BRINJAL IN PRECISION FARMING EARNED Rs.5.16 LAC FROM AN ACRE IN A YEAR

The precision farming in brinjal in the farmer Mr.Gajendiran 's field earned 5.16 lac rupees per acre in a year . The field was drip irrigated in a 4 ’ broad bed in double row planting system … the brinjal yielded continuously for 8 months with annual yield of 86 MT and sold @ Rs.6 per kg .Basal application of organic manures and bio fertilizers and water soluble fertilizers given at weekly interval made the brinjal crop flowers continuously …

3 Likes

Havent you tried for Zero Budget natural Farming for Brinjal ?? Is it possible to get same amount of yield through zero budget farming ??

1 Like

[quote=AshishL]
Havent you tried for Zero Budget natural Farming for Brinjal ?? Is it possible to get same amount of yield through zero budget farming ??
[/quote

Dear friend
If you have tried ZBNF please post your experience here with pictures if possible …we were doing ZBNF 30 years back in our own land in a village in madurai. but we used native brinjal seeds and cow dung and crop rotation with leguminous plants. Even we did not plough land for 2 years .But regarding consumption point ,
The ZBNF gave solid fruits with very good taste , aroma and flavor and keeping quality .The fruits remained solid for 3 more days at stretch and when cooked it flashed nice aroma and flavor when eaten . Also kept flowering continuously .
On negative side , it did not give uniform size fruits …After first 3.5 months the fruits size and shape varied significantly vis -a-vis yield .

In my experience to practice ZBNF the prevailing climate and environment should be conducive to support this kind of farming…Of course very favorable climate existed some 30 years back but certainly not now .

you climatic change , ever increasing atmospheric temperature , erratic rainfall pattern, water deficit , decreasing under ground water table , destroyal of natural water bodies like lake, ponds, creeks , canal and channel , invention and use of hybrid seeds , mono cropping , eclipse of community farming ,absence of diversified farming all made practise of ZBNF a difficult one …

But here in precision farming , they use hybrid seeds of high yielding potential brinjal variety , Raise nursery in protray which produce healthy disease free uniform seedlings , use both organic and inorganic fertilizers and manures, bio fertilizers, trap crop to naturally control pest , more importantly water soluble fertilizers administered through fertigation system at weekly interval , growth promoters …

So it kept flowering through out year . The pesticide is sprayed only on ETL ( ECONOMIC THRESHOLD LEVEL ) but IPM method is used - integrated pest management like use of pheromone trap , neem based pest control , panchagavya , pseudomonas and t.viride and catch crop and trap crop …

The main consideration here is high yield say 100 MT per acre per year and intensive cultivation …obtaining uniform size fruits of marketable quality , pest and disease free …

I appreciate your interest in ZBNF that is definitely a superior method of cultivation in terms of health and consumption point of view …but getting high yield of uniform size is bit difficult …However I like your good self to post your experience here about ZBNF with step by step activities over entire growing season along with picture…

1 Like

Hi I am looking for a partner to cultivate papaya near hyderabad.if interested call me at my mobile

vijaya bhaskar

Thank You For your reply.

Your reply reflects your study and expertise in Agriculture. I am from Maharashtra. To tell you truth I am an engineer with Zero knowledge and experience in Agriculture. But still strong will to do something new led me to enter into farming.

Today without any experienc i am setting up a polyhouse in area 2700 Sq Mtr. and along i am searching and studying new trends in agriculture techniques… i read lot about ZBNF so was keen to know about its results on cash crops like vegetables. Its effect on quality,yield …

Since you posted about Precision Farming technique so i thought you might have idea about ZBNF so wanted to know your opinion.
As an expriment i m doing terrace garden. i have just planted chilly,tomato,brinjal,capsicum plants each 5 to 8 in plastic bag. I prepared JIVAMRUT by mixing Desi Cow Dung,Urine,Jaggery,Soil and besan. i will see effect of giving this natural input to the plants…but i will surely do some expriments in farmland by adopting ZBNF…Though i dnt own farm ,i have taken farm on lease for setting up Polyhouse.Similar way i will take farm on rent and will go for farming…

1 Like

[quote=vijayabhaskar]
Hi I am looking for a partner to cultivate papaya near hyderabad.if interested call me at my mobile

vijaya bhaskar

Hi Vijaya Bhaskar

Instead of looking for papaya partner , why dont you float an agriculture based company…Better ask for the willingness of interested members to join the team…Based on the size of the membership and the estimated amount , do buy cheap land to an extent of 50 to 100 acres .Appoint technical committee and board of directors to run the business …The technical committee will discuss and implement technical aspect of cultivation …The business committee will look after marketing of farm produce …

Gradually the business can operate in national and international level if when undertaken efficiently and effectively…The since the capital will be shared by so many number of members , liability will be less.

