Borewell - Common Problems & Solutions Guide

Dear Yash D Shah sir, From past 35 years, i am in agricultural activities. Till now, each will say defarently on ground water. some says, it is a stream in the soil, some says ,it is reservoir in the soil, some says it is in the gaps of the rocks,some says it is a river, etc and more says ,it is god given and our luck.

No doubt, it may be a luck, but i want to know from experts like you, what is the correct source, and how they recharge,which is correct etc. I am a lay farmer as far as bore well water is concerned, can you inform all of us, that what is bore well water and how many types. Some bore wells give good water for considerable time and suddenly water less. what to do.

Pl explain us and all our forum farmers can be educated on bore wells. please help us in general.

Bore well success at 200 ft, 300 ft even at 1200 ft or more. which water is good for yield and quality.

hope,will get a detailed, valuable write up from you. g.p.rao ,farmer

Hello team,

Kindly help with regards to problem with our borewell.

Usage= Agriculture
Total depth of bore= 540 feet
Water touched at depth = 420 feet
Casing depth = 20 feet
Stone started at depth = 10 feet
Pump model= CRI binda 7.5 hp 12 stage
Pipe used = hdpe
Pipe lowered till depth= 500 feet

Problem
We have dug the bore last month and installed the pymp just 3 days back.

We have tested the pump on the day it was installed by running it for almost 4 hours and we haven’t noticed any decrease in pressure nor gaps.
But today, just after 2 days afer the install the pump ran fine for an hour and after that it started giving trouble. The water runs for 5 mins and stops, and after 15 to 20 mins it runs for 5 mins again.

There is a amp meter and volt meter installed along with the starter assembly hsnce I checked the amp meter and didnt notice any power fluctuations, also volt meter was showing greater than 400.

Im worried if we have consumed all the water till 500 ft height till wich we have lowered the pump. Do we have to consider lowering the pump still or wait and watch.

Kindly advise as to how can I find the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Harish

Dear Harish,

Your issue is more of yield vs pumping mismatch.

The bore yield seems very poor. The reason why it ran for 4 odd hrs continuously was because of the already accumulated water in the well. But once this was depleted, there is no enough water thats getting accumulated and since the pumping rate is higher than the yield you face this issue.

Unless you have a dry run preventer you would damage the motor running like this.

Few things I suggest you;

First and foremost is try replacing with a lower discharge pump (May be a 5Hp) or

At 2" the delivery point take a tee junction and bypass 1/2" or 3/4" back to the well in the existing setup

Both the above may or may not completely resolve the issue but I assure you betterment.

And I strongly recommend having a rain water harvesting/percolation/well recharge pit near the bore-well. And implement water conservation technologies where ever possible and be prudent in the way the water is utilized.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

P.S: You have only 40ft cushion now, I recommend not to go beyond your current depth of 500ft unless you are going to deepen your well more deep I suggest you refrain from this idea.

Hello Team,

I have dig borewell 3 months back, at 70ft water was found and we dig till 416ft and water was coming till that point. Diameter is of 6’.
I have installed 3hp submersible pump and was able to fetch water after starting pump for around 2 hrs.

though water was not fetched frequently as I had not started with plantation, but from last 4 days I having issue with fetching water.
motor runs hardly for 5 mins and stops as it goes dry.

can you help identifying possible issue, has the borewell went dry or could be problem with pump or fittings ?

Please help.

Regards,
Abhijeet.

Dear Abhijeet,

You have dug til 416ft, but at what depth is the 3hp pump lowered to?

I suspect yield to be an issue here or the water table has gone down.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Hi Saravana Kumar,

Thanks for your reply.

We have installed pump at around 350ft depth.

Even we suspect yield to be have gone down, but it is surprising as we had dig bore well in June i.e. before Rainny season and at that time we started getting water right from 70ft while digging well. So now after rainy season there should be plenty of water (that is what we were expecting). But things are opposite.
we have heard from other villagers that other people who just got wet mud while boring are now getting plenty of water in their well :slight_smile:

Can you please suggest what possible options should I try to confirm that water table has gone down and there are not any other issues.

Please Help.

Regards,
Abhijeet.

Dear Abhjeet,

I suggest the following;

• Take out your pump
  • Check for damages/leaks along the piping & across fittings
  • Check if the motor shaft is ok & bearings have not worn out
  • Before lowering the pump again, check for the water level (a simple rope & stone drop will give you a fair idea)
  • Lower the pump till 400ft (Check with pump supplier or data sheet to see if the pump is rated to be operated at 400ft)

Please post results upon doing the above.

