Starting a large scale farm in Tamil nadu

G.P ROA SIR YOUR GUIDANCE ARE GOOD ,DRUMSTICK YIELD GOOD PRICE AND ALSO WE CAN GET DRY LEAVES FOR MAKING HERBAL POWDER I HAVE MANY CONTACTS OF BUYERSNWHO WANT MORINGA DRY LEAF BUT THERE IS LOT OF GAP BETWEEN DEMAND AND SUPPLY ,SO WE STARTED UHD TECHNOLOGY IN MORINGA FOR LEAF WE CAN PROUDLY INTRODUCE OURSELVES THE WE ARE ONLY THE GROUP OF FARMERS CULTIVATING MORINGA IN UHD TECHNOLOGY
sundarsmnm@gmail.com

I have seen various comments by various authors & I appreciate their practical experiences.All sort of suggestions are available and it will not be appropriate to challenge the efficacy and effectiveness of either of them.Only thing which can be said is that medicinal plants have big scope in futuristic market as people are shifting their treatment from chemical drugs(capsules and tabletsetc) to herbal products.There are many good buyers in Tamilnadu who are exporting & purchasing herbal products in bulk.This is what i wanted to convey from my side.
rcdixit

Thanks for all the wonderful replies , Any say on solar powered bore wells?

1. you can use 6 hrs a day.
  2. Cost is 1 lac/HP. (This is for turn key. If the installation is done you you, can save 15-20%)
  3. There are wind cum solar hybrid. This works even in cloudy days on wind energy.

How long is the life of such solar panels?

When you visit Tamil Nadu, show up to regional research station, Aruppukottai (Belongs to Tamil Nadu Agricultural University). You can get wide up to date knowledge about farming in Aruppukottai region with Black soils.

anyone here with success stories from arpukottia region? Also is there heavy mineral deposition in the ground water?

I have another question! Land around this area is around 1 lakh an acre and just by sowing maize you can get 25 to 30 quintals of harvest which should give you around rs 30000 and the expenses are around 5000 to 6000 according to my stats at the most, which means you can get return of 25 percent return on your money given you have plenty of water ( be it borewells , river or dam water)
SO WHY is that farming here isnt that popular ?

There are few points to be noted:(why agriculture is not so popular even numbers are so lucarative)

1. Farmers now-a-days prefers to earn quick and easy money.(This is the mentality of farmers in my area).
  2. Maize is safest bid: no pests, no deseases and constant market rates, increasing demand etc. Vegetable prices are very flucutaing.
  3. You can make more money(than maize) in Banana, papaya,Moringa, and other fruits. It needs lot of energy, planning, effort etc.
  4. Farmers dont want to plan(they like adhocery), dont want to invest money on right things. They dont want to explore market.
  5. There few exceptions, who does all above. They will be tagged as progressive farmers. I have seen them how they have prospered.

I will give a classic example in my area. Most of the farmers have sowed ginger this year. Past five years it has topped the selling price in this area. Last year there was dip in prices(1/3). No body sowed last year. This year again there is good rates. By looking at the rates everybody has sowed now, next year will be disaster. What I am trying tell is they are failing to make a study and select the crops. When they meet losses they curse agriculture industry.

Same thing happening in Tamilnadu with Moringa.

This could be a narrow view, because I am keeping my area for these studies.

Members anybody want to debate on this? Is this the trend in your locality also?

Dear Sri Sir, I am very much accepting your observations. As an elderly man I say you that a good day for progressive farmers is very nearby. As you said, mostly farmers following neighbour/Same village farmers and observing how much income they got and how good crop they got only and repeating the same crop. Mostly they are not observing/studying the market requirement, consumers prefarance,quality etc and not spending any money for innovation and study. As you said there will not be any market problem for Maize of any quantity produced as it already became a necessity food article for so many feeds/foods Industries. There should be an awareness in common farmers also in using pesticides like Thimmet,Forate 3 or 10 G etc for disinfecting the soil, (as it is very cheap even though it is banned in so many countries) ,and its diseases but they are not much attracted to use Neem Cake,Bio-Pesticides, as they are costly ,and they are not aware that they not only disinfectants and also very good for pro-bacteria and good fertilisers also. If this much awareness comes in farmers I think things moves very nicely and future for agriculture/Horticulture will be bright. As an optimist I tell you that very good days are coming for progressive farmers very soon and village farmers also follows them. I hope like Maize, Moringa Olifera also will have a very bright future very soon. g.p.rao, farmer.

