Commercial vegetable project in a toughest and challenging environment

Hi Ramu sir

Reading your comments are really fascinating, I am from Sri lanka, following this forum for last few months, specially this topic.

It is really inspiring, and thank you very much…

Duminda

Thank you dear Pal…Agriculture is subject more to the changes in weather and environmental factors that are beyond human control and is happening every second and felt by plant system the same way …It is human intelligence that explore the mysteries and unriddle the problem to solve all the issues happening every second …

I take pleasure to work on the changing and challenging environment and finding solution to solve the issues …

Dear Ramu sir,

You are really are among very few out there who understands and is able to communicate with plant life :slight_smile: . Really very inspiring.
It is not an easy task to incessantly bear the acute challenges which are natural and that too one after the other without giving enough time to recuperate. Yet your efforts managed to provide sustenance to the crops. Bravo!

Best Regards
Guru

I second Mr.Guruprasad.

Dear @RAMU Sir,

As always you are a generating lot of inspiration with your efforts on the field.

Can you please share more details about your rice plantation and moringa in a seperate thread.

Thanks

Dear friend…Yes you are right about sharing details of individual crop like paddy and drumstick in separate thread . Due to time constrains I happened to post all in the same thread…Will post in separate thread with more technical details soon…Thanks

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

I can’t keep quite, with out giving my opinion on your services to our Forum.

you are giving lot of inspiration to our forum farmers. sharing lot of expertise advises to all of us, for which we will be always thankful to you. inspite of your busy schedules, also, your services to us are not forgetable.Though it is fifficult we request you to help our farming community, with the authority, which we trust and inspire.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

1 Like

Dearest G.P.Rao sir…

Sure …will do to the best of my knowledge that may guide the needy to get more in the farming …

1 Like

A week before a hail storm caused damage to our moringa variety PKM 1 …

As I already explained , our soil is red gravel with poor water holding capacity , poor organic and mineral matter .The soil get hard either due to lack of water that form surface crust in summer or due to excess rainfall in a single spell that collapse soil structure .Either way it reduce soil air that is most important for root respiration .Once root respiration is arrested the plant start feeling sick since it could neither absorb water nor mineral nutrients from soil that will simply reflect on the leaves of drumstick turning yellow and side branches getting weak and drooping …

As an immediate remedial measure we raked soil around root zone of every drumstick plant that will increase soil air circulation and applied nearly 5 kgs of well decomposed FYM treated with Azospirrillum and phosphobacteria …These mix is expected to keep the soil loose and moist and induce new roots that might help pick up or resume growth and development of damaged drumstick plant
Actually these drumstick were direct seeded plants sown in the first week of February 2016 with Bhendi as intercrop …Now we removed bhendi after few harvests , made pruning in drumstick and prepare the land for another intercrop - brinjal in ensuing kharif planting season

Before onset of south West Monsoon , we are going to intercrop Brinjal in Drumstick …Because we trust the drumstick foliage is not that dense and even if it produce dense foliage part of that may be pruned to enhance sun light penetration and air circulation …

One more idea of intercropping brinjal in Drumstick is that the drumstick foliage is bearing insecticidal property …So it might act as natural organic insecticide for brinjal vegetable …

1 Like

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

In general, the annual Moringa seeds/seedlings will be planted in main field during july-August months and yielding starts in February- May.

Can we plant the same in February-April, and can we get the crop in september_November months. Will the yield be good like regular plantings. Other goods and bads in this odd seasons cropping.

Any other best time to plant the seedlings/seeds in the main field, as per present farming practices in Tamilnadu and/or other states.

with best wishes , g.p.rao, farmer

:smiley:earest G.P.R sir

Yes you are right …The general practice is that people plant Drumstick in July - August and it comes to flowering in February -March in about 6-7 months after planting …It receives rainfall in both monsoon rain say South West and North east Monsoon and just before flowering the drumstick undergoes vernalization process ( passing through low temperature during winter between Mid of December to mid of February for about 2 months ) .This natural chilling process induce flowers .

