As you know India imports pulses. Imports are around 3-4 mt every year, while our production is about 18-19 mt.
India has been the net importer of pulses since 1970’s.
Here are some problems of Indian pulses sector:
1. MSP is announced in pulses, but no procurement. Hence market prices are often lower than MSP.
2. Importing peas from Canada is cheaper. Though the price farmer receives is less, but retail prices are very high.
3. Pulses require processing. Hence farmer has to depend on mills. No direct marketing possible.
4. Pulses are grown on rainfed marginal lands. Yield is poor.
5. Should there be any encouragement (Say subsidy) as pulses improve soil health by N fixation?
In your opinion, what measures can govt take to improve pulses economy?