If the issue still persists,

• Hire someone nearby who can do V-Notch Wier Test to estimate yield of the well
  • Consider options for drilling the well further down
  • Flush your borewell
  • Have a bypass tee junction & have 1/2" or 1/4" backflow to the well

Its advisable to have RWH pit near the borewell as it helps to conserve water.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Thanks a lot Saravana Kumar.

As suggested I will try those options and update.

Regards,
Abhijeet.

Hello Saravana Kumar,

As suggested I took out pump to check any damages and leaks in Pipe. Everything was good.
I did insert Pump in the Storage tank and ran it for some time to check for any issues.

Water level has gone down, I did insert pump and after 24 hrs started it to check how much water is coming, we got only one bucket water.
This concludes that yield is too low.

Please suggest what should be done ?

Digging another Borewell will be costly, hence trying to check if all possible things to save this.

Regards,
Abhijeet.

Dear Sir,

While Google search about my borewell problem i came to know about this site and found really useful, thank you all the team member’s for such a hard work in running this show.

Borewell Description :-

Borewell depth : 245 Feet
Casing pipe : 195 Feet (6 Inches Diameter)
Motor PUMP : CRI, 5HP, 8 Stage
Water touched at depth = 45 feet
Pipe used = HDPE, 2 Inches
Pipe lowered till depth= 120 feet

I am facing a problem in my borewell which was drill approx 70 days before. We have got the stone at 195 feet where we set the Casing pipe, the whole 195 feet we have not found any stone etc. its all yellow soil which was coming during the drill.

Pump installed just 11 days back after we got the electric connection.

First, during pump installation pump stopped at 135 feet and did not go down further, so we set that at 120 feet and started the pump. It started with a lot of yellow mud type silt for approx 25 min and than pump runs like on off, it runs for 1 min and than again stop. we runs the pump for 7-8 days in this manner and slowly and slowly it starts giving clear water, during these 7-8 days we have received all yellow muddy water with some sandy water.

Just yesterday we again tried to lower the pump by 30 extra feet and we succeeded. Initially it yield again yellow muddy water with some stone particles for approx 20 min. and than yield become again low. Now pump gives water like 1 min and than stops for a min than again start water for a min than again stops. A loud breathing sound also coming through the Borewell. I checked the amp meter and it show 10 amp when full water is coming and 5 amp when water yield reduces. there is no Voltage fluctuation monitored.

Kindly advise me what i do now to get continuous water supply from Borewell. I am very new to farming, just a year ago started this activity leaving my JOB of 12 year service. If Possible plz explain the problem and solution in easy language as i am not much aware of borewells technology and terminology commonly used.

If i need to flush my borewell is it good to use low tech light weight machinery like in kalix system ?

Ramesh kumar
Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh

Dear Sri Ramesh Kumar,

I hope, mostly your casing pipe was not set properly in to the Rock hole. It seems it was not properly sit in to the Rock hole . It was the mistake of the Rig persons. I opine that the casing pipe was sit on the Rock only or little above even. That is the reason , while sucking water by the sub mergile pump, soil/sand/mud is coming through the gap.

When the casing pipe not seated properly, in suction through the gap between casing pipe bottom and the Rock surface, the above will happen.

Now, you insist the Rig operator to lift the casing pipe and fixed it in to the casing pipe , and flush the bore well properly. Then up to my knowledge, your bore well will be fit and runs nicely.

If the Rig management accept and do it properly and rectify the problem , it is OK. If not you tell him and file suit in your lokayucth court and the Rig Mgmt will be summoned them and justice will be done suitably.

Hope things go well to you.

With best wishes, g.p.Rao, farmer

Hello,

Welcome to the forum Ramesh.

Initially while reading the post, the first thought was, I beleived its the motor thats getting stuck and was about to recommend you to clean the well by compressor.

But,

A stuck motor will overload and you are sure to read more than the rated FLC of 10Amps.

If the reading shows 10A, then the motor is running at its full load, and if it shows 5A its running at low load because of no/limited water.

Warning sign is only when the readings reads beyond 11 odd amps.

This is a clear case of low yield in well.