In my opinion this is a real challenge to show how to take up agriculture in a commercial business line on par with other industries.

1 Like

No problem Mr.Asish you can do your own way but pay heed to following aspect while undertaking your experiment

1.Quality seeds of high yielding crop varieties and season
2.Water
3.Nutrition
4.Pest and disease
5.weeds
6.Timely operation of cultivation practices
7.If you follow particular technology do know the success stories and the way the particular technology is executed and the principle and concept behind adopting the technology in terms of its yielding and income generating point of view …

May be you will be inventing new farming technology during your cultivation experiment

All the best

Sure i will remember your points.

Can you please tell me what Precision Farming actually is ?? What difference does it make to get high yiel ??

Dearest friend

The term Precision farming itself is self explanatory …That means " do everything precisely " in cultivation of crops for highest yield with best quality …

The land is varying in fertility status …so all the plants grown in a field are not bearing uniform yield and size and quality …when fertilizer is applied , only 20 to 25 % of the nutrients are used by plants. rest go waster either through leaching, volatalization , soil fixation etc…so water soluble fertilizers are applied to the crop through drip cum fertigation and application of fertilizer nutrients are spread over through out growing season and the rate and quanity applied varies according to need and requirment of crop through various stages of growth and development …In this way fertilizer nutrient loss is avoided and made use of efficicently and effectively …The plants grow uniformly with good fruit size and and color with marketable quality…Likewise it follows suit in regard to pest and disease control etc…right from land preparation till harvest and post harvest handling of farm produce…In foreign countries they use satelite technology for precision farming …

Due to time factor I stop with this…

1 Like

I am Abhishek from rajastha Kota. i also want to do high yield farming also if u have suggest me hydroponic farming and nutrients

1 Like

Dont worry friend…Do carry on …Pockets of rajesthan is very good for hi tech farming provided you have continuous water supply …WHen I participated in an International trade fair at pragathi maidan , new delhi , i came across officials working in Rajasthan department of Horticulture and agriculture …They also had shown result oriented project with excellent result…You can do with all success in your project…

Hi,

I have around 15 acres with drip irrigation facility in Chidambaram Area in Tamilnadu.

I plan to cultivate vegetables in 3-5 acres immediately. I require the following seedlings/ saplings immediately for direct planting. I don’t have time for creation of my own nursery because, if I start making nursery prepare my seedlings, I will loose the season.
Can anyone suggest where I could get seedlings, saplings ready for direction plantation.

I require good (or hybrid) varity of:

1. Brinjal (500)
  2. Chilly (1000)
  3. Tomato (500)
  4. Any other vegetable sapling good for wet cauvery delta region.

I can collect the sapling anywhere from Tamilnadu or Pondy or Bangalore area.

Regards,

S. Balamurugan
sbala2k1@yahoo.com

Hello Ashish,

Kindly share your ZBNF experience. I am really fascinated by the ZBNF techniques invented by Shri. Subhash Palekar.
I am engineer working in Mumbai and fed with fast paced life here. I am very keen to get into farming.

REGARDS,
Satish Sonavane.

Hello Ramu Sir,

Need your help on fertigation schedule.
I’m Planting Tomato, Brinjal and Chillies in acre land
Can you please provide the fertigation schedule for these crops.

Thanks,
Rakesh

Dear friend …sure I will post you the fertigation schedule for all these crops …But before that please inform what was applied in basal soil application with items of the fertilizers and manure and its exact quantity .It will enable me to work out the need of the crops from fertigation …

I will post on Monday since I am on urgent outside work for next two days

Ramu Sir,

The land is about 0.75acre. I gave 40 kgs neem cake, 50 kgs SSP, 6 tns FYM in last plough.

I’m planning tomato, chilli, brinjal in 0.25 acre each.

Thanks,
Rakesh.

TOMATO HYBRID
Fertilizers recommendation
80:100:100 kgs of nitrogen,phosphorus, potash
fertilizers choice - urea,single super phosphate, water soluble fertilizers like19:19:19 ,12:61:0 and 13:0:45
Area of tomato planned for cultivation =0.25 Ac
so the quantity of above fertilizers …
0.25* 80 kgs of N = 20 kgs
0.25 * of 100 kgs P= 25 kgs
0.25 * 100 kgs of K= 25 kgs
Basal dose of single super phosphate applied = 50 kgs
Nutrient percentage of P in super phosphate is 16 %
so 50 kgs of super phosphate contains - 50 * 0.16 = 8.0 kgs of phosphate nutrients
So balance phsporus to be applied = 25 kgs - 8.0 kgs = 17 kgs
now nutrients required for 0.25 acre of tomato - 20:17 :25 kgs
Percentage of nutrients required at various growth period of tomato
Establishment phase ( from transplanting - next 10 days )
19-19-19 -6.6 kgs
13-0-45 - 2.3 kgs
Urea - 1.0 kgs
FLOWER INITIATION TO FLOWERING STAGE ( 30 DAYS )
12-60-0 - 8.2 kgs
13-0-45 - 22.25 kgs
Urea - 12.8 kgs
FLOWERING TO FRUIT SET ( 30 DAYS )
19-19-19 - 6.6 kgs
13-0-45 - 13.4 kgs
UREA - 10.0 kgs
HARVEST STAGE ( from 75 -80 days onward )
12-61-0 -2.0 Kgs
13-0-45 -11.20 Kgs
UREA - 5.0 kgs

