BRINJAL IN PRECISION FARMING EARNED Rs.5.16 LAC FROM AN ACRE IN A YEAR

Dear Ramu Sir,

Is it right that redgram has to be planted by second week of july or can i sow them in august too if so could you suggest any variety.

Regards,

In rainfed condition always go for short duration variety t is around 120-130 days duration …Normally redgram in market is of long duration crop with life of 150-180 days …

The short duration variety comes to flowering in about 75-80 days and complete flowering in 90 days and maturity in next one month time say 120 days when redgram is ready for harvest …
The moisture is needed when sowing is done - 2-3 rainfall and just about the time of flowering say 75-80 days .so in 3-4 rainfall , the crop will be able to produce yield .SO you synchronize your sowing accordingly

Dear Ramu Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice help much appreciated will update with pictures and cost of cultivation for our future farmers to come.once again i thank you wholeheartedly for your great valuable advice given to farmers.

Regards,
Sriram.

Dear friend

Wish you all the best . Try short duration red gram variety …

Suppose if you could not get short duration red gram variety , just let me know

I will get you seeds for just one acre only - 8 kgs

Variety Co-Rg-7 a short duration variety with duration of 120 days

One special attribute of this variety is that you can also grow second crops ( Ratoon crops ) from the stubbles of previous crop after harvest …

You can get this seed only if you could not buy any short duration red gram variety in your area…

Since this red gram variety is rarely available , you can raise this red red gram variety for seed purpose and sell it to other farmers

In irrigated condition , sure this short duration red gram will give you not less than 800 kgs per acre .If you cultivate pucca , even this crop will give you 1 MT yield per acre

However under rainfed condition , you can harvest 500-600 kgs per acre …

The seed crop will fetch you around Rs. one lac in 4 month time time

Regards

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Great service to our forum farmer friends , which is well appreciable , by all of us. hope this posting will find you in cheerfu moods.

I am much inspiring , along with others, with your postings on several issues.

hope, we can get your valuable write ups, suggestions for ever, when ever you find time.

with best wishes to you, g.p.rao, farmer

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

we are so inspired and I personally wants to grow one crop of Red Gram , under your advices , in Precision farming with drip. our land is having good water facility. Red Loomy soil with normal ph 6.9 and EC of bore well water is 0.52 ds/m

Can you please send a write up or post a write up for Red Gram crop farming, in precision/ SRI farming. We assure sir, that we will follow and bring good results.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dearest Sri.G.P.Rao sir

Really you are lucky that the seeds of Red gram ( Turdhal ) short duration variety Co-Rg-7 was sent to your address through professional courier today .I am attaching the voucher for your reference …May be your good self will receive the seeds on Monday

As you have asked me about write up for red gram cultivation in drip irrigation , I am posting the same here .

CROP - RED GRAM

VARIETY - CO-Rg-7

DURATION - SHORT DURATION -120 DAYS

50% flowering - 70-90 days after flowering

100 % flowering - 90-100 days after sowing

Maturity / Harvest - 120 -130 days after sowing

SRI ( SYSTEM REDGRAM INTENSIFICATION ) METHOD OF CULTIVATION IN REDGRAM

Seeds are sown in a polybag of convenient size

Seed required per acre in SRI system - 3 kgs / 8 kgs in convensional sowing -broadcasting

Seed treatment - 100 grams rhizobium bio fertilizers and 100 grams phosbobacteria bio fertilizers are dissolved in 200 ml Rice gruel ( used cool solution )

The seeds are placed into this biofertilizers and mixed well until all the seeds are coated completely …

The polybags sowing of seeds - native soil taken out from where we intend to grow this redgram is mixed well with single super phosphate

Approximately - 1500 kgs of soil

Super phosphate- 5-7 kgs

Well decomposed farmyard manure - 50-70 kgs

Fill the polythene bags each with 200-250 grams of above soil mixture and then sow 1-2 seeds per polybag based ont the quality of seeds used .If good quality seeds sow one seed.If poor quality sow 2 seeds per bag

Then water all the bags to set the seeds well into the soil medium in the bags .

