BRINJAL IN PRECISION FARMING EARNED Rs.5.16 LAC FROM AN ACRE IN A YEAR

Dear Mr.Rakesh

Ventury is easy and convenient to operate . You said your soil is black loam that retain excess water when the irrigation water is added to rain water that will invite fungal and bacterial disease like root rot and bacterial wilt disease …so you can not run drip irrigation now …However based on soil moisture status , you can run the drip system for giving fertigation in short time say 30 minutes instead of 1 hour duration .

During rain the tomato needs little more nitrogen that can be given in excess of recommended dose .

The black soil area needs bed height of atleast 30 cms that will best drain the excess water in case of unusual rain .so pleae also check your beds with wooden pole

Just press a wooden dagger to about 20 cms deep inside the soil layer and pull out and see if the soil is sticking in clumps around the dagger .If heavy clumps are noticed you stop irrigation and schedule it sometime later .If the dagger is clear of heavy soil clumps ,you can give fertigation

Instad of fertigation , you can even give foliar spray with 19-19-19+Mn @ 5 grams in one lit water

Regards

1 Like

Ramu Sir,

this may sound stupid, but please correct if i’m wrong. For fertigation, we are giving kgs of fertilizers, whereas when we’re using foliar spray the dosage is quite less comparatively. Correct me if i’m missing something.

And also do i need to spray this after 10 days after transplantation. As per the fertigation schedule, the first dose is between 7-10 days of transplantation.

And also, just to let you know, i transplanted tomatoes yesterday.it drizzled yesterday and it rained today. So i guess fertigation is out of the equation for now. because we had a good rain, and i don’t think we need to irrigate for another 10 days.

Pardon me for asking too many questions, its just that i’m trying vegetables first time.

Dear Mr.Rakesh

It is okay …No problem in helping people like you .

Seems cyclone is building up in bay of Bengal near by Andhra .

Immediate concern is to protect your tomato that is liable to casualty in excess soil moisture in black soil .

Dissolve 5 kgs of DAP fertilizers and 600 grams of copper oxy chloride in 200 lit water , mix it thoroughly and wait for 1/2 hour and then pour this mixture @ 50 to 75 ml per plant manually .

See that this solution does not touch the leaves .It needs to be poured on the roots only

The Diammonium phosphate is to give ammoniacal nitrogen and phosphorus to the tomato seedlings that eats these two more in the early growth stage and later it needs nitrate form of nitrogen that will be supplemented through water soluble fertilizers like 19-19-19 and 13-0-45 through fertigation.

The copper oxy chloride will prevent bacterial rot and root rot in early stage of tomato growth …

Regarding foliar spray 0.05 % dose is equal to 5 kgs of soil application.

For example , for 25 cents of tomato you may need 2 tanks of spray 10 lit each .For 20 lit water @ 0.05% you need 100 grams of 19-19-19 water soluble fertilizers …where as in soil application you may need 1 kgs of 19-19-19 WSF… foliar spray is entirely used by the plants .Where as soil application needs 1 kg 19-19-19 WSF, out of which only 40 -50 % will be available to the plant. But the nutrient use efficiency is better in foliar spray…

You can start your fertigation schedule after rain is over .But see that you need to give extra nitrogen to the tomato after rain .So schedule your fertigation in such a way that you add 10% more nitrogen than recommended dose through urea that is water soluble .

And also keep in mind that tomato needs more nitrogen and phosphorus in early stage of growth .If you observe tomato roots , it is having more root volume with innumerable white feeder roots . All that need more phosphorus and also enough calcium .It is the reason why we recommend more super phosphate as basal application in soil before planting …

The nutrient requirement will be in the following ratio

Establish stage 0-10 days after planting - 10 % of recommended dose of nutrients

Vegetative phase - 11- 40 days ( more branches and leaves production ) - 40 % of recommended nutrients

Flowering and fruit setting - 40-70 days - 30 % of recommended dose of nutrients

Harvest - starts from 72 to 80 days - 20 % of the recommended dose of nutrients …

Depending on the growth and yielding pattern , you can continue the level of nutrients given in the harvest stage …

Regards

1 Like

Dear Ramu Sir and other members of this forum and this discussion topic,
I have been following this form and mostly all posts by Ramu sir, I would like thanks Ramu sir’s effort and the interest to convey his knowledge to all forum members to educate them on different topics. The way Ramu Sir describes every thing is really good. We ppl understands things if its derived by numbers and formulas. And Ramu sirs all post is related to that only.
Coming to the topic, I have gone through the “fertilizer recommendations “ posted by Ramu sir. I very clearly could get how science and mathematical calculation can be used in agriculture. After going through this post I have spent some time to prepare a excel sheet with different calculations which I could understand from Ramu Sir’s post (I could be wrong somewhere in my sheet). I am attaching the same sheet in my post.
In this sheet the any one can just enter the field area which they want to cultivate, rest every thig will be calculated automatically.
I have one doubt which Ramu sir can clarify or he can change that number in the sheet if required, i.e.
“Fertilizers required at different stages” where he has mentioned required quantity of 19-19-19, 13-0-45, 12-61-0, Urea for each stage, here my question is,

1. How he has arrived to that number of quantity
  2. IS there any base value of quantity which can be used for calculation
  3. Any thing else you want to be considered in this sheet

Ramu sir has mentioned the quantity for .25 acers, I have calculated the same by multiplying by 4 to get the quantity for 1 Acer and I have used that as a base number for calculation. To be very honest I got all the points except this section, since I couldn’t get the logic of this required quantity of N-P-K at different stages. I hope Ramu sir will definitely throw some light on this.
The attached sheet is just a initial draft version which can be fine tuned more based on other paramaters which are involved in fertigation schedule. Same type of sheet can be used for different crops as well. I think it will become a very good master sheet for all which will help farmers to plan their fertigation activity. Once this master sheet is finalized then we can work on another sheet which can be used to record fertilizer application data, and based on both master and transaction sheet record real fertigation data and based on that it will show the real status for proper planning.
I request all of you to go through the sheet and let me know your comments. Ramu sir I request your comments and inputs to make this sheet more usefull.
Thanks and regards,
Sushil
Fertilizer Schedule-As per Mr. Ramu’s post.xlsx (18.5 KB)

Dearest friend sri.Acharya
I really thank you for taking much effort in formating nutrients requirement in excell sheet .And I request you not to put a suffix like sir. You can directly call me by name.
You have raised a good question about how the nutrients are calculated for crops .I feel it is right here to explain why and how …

1. Suppose if a particular tomato variety produce 27 MT of fruits per acre in a season
    one metric tonnes of fruits require about 2.5 - 3.0 kgs of Nitrogen , 0.2 -0.3 kgs of phosphorus and 3.0 to 3.5 kgs of potash
    For about 27 MT of fruit yield we need to give 67.5 - 81 kgs of Nitrogen , 5.4 - 8.1 kgs of phosphorus and 81-94.5 kgs of potash .
    These nutrients are not just used for fruit production alone but also for dry matter production like stems , leaves and roots of which phosphorus is a major building block .
    So the quantity of nutrients applied depends on the total expected yield potential as well as dry matter production…
    The quantity of the fertilizers for a specific crop is mainly decided based on
    1.What is the expected yield of fruits/Harvest ?
    2.What is the nature/ kind of crops cultivated -whether varieties or high yielding hybrids?
    3.What is the available nutrients in soil ?
    4.What is the gap between actual need and available quantity of the nutrients in the soil ?
    5.What is the prevailing condition in your location wrt soil type, weather and climate and irrigation water type ( quality of water ) ?