TOTAL
19-19-19 - 13.2 kgs
12-61-0 - 10.2 kgs
13-0-45 - 49.15 kgs
UREA - 28.8 kgs
Total Nitrogen supplied -23.28
19-19-19 = 13.2 kgs *19% N=2.508 kgs
12-61-0 = 10.2 kgs * 12% N= 1.224 kgs
13-0-45 = 49.15 kgs * 13.0%N = 6.300 kgs
Urea = 28.8 kgs * 46% N = 13.248 kgs
Total phosporus supplied (8.73 kgs + 8 kgs as basal application ) = 16.73 kgs
19-19-19 - 13.2 kg *19% P = 2.508 kgs
12-61-0 - 10.2 kgs *61% = 6.222 kgs
13-0-45 - 49.15 kgs * 0% P =0.000 kgs
Total Potassium supplied = 24.625
19-19-19- - 13.2 kgs 19 K = 2.508 kgs
12-61-0 -10.2 kgs * 0.0% K = 0.000 kgs
13-0-45 - 49.15 kgs *45% K = 22.118 kgs

Total Nutrients required Vs supplied
20:25:25 kgs NPK recommended
23.28 : 16.73 : 24.625 kgs NPK
Shortage of 8.17 kgs of phosphorus in term of supper phosphate 52 kgs ( 51.687 ) needs to be applied in soil as basal dose …If you could not apply this superphosphate for various reason , Please you spray 12-61-0 as foliar application @ 10 grams in 1 lit water for about 3 times at 15, 30 and 40 th days after transplanting
How ever the super phosphate needs to be soil applied before planting .Soil application only will have real effect than foliar application in Tomato …
The Water soluble fertilizers should be prepared into stock solution in the ratio of 1:5 …I kg water soluble fertilizers : 5 liter water …
If you apply 3 kgs of water soluble fertilizers you need to mix it in 15 lit water that makes your stock solution
This stock solution can be mixed in another 100 lit water for drip application either through ventury or Fertilizer tank . The fertigation should run atleast for 30-40 minutees to ensure uniform application for all the plants in the field…
One more advise
The conventional synthetic fertilizers’s solubility and its availability is around 19-25 % only .It means if you apply 100 kgs of 20-20-0 complex fertilizers ,it has nutrients percentage of 20 kg nitrogen and 20 kg phosphorus …But the available nutrients out of this 20 kgs nitrogen ,only 5 kgs are available to the plant
Likewise the watersoluble fertilizers’s availability is estaimated to be around 50-60% only in the soil environment.
If you apply 10 kgs of 19-19-19 ,it has only 1.9 kgs of Nitogen, phosphorus and potash each .Out of this 1.9 kgs 1.14 kgs of nutrients are available to the plant .
Where as fertilizers recommendation as 200-250-250 NPK per hactare is just a blank recommendation for estimated yield of tomato say 40 MT …
So this concept does not fit everywhere and you need to judge actual nutrients requirement based on your soil condition , prevailing weather climate,special cultural practices like plastic mulch or organic mulching used , irrigation type , kind of tomato cultivated ( determinate or indeterminate , variety or hybrid or high yielding hybrid ) etc …
Ok Mr.Rakesh …this is a model I have given for your tomato, for other crops like chilli or something , you can follow this method how to work out the quantity of nutrients for every crop
Good luck …

1 Like

Ramu Sir,

Thank you very much. I’ve laid mulching sheet yesterday and holes are done. planning for transplantation on Wednesday.
Water resource is pretty good here. Also the land is black loamy soil. so water retention rate is good.
Will definitely follow the steps you mentioned for fertilizer dosage for brinjal and chilli too.
By the way I’m going US440 Hybrid for tomato.

Thanks,
Rakesh.

Great …Black soil is really fertile soil when properly managed ,wish you good luck …

Hello Ramu Sir,

I’m using a venturi in my drip and i’m irrigating once a week. Can i supply the fertilizers in a split dose of week and apply.
Also, since we are having rains, every few days, wanted to know if i can apply fertilizers through drip with same weekly schedule. I mean use drip until fertilizers are supplied and later stop it. Since rain water is enough for the plants for irrigation. Please advise.

Thanks,
Rakesh