Which plant is this?

Can you help identify name of this plant. Its leaves are sour in taste (somewhat like tamarind leaves) and are used to prepare chutney.

This is Gongura, Hibiscus sabdariffa, the chutney of which is a famed part of Andhra diet. Also used in a variety of curries, especially non vegetarian.

Fantastic. Thanks for the reply. Didn’t expect such a quick response.

this plant is also called “Andra Maatha” (mother of andhra)

BRREDDY
Kavali

Traditionally people in Kerala used this leaves instead of tamarind for cooking meat. Specially fish. People from Tamil Nadu also use this herb. It is also found in other parts of the world and it is also cultivated.

I eat this leaf when ever I notice while grazing cows. It is good for digestion.

still some people in my locality use this leaf decoction for almost all types of eye disorders including minor cuts and bruises inside the eyes. This works wonders.

Most 5 stars hotels use this to cook fish and meat.

It has a very attractive yellow flower with black spot in the center.

Amazing. Thanks Anoop!

it is h. subdariffa. in tamil it is called pulicha keerai meaning saltish green.

It is Callaed “GONGURA” A famous Leafy Vegetable in Andhra.With this Curries/Chutneys/Pickles/Can be used as Supplement to Tamarind because of its sour in taste and Tamarind being Health Hazard.Powder of this Leaves can be used as supplement for Tamarind.It is also Called as Mother for Andhra People.Most important thing is it is GOOD Blood Supplement and best for curative remedy for Anaemia (Less Blood i.e. lesser rate of Haemoglobin values can be cured very easily in natural way without any side effects.) Pl. go through the values of Haemoglobin in Healthy Body.

General Healthy Hematocrit & Hemoglobin Values
Female Male
Hemoglobin 12.3 - 15.3 g/dL 14.0 - 17.4 g/dL
Hematocrit 36.0 - 45.0% 41.5 - 50.4%

Thank you all. My wife had picked up its seeds sometime back from some place and we planted them in June in the rooftop bed having little idea about it except that it’s made into a chutney. It grew rapidly. Made the chutney today for the first time and all liked it. Good to know it’s so popular down south and has such health benefits.