Water Pumping for Agriculture, The Solar Way

Dear Friends,

I would like to hear your opinions about the Power Availability specifically in your region, so that i can learn where we can serve the farmers in india with our solar water pumping systems.

Our Company, Bati Energy want to Empower Farmers with Solar Water pumpiing solutions,
any ideas, comments, are welcome…

i am specifically interested in learning about power availability and water pumping scenario in the readers locations…

please provide your inputs,

Thank you very much for the contribution .

Regards
Bati

In Karnataka and Tamilnadu, we have power shortage.

We get 3phase powersupply 4 hours during normal days, 2-3 hours during load shedding days.

In general power requirement is 6-7 hrs a day. In my opinion requirement is not your issue, it is the cost. Most of the farmers cannot afford. Farmers are waiting MNRE to announce subsidy everywhere. Now only selected districts(un-developed) of India has this scheme.

Dear Sri Sir.

for irrigation through drip, how many litter water estimated to reach each plant? Since TN average power availability is 3 hours would like to calculate how much water can be pumped to over head tank within this 3 hours. so after pumping in to overhead same can be used to irrigate without power.

tks/rgds
rajan

The discussion is, do farmers need solar or not.

The point you highlighted is also carries weightage, lets discuss it in another thread. We will restrict this thread for solar.

Sir,

Well noted. Can we have cost of such solar facility to find out whether viable or not?

tks/rgds
rajan mathew

Dear Sri,

The need for solar, as you put it “whether farmers need solar or not”:

Solar as such is considered as an option just like DG at present, strictly because of the availability of free power.

Just for a discussion, a 5hp motor when run for an hr consumes roughly 3.75 units and when run for 5 hrs consumes 18.75 units.

So ideally for next 25 years, @ 5 hrs run time a day, total consumed power is 1,71,094 units of power,

Question is;

With depleted natural resources for power generation, how long for any Govt to find it viable to offer free power?

Even if power is charged @ Rs.5/unit that too without considering annual cost of escalation, 1,71,094 * 5 would’it it be costly?

Cost is a very generic term, it will depend on against which its being compared to.

I have mentioned in my other posts, and am doing it again,

Solar is viable if;

A)Getting a power connection is costly/not possible
B)If there is a erratic grid supply
C)We care for mother Earth and believe in reducing carbon footprint

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Dear Rajan,

You need estimate to lift water from your source to tank in 3 hrs?

Let me know;

A)Your water source, if its borewell or openwell
B)If bore well, bore details like dia,total depth, water table
C)Distance between the water source and over head tank (Horizontal + Vertical)
D)Storage capacity is liters of the over head tank

Do let me know the above details and I shall offer you a estimate.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Sir,

Thanks for the assistance. Have 2 bore wells, with dept of 250feet. Irrigation needed for 20 acre land. Present no over head tank and need to erect. Land is east to west with medium slop. Overhead tank can be errected at the starting point of slop which is at one end.

Also have one open well without water, so may be just used as storage.

tks/rgds
rajan mathew

Dear Rajan,

If this is the case, why construct a overhead tank at all in the first place.

What I would recommend is have 2 motors in 2 borewells, fill this water in the openwell, and have a openwell motor pump water to your drip lines.

If this setup is agreeable, I would need;

A)Distance between the 2 borewells
B)Distance between each borewell to openwell
C)Distance between openwell to drip main input/ drip filter unit
D)Pressure head required for your drip lines
E)Total water required/day for drip irrigation

Also, would appreciate if you start a new thread regarding the requirement and as Sri pointed out lets limit this to Solar or viability of solar (as this thread would develop to)

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Sir,

Oh ! is it possible without over head tank. I have considered overhead tank due to electricity shortage.

A)Distance between the 2 borewells " 50 meter
B)Distance between each borewell to openwell ? 125 meter
C)Distance between openwell to drip main input/ drip filter unit - Pending to be done
D)Pressure head required for your drip lines : pending to be done
E)Total water required/day for drip irrigation : need to calculate

Only have bore well and open well with motor. Rest every thing to be do with planning and am in planning and costing stage. The cost of facility would help to refine what crop to be done. Basically targeting, partial coconut farm, diary, lemon, mango and goose berry.

will do trial for banana and vegetable but doubt due to proximity to forest/wild animal like bores. also being close to western ghat have good wind. so banana is in question. due to its economy i have great desire to go for banana, will try a trial 1st.

so such typical how the solar would be economical ? How about maintenance part ?

tks/rgds
rajan

Oh yes trust me you could well avoid tank if you proper well.

Since you say you have motor in borewell and openwell, this can be retrofit to run on solar.

Please let me know the capacity in hp of your borewell motor’s & openwell motor that you already have, I could offer you a estimate accordingly.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

will be in touch with you. However can you pls quote for a 5 hp motor what will be the solar convetion cost?

