Solar water pumps - does anyone have experience?

Please see a good utube -

youtube.com/watch?v=BNZWgNeBu28

by Solar Water Pump by VRG Energy-Gujarat, India…flv

another big player again from Germany

lorentz.de/en/references/asi … a_103.html

Indian Players

prosunindia.com/solarpump.html

spanpumpsindia.com/solar-pow … -pump.html

After doing research these are the vendors I have short listed…

1. Selco lighting from Bangalore for $450
  2. Wind powered motor from Veina and there is a good utube video of this and was done near Madras
  3. Wind turbine for roofs by Amit and is there on utube and is a must for home labor quarters animal sheds…
  4. Solar fence project report on Nabard - need to identify top 3 players near Sec’bad.
  5. Biogas lighting and stoves from Arti gas and not sure if they operate in other areas other then BNG.

I am still leaning towards Solar pumps / Wind turbines for farm bore well pumps as even though initial investment would be very high, if we can avail the subsidy that would offset some of the cost … the IRR would be better and we would not have to depend on the Govt supplied power for the most essential input I.E water supply.

As Solar pump are not feasible where ground water table is very low to get maximum benefit we have to make a storage tank and pump into that from ground water sources whenever there is current supply and then during the day pump from Solar to the drip system.

Thanks,
Madhukali.

PS - Please add more vendors with pricing along with rating feedback from existing users so we have a good listing to choose from.

Madhu, Any info on the price for solar water pumps.

Hello Everyone,
I was following the topic and trying to find what will be the cost to install/run 5HP Solar submersible pump, here in Hyderabad the PV panel per watt is 50/- but could not get the price of charger controller/invertor. Can any one shed some light on this.

Bhasker rao

Hi Bhasker

Did you check this out

farmnest.com/ads/equipment/kamad … 100-hp_207

Shiv

business-standard.com/india/news … ng/493657/

Claro Energy targets solar-based pumping in talks with VCs for funding
Its solution has caught the Bihar government?s fancy but growth to a large extent is a function of its ability to raise capital

Bunty Singh is a large farmer in Bihar’s Gopalganj district. In the absence of reliable supply of electricity, he used to incur Rs 2.42 lakh a year on diesel because he had to depend on his diesel generator (DG) set and a 5-Hp pump to irrigate his 40 hectares of farmland.

Last year, he bought a solar power solution for Rs 9.5 lakh and hopes to recover this cost in four years by saving on diesel expenses and maintenance of the DG set. Singh doesn’t mind the investment.

Besides irrigating his fields, the solar system leaves him some surplus power to charge mobile phones or run a thresher for harvesting grain. More important, he can now grow three crops a year against two earlier—he used to skip the garma season (in between kharif and rabi season) when evaporation is very high and, hence, the diesel consumption.Many farmers in Bihar’s Gopalganj and in Nalanda district, home to chief minister Nitish Kumar , have started adopting this solar solution offered by Claro Energy , a Delhi-based start-up which has sold 65 installations in Bihar. Many of these have been bought by state government departments and big farmers, Claro is now working with lenders to come up with a financing plan to bring down the upfront cost for farmers.
The opportunity is huge. