteria /bacillus subtilis culture with FYM and keep it moist with wet gunny bags with daily stirring and turning the culture so as to enable fast growth of microbes

This culture can be applied over the planting bed a day before planting .This increase microbial population counts in soil that compete with pathogenic bacteria and prevent its damage

If possible apply Lime to the field .The lime too suppress the pathogenic bacteria and prevent infection

The bacteria develop fast with virulence in the temperature range of 29-37 degree celsius with excessive moisture …So better cultivate brinjal in raised bed to ensure sufficient drainage during heavy rainfall …

The bacteria responsible for wilt disease is mainly soil borne and spread by seeds, irrigation water and debris

so control measures are as follows

1.Seed treatment - chemical seed treatment is temperary - bio pesticide treatment by bio priming is a permanent cure or atleast for most part of plant life cycle that produce great yield before damage
2.More organic matter added to soil - FYM or sunhemp ( crotalaria spp ) as green manure can be grown and incorporated in situ before brinjal planting .This prevent soil borne bacterial pathogen
3.Periodical spray of pseudomonas florscens at 7-10 days interval for atleast 6 times
4.In case of unusual weather expected in short future , do protective spray with copper based fungicide / or when you notice symptom of bacterial wilt during heavy rain and flood

5.If you still feel insecure about plant health , better go for grafted brinjal plant and grow it for 3 years continuously - first year main crop , second and third year ratoon crop of brinjal …without ploughing soil for 3 consecutive years

1 Like

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Great. No words. we, farmers gets lot of energy and inspiration by study the above detailed narration, given by experts like you. I have already inspired, took a decision to do Brinjal farming, immediately after i saw your project at Devenahalli, and ofcourse, your valuable suggestions and guidance is required.

Here i want to request to clarify these 2 .

1. Which variety of Brinjals are best for our Bengaluru area ( in and around 100 kms ), in respect of good quality and good market acceptance, in both chennai & Bengaluru areas.
  2. Please explain in detail about Grafting of Brinjal.

we will wait for your valuable reply sir.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dear G.P.Rao sir

I dont think you do not know about brinjal varieties that are demanded most in the bangalore market by consumers . However I wish to say that demand for different brinjal varieties is mainly determined by the consumer taste and preference .As a matter of fact , those people who like " Bathanakai palya and Vangebath " in karnatka prefer " Green long brinjal variety . For sambar saru people like short brinjal called medium purple …

I bestow my attention on high productivity only( Technology ) and i am least concerned about market …

Regarding grafting in Brinjal , following are the few steps that need to be followed

1.Sow the seeds of Solanum torvum ( A wild plant belonging to solanaceae plant family ) either in polybag or any other suitable grow bag and wait until it produce 2-3 true leaves in each plant - This wild plant is treated as root stock that resist or have tolerance to root rot and wilt diseases caused by soil borne pathogenic micro organism like Bacterial or fungus or other rot causing pathogenic micro organism

2.Sow the seeds of high yielding hybrid brinjal as scion in a seperate grow bag or nursery and wait until it produce 2-3 true leaves

3.In a root stock plant ( S. torvum ) make a slanting cut at 30 degree angle just above cotyledon or near first true leaf

4.Make a slanting cut at 30 degree angle in a scion ( hybrid brinjal seedlings ) just above cotyledon or near first true leaf

5.Prepare a cylindrical polytube like cool drinks straw and cut it into 10 mm pieces , insert the scion cuttings into the poly tube in such a way that the cut angle of scion and polytube are paralell and the scion is pushed half way through polytube and the other end of polytube is inserted into root stock in such a manner that the scion and root stock are joined that are held together by polytube until the meristem tissues of scion and root stock fit into each other making one single plant …

6.This grafted plant is moved into the screening chambers or shade house to prevent the grafted plant from being exposed to adverse weather and to allow it harden for about a week or until you feel the plant is ready for planting in the main field

7.Some place , the people are using wedge grafting or splice grafting …but the concept is same .

Hope this explanation would have reinforced your earlier knowledge gained about grafting techniques …

1 Like

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Thank you much sir. Now i will enquire about Solanum torvum seeds in the institutes and Ag universities and put in practice.

I will give you the possible feed back sir.

Once again, heartly thanks for sharing valuable knowledge to our forum farmers.

With best wishes, gprao, farmer

Dearest G.P.Rao sir

Thank you…No doubt about success of this grafting technology in Brinjal…Instead of going to Agri universities , you can collect seeds of s.torvum from around your field and use it for grafting

For your further information , you can also graft tomato scion in the root stock of S.torvum ,ie you can grow tomato plant in brinjal root stock …

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Thank you very much for your information. I am fully confident about your opinikn, and dpubdt less success.

I will try as suggested by you, for brinjals and tomato varieties.

With best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer.

Great sir,…Hope your good self start this project soon by June this year and same is demonstrated by July 2016…After that we will meet for further discussion and will take it forward with big commercial success …Stay blessed

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Sure sir. So kind of you.

With good wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

My goodness! A feast of an article! Though I don’t understand many of the core subject terminology, it’s still a inner celebration reading your articles. Thank you sir.

Just for the benefit of naive students like me to get visual understanding, I would like to share a link which explains grafting technique just similar to what I assume you advised. Please correct if the link below is not exactly what you were suggesting. Hope my act is not inappropriate here. Thanks again.
perrywood.co.uk/grafted-vegetables/

Guru

Thanks you very much Sir !!
You are truly inspiring !!!

Thank you for sharing valuable information.

Recent hail storm at our farm caused a havoc to all the field vegetables but we never got tiered of the damage …we are prepared to face everything , acute water shortage during the summer in immediate past and hail storm now …

Brinjal is recovering from hail storm but with profuse blossoms …reviving yield …

1 Like

The drumstick PKM 1 planted in over half an acre too suffered in hail storm …Just a week before we did pruning and started applying Ammonium sulphate in pocket manuring to induce profuse flowering …but sure we succeed in reviving drumstick …because it is a special vegetable

But our organic Rice keeps growing against all adverse weather …