The February -March planted drumstick comes to flowering in September-November in about 6-7 month .Here when the drumstick is due to flower , the reduction in temperature is also significantly low due to crossing of sun that goes south of Equator .However the atmospheric humidity that is more compared to July-August planted drumstick that comes to flowering in February- May when atmospheric humidity is low , cause flower dropping by 40 % and delayed pollination …

Because flowering in drumstick is purely temperature regulated …

Also our location is falling in semi arid tropical climate with annual average rainfall of around 650 mm with total rainy days of around 45 days …

so based on the prevailing weather , we can manipulate drumstick to induce flowers through appropriate pruning and PGR treatment that may convert vegetative growth into flowering branches …

More important I am designing planting schedule with specific reference to our field location forgetting about general cultivation schedule in other areas …

Our plan is to grow drumstick through out the year through staggered planting …

Brinjal recovered after recent hail storm …fed with Alcohol @ 750 ml per application earlier …so for produced around 5 kgs of fruits per plant …We are preparing the brinjal plants to produce another 5 kgs per plant atleast

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Good sir. Alcohal means ordinary rectified spirit or any particular. can it be given in ventury, if so at what intervels. will it works only for brinjal crop or for other crops also. pl explain its uses.

What is PGR treatment in moringa. can we have it in detail sir.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dearest G.P.R sir

Alcohol in Agriculture always means Ethyl alcohol ( Ethanol )that we human being and Horse and pig drink . There is no limit in the quantity applied to brinjal .Usual application method is sprinkling diluted alcohol over the soil around the root zone …But in our case we have done plastic mulching that hinder sort of this method.So we fed alcohol via ventury system …Actually this method is prohibitive in terms of cost of inputs and application .However the result is so impressive that the increased yield and production offset the cost of Alcohol…

Actually I got this idea from few farmers when I was working in Vietnam in 1999 where farmers used to apply partly fermented mollasses , a byproduct of sugar mill. They never applied chemical fertilizers yet the brinjal kept yielding well with profuse flowering . I actually tried mollasses here but could not get it . The mollasses treatment is far better than Alcohol treatment in terms of cheap price and quantity. The main reason is that the partially fermented mollasses is also having alcohol as a fermented product of glucose that is very good source of food for soil bacteria that multiply fast in soil …

PGR is Plant growth Regulator - Promoter when it enhance plant growth ,Ex. Gibberelin , cytokinenin and Auxin all being hormone that promotes plant growth - Another is Plant growth Retardant ( PGR ) -that arrest / slow the growth in plants - Ex.Abscissic Acid ( ABA ) being a naturally occurring retardant in plant system and synthetic version is triazole compound like paclobutrazol , uniconazole that hinders growth by reducing or preventing growth promoting hormone …

Once the vegetative growth is slowed , the reproductive phase sets in - like flowering and fruit formation -

If morniga produces more foliage without or least flowers , I will apply paclobutrazol ( Cultar- that is used in mango for flower induction -) at significantly lower concentration as foliar spray .

in depth knowledge. very systematic approach. awesome planning. hats off.
r seshaadri, tumkur.

Thank you sir…

Dear Ramu sir,

Please take us one more step ahead in educating about the dosage of gibberellic acid. Most of the literatures suggest 200 to 300 PPM of gibberellic acid to promote female flowers. If I purchase 5 grams of gibberellic acid (I assume 90% purity) from the shop, how much quantity of water should be added to prepare the solution of say 250 PPM? Kindly educate us to fish.

Thanks & Regards
Guru

Hi RAMU sir

Thank you very much for your detail explanations,

I have two questions

one is Can we apply this alchohol solution to Chilli capsicum???

Other question is I am planning to cultivate Murunga in one acre… it is hard to find good quality seeds in Sri Lanka, is there any place you know that they can ship this PMK1 seed variety to Sri Lanka??

Thank you very much
Duminda

Great …I think you need mixing ratio …

For getting 1 PPM of gibberlic acid solution , you need to mix /dissolve 1 mg in 1 lit water …for getting 250 PPM you need to mix 250 mg in 1 lit water…

or 2.5 grams in 10 lit water …

To make it easy to understand , please follow the formula that explain how to calculate the quantity of water required to prepare specific PPM solution

To get 250 PPM solution of gibberelic acid …Divide 1000 by required PPM ie, 1000/250 = 4 lit water

That is if you mix 1 grams gibberelic acid in 4 lit water , you will get 250 PPM solution

For getting 50 PPM gibberelllic acid solution , divide 1000/ 50=20 lit water ( 1 gram in 20 lit water gives you 50 PPM solution …

For 5 grams , you need 5*4 lit =20 lit water

@RAMU sir,

Crystal clear. Thanks a lot.
I am sure I can fish now :slight_smile: . Wish I’d be your student on-field instead of on-line! Nevertheless, I’m happy.

Best Regards
Guru