How the quantity of nutrietns are worked for different growth phase ?
The plant needs more nutrients from 10 days after planting to just about the time of ripening of fruits .
It is the reason why we have prescribed 10% of total nutrients requirement for the initial 10 days of establishment period and 40 % of total nutrients requirement from 11 th days to 40 days that is the time of floral primordia initiation in tomato though it is visible some time later at around 45 days and 30 % total nutrients requirement from 41 days to 70 days when the fruits are in ripening stage and last 20% of the total recommendation during harvest stage where excess application of nutrients reduce the available nutrients in fruits and deteriorate the quality of fruits …
Thus the recommendation of nutrients for particular crop is based on the crop removal ( quantity of nutrients that plant abosrb from soil ) for completing its life cycle through vegetative growth ( roots, shoots , leaves ) and reproduction ( flowers and fruits ) .
Hope this explanation will make your good self understand well about how nutrients like NPK are fixed for cultivated crops
Regards

1 Like

Sure Ramu Sir, will definitely apply DAP and copper oxy chloride tomorrow. and will let you know the progress.

@sushil_acharya : Thank you for making that excel sheet.Really appreciate the effort you put in to make it.

Ramu, thanks for your reply, will update the sheet based on your comment.
I have few more queries, will send you soon for your valuable comments.

Rakesh: Thanks for your appreciation, your are from Hydbad right, lets plan to catch up some time in HYD. I live near Kukatpally.

Regards,
Sushil

Dear Ramu,

Small clarification required, in your earlier post you had mentioned
"Fertilizers recommendation
80:100:100 kgs of nitrogen,phosphorus, potash " per acer.

In this post its
“one metric tonnes of fruits require about 2.5 - 3.0 kgs of Nitrogen , 0.2 -0.3 kgs of phosphorus and 3.0 to 3.5 kgs of potash
For about 27 MT of fruit yield we need to give 67.5 - 81 kgs of Nitrogen , 5.4 - 8.1 kgs of phosphorus and 81-94.5 kgs of potash”

Which one is correct, I think there is something wrong.
I have updated the fertilizer schedule sheet as per the information and calculation provided by you.

Now all can find the updated sheet with following information.

1. To calculate the fertilizer schedule enter Cultivation area in Acer, Crop-Hybrid and Expected Yield per Acer (MT), which are colored in Green
  2. Adder Nutrient Required/ MT in Kg as base parameter for calculation, which Ramu can change based on above required clarification
  3. added Nutrient Requirement during different stage of the crop base parameter as per Ramu’s suggestion

Guys as mentioned earlier I am trying to create a base structure for fertilizer schedule which can be used by all, hence request all to give your idea which can be considered, without making this sheet complicated. Ramu your comments and suggestion very important in this regard.

Sushil
Fertilizer Schedule-As per Mr. Ramu’s post-Part 2.xlsx (19.5 KB)

1 Like

Dearest Shri.Sushil
I appreciate your since intererst in building fertilizers schedule for the vegetables .Before that I want to explain few things for your understanding …
what I have given or Mr.Rakesh has pointed here as 80:100:100 kgs of NPK is a blanket recommendation for hybrid tomato considering yield limit as fixed
The 27 MT yield per acre as per my ealier reply is quoted just for an example.
The 2.5 -3.0 kgs of N, 0.2-0.3 kg of P and 3.0-3.5 kgs of potash required for the production of 1 MT of tomato fruit is that part of total applied nutrients and soil available nutrients that are absorbed by the plant and partitioned or retained in the fruits .It does not mean that all the available and applied nutrients are taken and stored in the fruits alone.
Please read my posting word by word that clearly explains how the absorbed nutrients are utilized by the plants for producing fruits and stems, leaves and roots ( Total dry matter production )
Just by multiplying factors like 2.5-3.0 kgs of N, 0.2 -0.3 kgs of P, 3.0 -3.5 kgs of K with total yield of tomato fruits for calculating ferilizer schedule does not sound sense here
When the plant start producing flowers and fruits , the nutrients like N,P& K are translocated from leaves to these flowers and fruits that is happening around 40-45 days after planting .
It is the very reason , pruning in tomato is done that divert all the nutrients directly to the limited number of leaves and fruits .Otherwise part of the nutrients will be locked in much of the foliage that are additional burden to the plant and wasted when falling down to the earth.
For example
Mr.Rakesh applied 6 MT of Farmyard manure .
Nutrient ratio in FYM being respectively 1.3-0.4-1.5 % of Nitrogen, phosphorus and potash
In 6 MT the estimated quantity of N - 78 kgs, of P-24 kgs, of K- 90 kgs
In addition to this the inherent soil fertility contains some amounts of N,P& K
So if you add these three sources like inherent soil nutrients, applied nutrients through synthetic fertilizers and farmyard manure , definitely the total nutrients available for the plants will be more than the mentioned ratio of 80:100:100 kgs of NPK …
Apart P &K , the form of nitrogen like NH3+ ( ammoniacal form) , NO3- ( nitrate form ) is required in various proportion during the various growth phase of plants in different soil type according to the prevailing soil condition in a particular field location .The NH3+ is required in smaller proportion in early stage and NO3- nitrogen is required in later part of growth stage from immediately before flower initiation in tomato…
For example in a clay soil that are mostly carrying negatively charged soil colloid particles it absorb positively charged NH+ ion that further increase acidity that hinders root growth …
Also this NPK alone is not a complete nutrients requirement for tomato production .Over and above this the toamto also needs calcium, magnesium and sulphur
Hence the soil type and nature of fertilizers applied also deternmine the available nutrients
One more example I give you here for your better understanding
180 kgs of Nitrogen/ hactare applied to brinjal through drip irrigation produced 17 kgs of brinjal per plant …where as 350 kgs of Nitrogen applied in furrow irrigated brinjal produced 12kgs of fruits per plant
It is the reason the technology plays bigger role in increasing nutrient use efficiency . What way you will relate quantity of nutrients applied and yield produced ?
The technology produced higher yield of 120 MT of fruit yield in brinjal with lesser amount of nutrients …
However for simple understanding we say the yield of crop determine quantity of nutrients needed to be applied .But it is a series of complex process involving multiple factors like type of crops, soil condition , prevailing weather , kind of fertilizers , technolgy adopted , cultivation methods etc …
All these conditions are not same everywhere across the country .Hence building common fertilizers schedule does not give uniform and good result for all the situations.
My dear friend Shri.Sushil ! , your report of nutrient schedule should be comprehensive and it should speak about all aspect of nutrients requirement of all the vegetables for specific situation . In my opinion it might take complete 3 months time to compile a complete record of nutrients schedule in case you are already conversant in the subject matter or 6 months to update all necessary data …
However you can keep the present schedule of fertilizers recommendation as general guideline …

Regards

1 Like

Dear Ramu,
Thanks for your response and detail explanation which is making me educated on this topic.
I understand by just making straight forward calculation using the N P K factors will not give the right numbers, however I strongly believe calculation is required for any planning and any calculation involved lot of variables and constants. As far as variables is concern they will be of different types which are basically depends upon lot of factors.

My idea is if we can list down major variables and their implication on the plan then I think we will be able to cover most of the points.
As we know planning and execution both are quite different, but at the same time proper planning is required for better execution. There are different points again gets involved in planning like the scope, estimation, time management, etc. etc. and we take that plan as base line for our execution.
Guys if you ppl think I am trying to give any gyan or trying to justify some thing then I am sorry :slight_smile:. I am just trying to convey that the activity which I am trying to do using the excel sheet is just a start and which I/ we have to keep on changing based on our experience or knowledge. As very correctly said by Ramu it will take around 6 months to update necessary data. If Ramu is saying 6 months then I think it may take more for me.
I am ready to update the sheet any time based on available information from you all ppl.

Ramu I was just thinking can we take possible variables with their standard or fixed value and start the calculation, for example
Some of the Variable list which came to my mind:
• Field size : 1 Acer
• Crop - Hybrid : Tomato – ABC
• Expected Yield : XX
• Irrigation type : Drip
• Soil Neutrien : N(X) – P(X) – K(X) I think which can be found out after soil testing I guss
• Cultivation method : XXXX
• Technology :

Other factor which is very important for the fertilizer schedule planning is the fixed parameters like availability of nutrient (%) in respective fertilizers and requirement of nutrient for a crop , etc.

If we can define the above variables and use available fixed parameters, then I think we should be able to calculate the required schedule which definitely will not be 100% but if that is 80% still I think that’s a good number for planning, and that will help us during execution.
I understand lot of thing may change based on different climatic conditions during the crop season, according to me that is part of our execution for which based on the situation and condition we have to plan at that point of time and do the needful.

Ramu with my limited knowledge of agriculture I am trying to put this thing in a sheet which will keep on evolving with your and others experience and ideas, but yes planning and managing any project concept wise same, but it requires subject matter experts like you who can provide required practical knowledge which can be considered during planning phase.

Ramu till now we have taken care of N-P-K only I am sure lot of micro nutrients and other type of fertilizers are also involved in the full cycle. It would be great if you can educate us on that as well. I hope I am demanding more :slight_smile:

Ramu and other members if you guys think this post is not of much use in this forum then please let me know I will not continue, at the same time if anyone like Ramu is interested to take this with me in off-line i.e. out of this forum discussion them I am open for that as well, whoever is interested can drop me a mail sushilacharya79 at gmail dot com .

Ramu I request you please don’t add such a big prefix “Sir” in front of my name :slight_smile: dont you think I have such a nice name Sushil :wink:

Regards,
Sushil

1 Like

Dear Mr.Sushil
I very well understand your point and of course you are righ about your idea that insist on numbers in planning and managing any project .Good…
Many experiements have been done with an aid of suitable statistical model that involved all the possible variables in the estimation of yield .
I list out the variables below ( Variables within a variable )
1.Seeds / Planting materials - selection of right kind of planting material that is having high potential to produce more yield …We understand lot of hybrid seeds are sold in the market but all are not equal in producing same or extraordinary yield .Even though we have other variables gotten perfect as required , if we fail to choose right seeds then the project certainly fails- Right age of seedlings for transplanting - quality of seedlings with vigour and robust health free from disease and pest or nutrient deficiency
2.Soil - different soil type like red soil ( red lateritic, red sandy, red sandy loam,etc.,) black soil and clayey soil ( clayey, clay loam, sandy clay etc…) Alluvial soil , Loamy soil ,sandy soil etc,These soils need different soil management practices to make it productive. They differ in soil fertility status and some inherent problem like fixation of nutrients in soil .In black soil - Aluminium and iron will fix phosphorus and make it non available to the plants - In clay soil where soil colloids are predominantly negatively charged absorb positively charged ammonium iron NH4+ and make soil acidic when applied with urea and also displace potasium ion K+ and calcium iron Ca+ that becomes unavailable to the plants -Also the quantity of silt fraction in total soil mineral decides productivity and yield of the crops cultivated in particular soil. This silt fraction is found highly variable even in the same soil type in various locations …
Also topography of soil and its slope .
3. Type of fertilizers used as plant nutrient sources - Kind of fertilizers, its solubility level in soil , its availability in terms of quanity and duration and its loss as soil fixation in case of Phosphorus and Potasium ,and micronutrients and secondary nutrients like calcium and magnesium and leaching and volatalization loss in case of nitrogen . Also nutrients imbalance due to microbial use of part of the nutrients available and applied.Soil bacteria when its population multiply fast in soil use and fix part of the available and applied nutrients thereby making it unavailable to the plants in need of it .And genuinity of fertilizer quality invite our attention.
4.Soil organic matter content - In sufficient soil organic matter in Indian soil that is estaimated to be around 0.5 % only in lieu of 5-7 % requirement of productive soil .Soil organic matter in requisite quantity makes soil productive .WHen enough soil organic matter is available in soil it condition the soil in such a way that most of the plant nutrients are available to the plants -Both major nutrients like NPK and secondary and micronutrients like calcium, magnesium , Zinc, Manganese , Iron, Boron, Copper and molybdenum that are available more in the form of chelates than as pure ionic form …
5.Irrigation water - Quality of irrigation water and quantity of irrigation water - Out of total water that plant absorb from soil only 1% is used by the plants and rest 99% is lost through transpiration .So we need to suply enough water in right time of crop requirement.Water decifict affect available plant nutrients and thereby growth and yield of crop is badly impacted .
6.Weather and climate - The plants grow best in the temperature around 24-27 degree celsius though different categories of plants produce yield in the temperature range between 12 -36 degree celsius with fluctuation in yield in accordance with the prevailing temperature in both extremity . Also the wind speed that makes crop dry and impact growth and yield when the wind speed exceeds 5-7 kilometers per hour. And total rainfal and number of effective rainy days in a year that might vary between 20-35 number of days in a year ( An effective rainfall is 25 mm rainfall in a single day ).Any rain fall below this limit is not useful to the plant. And also duration of sunshine and light intensity( photoperiod that plays a majore role in flowering and fruiting )
7.Pest and disease - Various pest and disease and its timely management .The occurence and outbreak of pest and diseases are generally coinciding with prevailing weather condition .
8.Method of cultivation - conventional or hitech methods
9.Technology used - Drip irrigation, mulching sheet , water soluble fertilizers, foliar spray, Hormone spray etc…
10.Agronomic practices and crop geometry - Understanding plant growth behaviour , providing appropriate planting distance between plants and planting rows , plant density in unit area of cultivation and time of sowing or planting
11.Time management - Doing every operation at appropriate time without deviation
12.Contingency measures to meet any unforeseen circumstances by suitable application of human intelligence as shown in the attached sketch

So the yield is
Y= a( X)+b(Y) +C
Y-Harvest /Yield
X - Fixed variable like seeds, fertilizers, irrigation water etc
Y -Fluctuating variable - weather and climate and labour, pest and disease
C-Contigency - Flood or drought , sudden outbreak of disease
a,b - constant

Regards

Dear Mr. Ramu,

Thanks for the detail explanation about all variables.
Now I can understand the factors involved in agriculture, now am very much confused and just thinking how I can accommodate all these variables in my sheet :wink:. I am very sure such type of factors cant be managed in a single sheet, they are very much localized factors which varies from place to place.

As you suggested we can have a base sheet only for idea condition and for reference only, based on the different factors involved in that particular field things can change and the sheet can be managed by individual. The sheet can be used for reference and to record the inputs in a farm so that it can provide all possible required information to a farmer.

Ramu garu, I need a small help, in my apartment balcony I am planing few cucumber, tomato, bitter gourd, chili and brinjal plants I got the seed from local market, they are not Hybrid the company name is Indosun. I did the seedling in a small tray by mixing Soil, FYM and vermi compost. Now I transplanted them to other container (Plastic beg, cement beg). Can u suggest me what type of fertilizer I can use for these plants? For such type of garden any fertilizer available in market which will have all required nutrients? I mean a single fertilizer which can be applied and available in small packs for balcony garden.
I am finding issue in germination as well with this seed, I would appreciate if you can suggest me some seed varieties and company which I can get from Hyderabad market for my balcony garden.