Dear Rao sir,

I too agree with your points. Farmers copy their neighbours rather than make a quick survey.

Hello Sri,
I am planning to plant moringa in TN near kanchi. My understanding is moringa is a good perennial corp, though price fluctuates. From your earlier post, I get the feeling that moringa prices are low. Is this true in TN.

read posts below
farmnest.com/forum/animal-farmin … en#msg9790

Vet Sir, Moringa Olifera,drum stick prices, fluctuate in Tamilanadu much and in other parts of India ,little stable. Over all the production is much and demand is good throught the year . g.p.rao, farmer.

Any takers here who can gurantee me x amount of money per acre given i can get them water? in this area or CAn give a good farm model on profit sharing basis?

Today moringa price is Rs 3/Kg.
Too bad. It is not sufficient to engage labours to pick pods and trans port to market.

You have explore other places. In my town todays retail rates are 60/Kg. In whole sale it will be atleast 30/Kg.

You have to find out genuine buyer for you.

[quote=agri1972]
Today moringa price is Rs 3/Kg.
Too bad. It is not sufficient to engage labours to pick pods and trans port to market.
[/quote] Dear Agri 1972, if you have considerable quantity of Moringa Olifera pods with you, pl consult the exporters in Tuticoron or Madurai and on taking their advise pl dry your pods along with seeds. Negotiate the prices with them. If the quantity of pods are less, pl speak with whole sale traders of Bengaluru, Hosur (Tamilnadu ),Tumkur,Mangalore,Hassan and also in Andhra Pradesh, for fresh pods market. Do not get panic and good days will come soon. g.p.rao, farmer.

Dear friend from Toronto,

I could not get to read the Forum posts the last couple of days due to various reasons. Hence, my delayed reaction.

At the outset, welcome to the Forum! Also, welcome to the “Agriworld”. From your responses to various suggestions, comments and points mentioned by members, I gather that you appear to be drawing up a long-term vision for yourself in agriculture. But maybe you will take the final plunge only after you achieve some sort of stability in the whole project. There is nothing wrong with that.

Since you have mentioned that you have a large extent of land and that resources are not a constraint, I would suggest that you go for integrated farming. Though a word of caution - water is the basic requirement of all agriculture and unless you have assured sources, you should not plan any other activities; rainfed crops are fine. I continue, assuming you have (or will take steps to have) assured sources of water . . . . . . . . . . . While you have started cultivation, I would also suggest that you start a dairy at the earliest. You have sufficient land for growing fodder. Don’t start with big numbers but small number of animals to start with. Once you have the experience and the confidence you can slowly expand. Important that you plan the dairy and simultaneously take up fodder cultivation. Once you have the dairy up and running, go for a biogas plant. You can use the biogas for cooking and all other heating applications. If your herd numbers go up, then the biogas plant can be bigger. You can then run a generator or pump using the biogas. Also, start a vermi-compost unit. The biogas slurry and vermi-compost as well as the urine can be used as natural manure. Your overall cost for buying fertilizers will go down drastically, besides improving the general fertility of soil. The dairy and the vermi-compost unit will generate additional income. This will complete the cycle with all activities integrated and inter-dependent. You can go in for additional activities depending upon your interest, your past successes and future potential. I have visited an integrated farm (about 100 km from Hyderabad) and was very much impressed by what I saw.

You have also mentioned about farm tourism. This is a new concept in India, which can be developed provided it is done in a proper manner. However, there are a number of pit falls relating to farmhouse/farm hotel activities. Mixing up the two activities may be a cause for headache. Except for a few resorts established in some plantations (generally as a tie up with an external agency), there are not many of such activities in India at present.

Finally, may I suggest that you attend a couple of training courses run by agencies such as KVKs on relevant topics that can give you a first hand idea on what you are getting into. You may employ the best of people, but unless you know what you are required to do (need not be an expert but at least a minimal knowledge is essential) you can easily be taken for a royal ride!

Finally all good wishes and I am sure there are any number of experienced members on this Forum who can help you out with suggestions and help.

Cheers,

John

I really appreciate your detailed reply john and what you said completely makes sense and not only dairy i will start poultry along with it to generate extra income and also in this area a lot of people have goat herds which people invite them for a sleepover on there farm and they pay per goat which sounds like an additional income source to me. Since a lot of the land is to be cleared or weed and stuff goats can graze the. Can you also tell me if the genrator run by bio gas can be used to pump ground water?