Variety of papaya for marketing

Dear All,

Planning to plant Papaya in my farm
I am finding difficulty in identifying the variety of papaya when I see them in supermarkets or roadside in Bangalore

There are multiple varieties like much talked about Red lady(orangist yellow), Coorg Honey (Green with yellow patches)?. Can somebody thrown light on which varieties are getting marketted in Bangalore and in general

Thanks

[quote=seshuko]
Dear All,

Planning to plant Papaya in my farm
I am finding difficulty in identifying the variety of papaya when I see them in supermarkets or roadside in Bangalore

There are multiple varieties like much talked about Red lady(orangist yellow), Coorg Honey (Green with yellow patches)?. Can somebody thrown light on which varieties are getting marketted in Bangalore and in general[/quote]
Dear seshuko,
There are so many variety of papaya seeds are available in indian markets.we have to see mainly 3 things.one is high yielding capacity, the second is sweetness & aroma and third is keeping quality and fitness for transporting. upto my knowledge redlady papaya ,released by known you seed co, taiwan is having all the above characters and widely accepted and planted by many farmers of soth india,mainly a.p This variety gives very good yield,good fruit for transport and keeping quality,have good market acceptance. But main problem with this variety is very suceptable to virus.the best way is do organic farming and results in organic/natural farming is good upto my knowledge. gprao,farmer.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply g.p.rao
Is there no alternative and acceptable variety in the market? The problem is we have to import(or some company would do it for us) the seeds from Taiwan. This is less sustainable and gives less control to the farmer. Was looking for something local
Also is the life span of the Red lady is same as that of others. I heard red lady is just 1.5 years. So after every 1.5 years we have to procure seeds from Taiwan :frowning:

Thanks,

thats good if any of our memebers can through light on…indian local variety…with good taste and …good keeping…

Did anybody try Surya variety developed in Bangalore. Its weight per fruit is a less. But looks like the Red lady(pinkishness) ?

iihr.ernet.in/content/papaya-surya

hindu.com/seta/2006/10/12/st … 831600.htm

Please compare yeild. Looks like surya is less compared to redlady.
Here is some info on Papaya yeild. posted by our forum member Swami Sir.

farmnest.com/forum/new-trends-in … chievable/

Comments from Mr. G P Rao on Surya variety:

Please continue discussion on varieties here and on ripening on the linked thread, thanks.

Thanks Rao sir
Did anybody try Arka-Prabhat ? Its size is comparable to Red lady. Looking through the materials online it was mentioned somewhere that Prabhat was introduced to compete with Red lady by a Bangalore’s Horticulture university.

Thanks,
Seshuko

Check them. Red Lady grown by me was very good in taste, may be the cultivation practices to get more taste. Yes, taste of a product differs with cultivation practice. Natural farming will provide more tasty and healthy produce over all.

Dear sirs, Generally market traders likes papaya to be around 1.5 to2 kgs weight. Fruit should have good colour, good acceptance for taste, and keeping quality. In taditional and country varieties taste is good but they are very poor in colour,keeping quality and stiffness. Upto my knowledge , variety of papaya released in our universities/institutes are not having all the qualities, which are required to have in papaya ie; high yieldingness, sweet and aroma, keeping quality and market acceptance. But our indian variety are very resistant to disceases and pest especially very resistant for virus. Hence our farmers are preferingto cultivate the RED LADY variety of Known You seed co of taiwan. It is having high productivity, Very good keeping quality, very good taste and aroma and hence has good market acceptance. But mazor hurdle is this RED LADY variety papaya is very suceptable to virusses and also more pest and disceases compare to our indian varieties. There is variety named SURYA ,i think released by IIHR is having very good characters like high yielding,sweet and good flavour and good keeping quality that market need but unfortunately its size, size of fruit is very less ,weighing only ie; 400 gms to 700 gms, and this variety is not encouraged by market traders. The SURYA fruit is having very good acceptance in the houses and consumers. I want to suggest our farmer friends who wants cultivate papaya fruits, Go cultivate preferably Red Lady and if not SURYA, but if cultivating RED LADY prefer to cultivate only organically/Natural farming way as this system can reduce much problems of virusses and pests. Pl use maximum pancha gavya ,once in 15 days and jeevamrutha, once in a week. These are my observations while doing the papaya crop i followed and it is my my opinion only. thanking you,farmer,g.p.rao

Thanks Rao sir
Does anybody know where is Binny mill market in Bangalore ?
Here are the current rates of papaya :
indicat.com/Market-Rates/Com … tes/Papaya

Hi all,
I’m sorry to side track, but where are the red lady fruits available in Bangalore? I’m not able to see them with the gaadi-walas or in the super markets either. I’m wary of Papaya ever since monsanto gave a free license to T.N. for its GM papayas. I don’t want to feed my family with those things. I’m looking for this red-lady variety. Can any one please let me know where they can be found?

Thanks in advance!!