The seedlings will be ready in next 30-40 days

Plow the field free of weed and use chisel plow to break sub soil hardlayer in case of red soil

PLANT GEOMETRY

Row to row distance - 3.0 to 3.5 feet

Plant to plant spacing - 2.5 feet

Plant population per acre - 5925 - 5079 plants per acre

FERTILIZERS

Nitrogen - 10 kgs ( Urea - 21.7 or 22 kgs )

Phosphorus- 20 kgs ( Super phosphate - 125 kgs )

Potash - 10 kgs ( Muriate of potash -Kcl- 17 kgs )

Gypsum - 25 kgs -50 kgs depending upon the soil type .If red soil you can apply even 100 kgs of gypsum …Because the red soil is acidic with PH below 7 like 5.4 to 6.5
that generally has insufficient calcium and magnesium .When gypsum is applied it makes the soil fertile without affecting PH of the soil

Zinc sulphate - 5 kgs per acre

Or you can use

5 kgs of Urea and 43 kgs of Diammonium phosphate -DAP and 17 kgs of Muriate of potash

Because the red rgam respond well to DAP fertilizers

Critical period in red gram is flowering and pod setting that is around 70-90 days

so you can plan your fertilizer schedule accodingly

The fertigations schedule starts in about 10 days after transplanting

Between 10 to 20 days after transplanting apply entire 5 kgs of urea and about 50 % of DAP - 23 kgs

and the remaining DAP 20 kgs are applied from 40-50 days after tranplanting when the plants are in flowering stage

In addition to the above , you can spray 2% DAP solution at 10 % flowering stage ,say 45-50 days and next spray after 15 days of the first spray

In case of fertigation , urea is water soluble

DAP can be soaked in water over night and the filtered solution may be used in drip irrigation

Muriate of potash can also be used in fertigation using appropriate filter ( If you soil is basic with more PH or subsoil careousness in noticed - more calcium carbonate - you can used potasium sulphate in lieu of Muriate of potash that is potassium chloride in chemical nature

In case of micro nutrient like Zinc , you can used chelate form of zinc that works best in drip irrigation.If no possible, you can apply zinc sulphate in fertigation

PRUNING / PICHING OF TERMINAL GROWTH

The red gram grows to a height of 120-130 centimeter

in about 30-40 days after transplanting , pinch off the terminal growing point ( growing point of central stem ) to about 10 cms below the growing tip .

This will produce lot of side branches that produce more flowers and pods

If you pinch off the growing point by 30 days after transplanting , it will produce side branches for next one month until the plant start producing flowers and pods

A single plant will produce about 150-175 grams of seeds

The single plant will produce 450-500 pods

Regards

Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Thank you very much for obliging my request and sending 8 kgs of Red Gram seed of CO-RG-7 seed.

I will also thankful to you for the detailed write up on Red Gram farming information, specially in SRI system. If Any doubts , i will get them clarified , from you sir.

Just let me know, if we soak and grow the seeds in Trays , instead of poly covers, good and bads.

Also pl inform me the discharge capacity of in built drippers, 2 ltrs/4 ltrs per hour capacity, which is best and what duration to be allowed and water requirement per plant ( red loomy soils and water will not stagnate ) , and any bed system is good or not.

My intention is to get good possible results ,under your guidance. Thank you once again. On receipt I will let you know.

[quote=g.p.rao]
Dear Dr Ramu sir,

Thank you very much for obliging my request and sending 8 kgs of Red Gram seed of CO-RG-7 seed.

I will also thankful to you for the detailed write up on Red Gram farming information, specially in SRI system. If Any doubts , i will get them clarified , from you sir.

Just let me know, if we soak and grow the seeds in Trays , instead of poly covers, good and bads.

Also pl inform me the discharge capacity of in built drippers, 2 ltrs/4 ltrs per hour capacity, which is best and what duration to be allowed and water requirement per plant ( red loomy soils and water will not stagnate ) , and any bed system is good or not.

My intention is to get good possible results ,under your guidance. Thank you once again. On receipt I will let you know.

[/quote

Dear G.P.Rao sir
Really you are very keen about execution of technology in a right way

You can soak redgram seeds in water for 12 hours in day time and keep it overnight in a wet cotton cloth before sowing seeds in a portray that carries holes of 3.5 cms dia …

Regarding emitter capacity please choose 2 lit per hour capacity

Reason

Red soil generally is lownin clay and organic matter content …
so 4 lit per hour emitter capacity ,due to higher discharge rate will leach the nutrient beyond root zone during fertigation

Second ,redgram is a root nodulating crop .Any excess moisture will affect root nodulation and death of rhizobium bacteria living in the nodules …