Regards,
Sushil

1 Like

Mr.Sushi

For Tomato and chilli you can buy seeds from Indo American like US611,US612 and cucumber and gourds you can get seeds from East West company , Brinjal from Mahyco , Bitter gourd -Abhishek is performing very well

Regards
Ramu

Dear Ramu,

Thanks for your reply I will keep on working on the sheet and let you know if I require any help for that.

For my apartment balcony, Let me share what I have done till now

Thanks for the suggested seeds, I hope they are available in Kitchen garden pack as well???

1. Got soil (Red soil) and FYM from a nearby gosala
  2. Got Vermi compost from market
  3. Got plastic rice begs to grow plant
  4. Using plastic cups for seedling
  5. Got seeds from market - Seed company Indosun ( Non hybrid) (Tomato, cucumber, chilli, bitter gourd, Beans, amaranthus )
  6. Got Neem oil (Azadirachtin 0.03% E.C 300 PPM), shop keeper suggested to add 5 ml in 500 ml water and spray once in 15 days

Preparation

1. Mixed 50:40:10 soil, FYM and sand and prepared the medium
  2. Using the same mixture and vermi compost 50:50 for seedling
  3. Using paper cup for seedling
  4. Transplanting the plants to plastic rice begs
  5. applying kitchen vegetable waste to the plants and tea leaves

Problem

1. Seed germination is very bad, only cucumber, chili and amaranthus seeds got germinated
  2. after fed days amaranthus plants died
  3. Beans, tomato and better gourd didn’t germinate (I have seeded them again)
  4. Chili and cucumber plats are not growing as expected

Suggestion required

1. Ramu thanks for sharing the fertilizer details, but for this type bolcony garden where I dont have more plants is there any fertilizer available in market which i can directly dissolve in water and apply to the plants? any fertilizer pack which is ready to use and available in small packs as well.
  2. If you think such type of fertilizer packs are not available then what you suggest for around 12 to 15 plant bags.

Ramu I got a private message from you, while replying to your message I got a message that your inbox is full, please look in to that as well :wink:

Regards,
Sushil

Dear Mr.Sushil

Okay …
For sowing seeds in paper bags , it is enough if you add just cocopeat only. No other mixture is required . The Vegetable seeds sprout in about 5-6 days after sowing and it starts taking nutrients from outside source only when it produce true leaves that is happening between 10 - 15 days after sowing .Until then the sprouted seeds use reserve food present in the seed itself .Unique creation of Almighty .If you want to add anything , you can just put biofertilizers and biopesticide to the cocopeat…Nothing else . After 10 days when the seedlings starts producing true leaves , you can mix 5-10 grams of 19-19-19 water soluble fertilizers in 1 lit water and same can be applied to paper cups …

You can buy 19-19-19 Water soluble fertilizer that is available in 1 kg pocket container in the market . I don’t think other best nutrient source than this .You can use this pocket for many application in 5-7 split dose …

Regarding neem oil you can use @ 5 ml in 1 lit water , not in 500 lit water …The neem oil can be mixed even upto 50 ml in 1 lit water depending on the concentration of active principle in the product . The neem oil does multiple function like anti feeding agent for insect pest, and work against disease and enhance growth of plants …

And its concentration of neem oil should be maintained @ 100 PPM while spraying during blooming as over dose cause abortion of female flowers in any plants

For balcony do always go for vertical veggie garden that is most beautiful , aesthetic and productive also …For this you can use used water bottle , the bottom of which is cut off and around 5-10 such dressed water bottle is arranged vertically in a nylon net and can be hung down from roof ceiling …

Regards

Regards

Hi Ramu,

Thanks for your reply and for fertilizer recommendation.

" you can mix 5-10 grams of 19-19-19 water soluble fertilizers in 1 lit water and same can be applied to paper cups …" : In what frequency I need to apply the fertilizer mix and how much in the paper cups?

I hope the same fertilizer mix ( 5-10 grams of 19-19-19 water soluble fertilizers in 1 lit water ) can be applied after transplantation? in that case what will be the frequency and quantity needs to be applied per plant bag at different phase of the plant growth?

As you suggested I have planned for vertical garden in by balcony, I have already collected soda and cold drink bottles and painted them with leftover paints :slight_smile: to make the bottles opaque.

I have every thing ready but but since seeds didnt germinate hence bit upset. will do one more round of seedling process.

Coming to the vertical design which you have sent to me, I have gone through few posts with the same idea, but dont you think irrigation will be an issue, 2nd bottle will get water once the first bottle soil is fully wet similarly the 4 th bottle will get water once all 3 bottles are wet.

REgards,
Sushil

[quote=sushil_acharya]
Hi Ramu,

Thanks for your reply and for fertilizer recommendation.

" you can mix 5-10 grams of 19-19-19 water soluble fertilizers in 1 lit water and same can be applied to paper cups …" : In what frequency I need to apply the fertilizer mix and how much in the paper cups?

I hope the same fertilizer mix ( 5-10 grams of 19-19-19 water soluble fertilizers in 1 lit water ) can be applied after transplantation? in that case what will be the frequency and quantity needs to be applied per plant bag at different phase of the plant growth?

Dear Mr.Sushil
19-19-19 -NPK Water soluble fertilizers
5 grams in 1 lit water @ 7 days interval for about a month
15 grams in 1 lit water @ 4 days interval for next one month
10 grams in one lit water @ 5-6 days interval subsequently
You may need 2 lit water for a vertical garden containing 7-10 container each filled with 200 grams of cocopeat
Nutrients for first one month @ 4 split dose at 7 days interval @ 5 grams ( Lit of water ) for 8 lit water is 40 grams
Next one month duration - 8 split dose @15 grams/ lit of water - For 16 lit water you need (16*15 grams )= 240 grams water soluble fertilizers
For next one month ( 3rd month of planting ) -@ 6 split dose @10 grams / lit water for 12 lit water , you need 120 grams of fertilizers
So for the first three months your fertilizer need is 40+240+120 = 400 grams 19-19-19 NPK water soluble fertilizer .
This 400 grams all 19 WSF contains - 76 grams each N,P &K …
This fertilizer is enough to produce around 12-15 kgs of fruits per plant …
Regarding wetting of growing media in all the container, there is no problem since it is cocopat that is stuffed in the container that allow free flow of water from top down .
You can paint the container in black color that is most favorable for root growth …
For the paper cup seedlings and grow bag veggie plants
You can dissolve 5 grams WSF in 1 lit water and applied at the end of 2nd week and 3rd week after sowing …
For grow bag veggie , you might maintain around 2 kgs of soil per container .At this rate
single plant needs 3 g of WSF @ 7 days cycle .For a month you may need 12 g of WSF per plant
For 2nd month ,you need 10 g @ 5 days cycle , you need 60 grams of WSF
For subsequent month @ 5 g @ 3 days cyle , you need 50 grams WSF per plant
So single plant needs 122 grams WSF for first three months
For about 10 plants in grow bag you need -1.22 kgs of WSF ( 19-19-19 )
Regards

Thanks a lot Ramu garu for this this detail information.
I will follow, the same schedule and keep you updated. My next target is to get good seeds.
This weekend I will get them. Do you suggest any non-hybrid seed? if yes then please suggest some varieties.

Regards,
Sushil

Hello Ramu Sir,

Tomatoes saplings started picking up growth. And rains have also been pretty consistent this year, though a lot of wind.
I’m going with foliar spray as fertigation is not possible now. Wanted to ask you something, Most of the WSF are recommending 0.5-1% concentration (5gms-10gms per litre water). Just wanted to know how i can calculate WSF quantity to match the fertilizer dosage that we calculated for fertigation. like "from flower initiation to flowering of 30 days " recommended 13:0:45 dosage is 22 kgs. How can i calculate what amount of WSF is equivalent to this.

Please help

Thanks,
Rakesh