Trellising water melon

Hello All,.
Has anyone tried trellis method of cultivating water melon. If so can anyone tell me about it.

i takes too much time trelissing individual fruit, working on the thin stems of watermelon is not the problem, what comes after is. each fruit needs to be put in individual net sack and tied up to overhead wires to hold weight.
but before all how will you achieve pollination ( assuming it is inside a polyhouse)

1 Like

Hi,
Brijesh I was thinking of going for iron pillars as I already have few before for farm fencing. I was thinking if I put at 8 feet each and around 6 poles in a row. Later on I will use GI wire making it three rows through which the creepy will climb and I will be limiting it by using three branches maximum 2 or three fruits for each plant. Later in I will hang each fruit by a sac Suspended and tied to gi wire.

Thanks and Regards
Narendra

This was my idea. Can you let me know if it’s right.

What is the cost of the overall exercise ? Water melon is currently sold at 12000 /ton approximately . Not feasible unless it is some kind of exotic fruit or vegetable where the cost of trellising would be cheaper than the return . I currently have water melon in 2 acres and yes , it is on the ground .

Hello sir,
What was the bed distance you had given. I mean row to row and plant to plant.

yugaaa
January 21 |

What is the cost of the overall exercise ? Water melon is currently sold at 12000 /ton approximately . Not feasible unless it is some kind of exotic fruit or vegetable where the cost of trellising would be cheaper than the return . I currently have water melon in 2 acres and yes , it is on the ground .

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

narendr_06
January 21 |

Hi, Brijesh I was thinking of going for iron pillars as I already have few before for farm fencing. I was thinking if I put at 8 feet each and around 6 poles in a row. Later on I will use GI wire making it three rows through which the creepy will climb and I will be limiting it by using three bra…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The Bed to bed distance is around 8 ft and individual beds are 3 ft . In my case I prefer the plants not growing more than 5-6 ft in length . The distance between 2 plants is around 40 cms in a row and distance between plants in a bed is 2 .5 ft .