Dear Rajan,

Have sent you a PM. Please check.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Dear Friends,
First of all, thank you everyone for your inputs.
The Solar Systems We Have installed, so far , was in the area where either there was no power available or power was available for only short period of time…

The Idea That Solar Is expensive , is true when you just look at the cost and not at the complete picture.
to look at the complete picture would be.
Point 1 : with no power or less power, how much are you Loosing in terms of Profit Made from the production of Various Crops in your land,
Point 2 : how much more you would be able to produce and sell and how much more money you would be able to make if you had no trouble with power availability via Solar or Via government supply?

in our study of farmers affected with power crisis, it is estimated that people without power or less power, lose any where between 4-8 Lacs per acre per year, depending on the type of Soil, and types of crops that can be produced in different climatic conditions.

lets say without power you loose 4 lacs, due to less productivity,
then assuming that per acre you need 5HP solar water pumping system,
you will be actually be making profit from 2nd year onwards, and you would have saved yourself from those losses…

this is the clear and complete picture.
if you look at Solar Solution as the Investment that can increase your productivity, and you can produce equal to or more than the cost of solar system within 2 years, than all 23 year plus is your totally free solar power and water pumping.

the prices for our systems are given here : www.batienergy.in/water
we do not use chinese systems, we use European / American Standards for power engineering.

you may please mail : energy@batienergy.in
we also have one amazing offer for you that will be more beneficial for all the farmers interested in adopting solar solutions.
you may also call +91 9825972730

Hi members
I just like to share my experience on Solar and power scenario in kanchipuram Dist tamilnadu.
having passion for agriculture I started developing a farm 65 km from chennai.
After inquiring with TNEB I was told getting agriculture power connection is not possible for the next 3 years.
Then I started inquiring about Solar power for pumping - the prices they are quoting are about Rs 1.1 lakh to 1.5 lakh per kW. I am not able to understand the reason ,when we plan for Mw scale plant it is working for 60 to 70 thousand per kW and in small scale it is 50 to 70% more . Then I have started assembling a 2kW on my own and it worked out Rs 1.1lakhs / kW (FEB 2014) I have used the best brand material.
I have used a submersible pump of 2hp at a depth of 200 feet. My water availability is only 4000 ltr /hr as per consultant report , I have no choice to go other than 2 hp.
My solar system starts around 7 30 am with 40% efficiency and reaches peak by 10 am and goes up to 3.30 pm in the peak pumping and works up to 5.30 pm with lower capacities. On average I get around 22000 to 25000 ltrs per day to my sump. Clouds have 5 to 10% role on the solar power out put.
I am pumping the water from sump to my drip system through a 5 hp Diesel pump.
My experience says

1. getting new power connection for agriculture is virtually impossible
  2. Solar subsidy etc are all big misleading statements
  3. Solar is a good alternative will be beneficial to farmers if they can get Rs 60000/kW (at par with mega project prices)-
  4. Solar powered pump is not sufficient for direct pumping in to drip system

I hope government will do some thing about the real available cost of solar pumps to farmers . Some new bold attempts to be made in this sector like wht they have done in micro irrigation systems .

Thanks for the details. Please elaborate on brands and how you set up the system. I am planning for 2kw solar power for my farm house.

Dear Sir,
I would like to clarify here, something that…

Solar photovoltaic prices are based on silicon prices, which is a commodity and it fluctuates according to international demand and supply scenarios…

it is not in the hand of one supplier or even a single country government to bring down international market prices…

secondly,
you are comparing 1kw and 1MW
as you know, 1MW is 1000KW

if the prices of 1 single unit of anything and 1000 units of the same thing would be same, the market would essentially die, there would be chaos and no balance as per demand supply mechanism.

it is impossible, for anyone to buy 1Liter Water bottle at the same price per litter as 1000 Liter tanks is supplied.,

i mean its rediculous to compare, price of single quantity of a thing or product and 1000s of units of the same thing…

other thing…

our systems are capable to produce water with more than enough presssure for drip irrigation…
the 7.5 HP output from 185 feet borewell, was throwing water from the output pipe upto the distance of 6-8 feet at 10am iin the morning…

you are right, subsidies are misleading things…

only those companies which can feed government pigs, with half of subsidy amount as bribes and use cheap chinese low tech solutions to gain more profit can access subsidies.

if you need any help on your solar water pumping systems,
do mail at energy@batienergy.in

Dear peskay,

It would be good for you to post as much design information with pics as you can (preferably as a separate thread). While we have some friendly suppliers here, there is bound to be a bunch of folks who would love a DIY job. Thanks.

@BatiEnergy
While no application may be impossible when the capacity is scaled up, could you throw some rough capacity and cost numbers into the mix so the discussion is more meaningful?

Hi,

Congrats on your first post and I must admit you have started a rave!!

And congrats again on your successful project, glad to know a DIY project running great.

Just like others, even I would love to see your setup, a youtube link? or may be pic’s here…

And oh yeah, i dont want to miss asking you this,

You have mentioned that you completed @ Rs.1.1L/Kw i.e 2.2 for the 2hp setup. Request you to elaborate what is all included in that? does it cover the cost of 2hp submersible motor & pump, 200ft piping, submersible cable or for that case precisely what 1.1l/kw includes, was it just solar panels?

Thanks for sharing your inputs,

Regards,

Saravana

PS: We do have solar systems directly pumping to drip lines, especially few of our esteemed customers who also happen to be farmnest members using our systems would vouch it.

Hi,

For water pumping systems, load is 3 phase and for farm house load is 1 phase.

Suggest you seek professional help unless you are qualified to DIY.

Regards,

Saravana