The red gram or any pulse crop perform well in minimum soil moisture that is the reason why red gram or other pulse crop is cultivated in rainfed condition

Broad bed planting is best especially in low rainfall area where the bed itself act as a soil mat and soil mulch that hold more rain water and also assist root proliferation

Regarding running time of drip system , for first 2 weeks ,run drip for 1/2 hour a day unless no rainfall

Next 2 weeks ,drip is run for 45 min a day , 30 min in the morning and 15 min by 3.0 pm

For 5 n 6 the week 1.5 hour , morning half an hour and evening one hour

7 th and 8 th week ,daily 2 hour , morning one hour and evening 1 hour

9 n 10 th week ,one hour a day

If you Sow seeds in portray ,the seedlings will be ready for planting in August end or September first week,

October will be rainy month for you and again part of the November

These 4 months will receive rainfall from north east monsoon and temperature will be also lower around 28-30 degree Celsius day time temperature and 18-22 degree Celsius minimum night temperature …so soil moisture loss due to evapotranspiration will be less during these four month time requiring less than 2 lit water a day per plant

By November last week you can allow ratoon crop from first harvest that last from December to march 2017 where the redgram pass through summer and need more water say 2 hours running time per day @ 2 lit per hour discharge rate
However you can judge crop condition before fixing drip running time
During fertigatin , first 15 minutes run the drip , and give fertigation ( fertilizer injection ) for next 30- 35 min and flush the drip for last 10- 15 minutes .
Stock solution @ 1:5 ratio …1 kg fert is dissolved in 5 lit water …This 5 lit solution is again dissolved in 45 lit water and injected to the irrigation water and dispensed in 30 min time …

All the best sir

Hello Ramu Sir,

I’m having this problem of root rot for my bottle gourd saplings and marigold. I sprayed corocarb 50WP, even then i still pants dying of the root rot.

Can you please look at this pics and suggest any solution to prevent future loss.

By the way,tomatoes started coming, there are growing well. But staking is taking a while to do. but will finish it this week.

Thanks,
Rakesh

[quote=rakesht6]
Hello Ramu Sir,

I’m having this problem of root rot for my bottle gourd saplings and marigold. I sprayed corocarb 50WP, even then i still pants dying of the root rot.

Can you please look at this pics and suggest any solution to prevent future loss.

By the way,tomatoes started coming, there are growing well. But staking is taking a while to do. but will finish it this week.

Thanks,
Rakesh

For controlling root rot , apply any one of the following

1.Bordeaux mixture 1% solution soil drenching

2.Copper oxy chloride -0.3 %

3.Metalxyl + Mancozeb 0.2%

Regards

Thank You Ramu Sir, Can you please look at the attached pics and help me what could be the pest on the Marigold

Thanks,
Rakesh

Hi Mr.Rakesh
Marigold is infested with Thrips sucking pest …
Spray imidochloprid 17.8 SL @ 0.4 ml in 1 lit water between 7-8 AM in the morning
Or methyl demeton @2 mlbin 1 lit water
Regards

Thank you Ramu Sir, will do it tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Thank you very much

Rakesh

Ramu sir,

can i spray imidochloprid 17.8 SL for thrips on tomato.
I see few of the plants are getting infected.

Hi Mr.Rakesh

Yes you can use imidachloprid for tomato also . I found Alternaia leaf blight disease in your tomato. SO you combine imidachloprid @ 0.5 ml and mancozeb @ 2 g in one lit water

You need 125 lit spray fluid for half acre tomato

For 125 lit spray fluid / water , you need 62.5 ml imidachloprid and 250 grams mancozeb and 62.5 ml teepol ( a sticking agent to keep the spray fluid hold on to the leaf surface )

Thank you Ramu Sir, Ill do the spraying right away. Really appreciate all your help.

Thank You,
Rakesh

okay friend…Repeat it once more in next 7-9 days

Dear Mr. Ramu,

As you have given the detailed Fertigation schedule based on plant growth stage, is it possible to provide some guidance on the potential pest / disease attacks during different growing stages and suggest preventive spray schedule to minimize the problems?

If it is not possible, could you please list of pest & disease and symptoms (either write-up of if picture is available, it will be great) and recommended treatment (i.e. sprays)?

All your postings are invaluable for new comers interested in learning.

Cheers

Venkatesan

Dear Mr.Venkatesh

Please refer any one of the book titled " Economic entomology " or "Topical pest and disease "

Regards