Either;

A)Lower the capacity of the pump. May be a 3hp
B)Bypass a small quantum of the existing discharge back to the well

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Thank you G. P. Rao Saheb and Shravan Kumar

Sir,

Here is update in my borewell Situation, which i would like to share with you and seeking guidance

Yesterday Borewell runs for almost 22 Hrs. Continuously at full capacity (I don’t know how but Pump picked the water) once or twice AMP meter showed below 10 Amp in this period.

During the whole period Mud and tiny stone particles was coming with water, when i saw 11 AMP reading on Amp meter i turned off the Pump. as before when i queried about my problem with few people locally they said that your borewell is damaged below and CASING pipe having GAP and some said that mud, sand and tiny rock particles are coming because borewell is not flushed properly by the rigger.

I contacted with the PUMP supplier regarding this and supplier said if this situation carried longer than your PUMP also got damaged or it may stuck in borewell, including permanent damage of borewell.

Now i am really scared, kindly suggest me why this is happening and solution.

With regards
Ramesh Kumar

Dear Sri Rameshkumar,

This is one of the mistake, which is done by so many Rig operators. Once the solid pure stone starts, they will cut the stone to considerable depth and they will remove the drill bit out and then insert the casing pipe till and in to the cut stone/Rock totally. Then the casing pipe gets seated in the stone and there will not be any problem to the bore well, in future.

But , while seating the casing pipe , due to some problem ( may be due to wrong alignment ), the casing pipe bottom will not go inside the stone/Rock cut portion , and it will be seated with little gap and , further rigging will be done by them. This will be noticed by the experienced farmers , as water comes heavily/slightly from the out sides of the casing pipe, while in the drilling process it self… Though the Rig operators notice this, they don’t rectify as they have to take out the drilling pipes again, for which no money will come to them. This creates problem to the bore well owning farmer, after fixing the submersible pump installed and while pumping, by sucking the mud/soil from the gap between casing pipe and Rock/stone.

Now you pl call a rig owner, negotiate with him and get one Rig again . they do the needful and your casing pipe will be properly seated in its correct position till the cut portion of the Rock/Stone. They will rectify it and if any cut is required do it, and get the bore well flushed. If required drill further depth.

With best wishes, g.p.Rao, farmer

Thank you all,

Negotiation with rig operator failed and they only agreed to do flushing which they did 3 days back.

after flushing we again run the pump and it gives water at full capavity for 2 days, we never gets the clear water during this period.

after runming 2 days now situation is more worse as we getting water for 5 sec and than gap of a minute than again 5 sec water.

i dont want clear water from this bore well as i have other arrangement for drinking water, what i need is water for this bore for agricultural purpose only so if water is not drinkable its fine for me, is any method i can get continuous water from this borewell?

as negotiation with rig operator failed i am filing case against the operator but as i paid him cash and no solid proof is available i dont have high hopes.

l contacted few other operators as well but they are not keen to rework on other operators fault, so now i am on dead end. as a last resort i am trying to use pebble method as some says put some pebble into bore may solve your problem, if this will not help what other options i have? pls suggest or straight forward i go gor fresh borewell?

please bear me for mistakes if any above as i am on phone after losing my laptop in train :frowning:

hello everyone,

need advice on using hdpe pipe for 360 feet depth will be using 5hp v6 texmo or any suggestion on pumpset in hyderabad thank you. is it safe to use hdpe few people have advice me to use g.i pipes but they are very expensive.need advice very confusing specially when money is tight lol. :wink:

best regards,
sriram.

Hi Sriram,

For your requirement either go for high density high pressure rated HDPE hose or UPVC. Price of these two would be almost the same but UPVC would offer longer life when compared to HDPE.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Today I was trying to took a borewell in my farm but at around 56 feet borewell contractor told me that borewell catched air so that debris produced by drilling is not coming out so that it’s of no use to drill further and your borewell will not work?
Is it true?? Should I ask him to drill further??
Whether this idea will work, please reply me as soon as possible I am so confused to make a decision

1 Like

Here in UP, Allahabad, the boring of a bore well requires to go to 120 feets in earth, and for general hand-pipe it require only 80 feets, why this show and what should be the standard boring feet to go for a borewell?

Borewell drilling Training needed
Hello
I am coming to India this summer to get hands on borewell training. Any help please. I am willing to pay for the training and even willing to work for free on a borewell rig.
If anyone knows a place that offers training, please write to me on:
Hassan
hassan.nuratlive.co.uk