Water melon – a winter crop for summer market in india

Mr,Suresh
NOT ONLY YOU BUT MOST OF THE FARMERS WHO CARRIED THEIR PRODUCE TO MARKET HAVE BEEN FEELING THE SAME PAIN , FARMER LIFE IS HORRIBLE ,HE PLEDGES EVEN HS WIFE S MANGALSUTRA TO CONTINUE HIS FAMILY LIFE IN FARMING THAT IS HIS LIFE LINE INSPITE OF RISK DUE TO VAGARIES IN CLIMATE AND UNCERTAINITIES IN MARKET PRICE . IT IS THE MAJOR REASON WHY FARMERS CAN NOT BE SUED IN COURT OF LAW FOR NON PAYMENT OF CROP LOAN ,

THE ONLY SOLUTION TO AVOID RISK IN AGRICULTURE IS INTELLIGENT FARMIG ,TO PURSUE INTELLIGENT FARMING YOU NEED TO BE VERSATILE IN KNOWING ABOUT ALL THE FACTORS BOTH PRODUCTIONS AND MARKETING

I agree sir, the support system is not there…I had discussed with local agri, the guy who installed drip system and even spoken to merchant who sold kgs of kgs of fertilizer…none could help me to get a good broker/buyer…infact i have not got money for what I have sold now…I feel the eco system should evolve, the guys who are part of this whole chain should be connected well all the way to market…I’m sure the guy who sold Drip/fertilizer would have seen the profit, if farmers like me (I have alternate income) stop farming then folks like them will not be able to sell their product…in their own interest they should develop the eco system…just my 2 cents.

Today observation shows the early set fruits are developing in size and newly formed small fruits are seen at nodes 10, 12 and even 20 from the base of the plant …Plant produced lot of flowers …Fortunately the grower has been offered better price of Rs.12,000 per MT but his off take is phased at several consignment of small quantities say 2-3 MT . High price for watermelon is foreseen due to forecast of extreme hot weather in next few months

The entire 5 acre land is proposed to be cultivated in high tech method from June 2017 …2 acres have been planted with watermelon . The remaining 3 acres have been sown with cucumber . Expecting to harvest in May . so entire 5 acre lands would be ready for next phase of hi tech vegetable farming with drumstick as intercrop

seeds were bio primed before sowing

Dear Ramu,
Thanks for the post,Cucumber with watermelon is good Idea. If you start a separate tittle for cucumber & write all the details which you are adopting cultivation will help all other farmnest members & other farmers too.

Best wishes for next coming crop.

Best Regards,

Azhar2345

cucumber sprouted on 2nd day itself due to treatment in panchagavya …Also seeds were bio primed . Hence quick sprouting noticed

Dear Ramu,
Congratulation on cucumber sprouts . I hope further it will grow well.

Best Regards,

Azhar2345

On 66 th day after showing , today we noticed abundant female flowers ( small fruits ) that are more than our expectation .

Today cucumber plants started showing true leaves and weeder is used in the inter rows since first weeding in the plant rows is scheduled on 15 th day

We started giving CAN fertilizer to grow well developed fruits and convert all the new small fruits into market quality

Is anyone having trouble with watermelon plants dying when fruits start to come. I have this problem occurring with lot of my plants. The crop was good until flowering, but now right when fruits started sprouting they are dying. I’m not able to figure out what the problem is. Anyone faced similar issue. please let me know how you fixed it

Thanks
Rakesh

On 72 nd day after sowing first harvest of water melon was done …single fruit recorded 16 kg weight …But late set fruits are abundant and it lies below the vine as it grows in weight and size …anticipating to harvest our target yield

Etherel first round of spray was done on cucumber after weeding …since temperature is expected to shoot up alarmingly this summer , we applied bio inputs replacing 50% of chemical fertilizers

50% bio and 50 % WSF started showing significant changes in growth level in cucumber in about 36 hours

We celebrated the day of watermelon harvest

Dear Expert friends,

Regret to inform you that I lost yet an other watermelon crop to the mistake of ethrel Overdose, severe virus infestation, diseases & delayed harvesting time leading to sunburn. One more lesson learnt: It is better to amputate the limb that got a snake bite than being emotional and losing the entire body :-).
G P Rao sir on this forum had indeed advised to remove the crop much in advance but I hesitated with false hopes and as a result suffered losses.

I need advice on next crop & the timing on the same bed which has mulching paper which is quite intact. Spacing of the beds is 5x5 feet in 2 acres. Lots of weeds. Kindly share your valuable advice.

Thanks & Regards
Guru

Any advice friends on the above post?

Regards
Guru

27 th day after sowing , almost all the cucumber plant started to set flowers and fruits
This time we did not stake the plants ,.From JUNE onwards entire farm area undergoes hi tech cultivation with mulching and staking ,

The cucumber fruits mature fast and now it is 35 days from sowing

First harvest done on 45 th day with total 874 kgs of cucumber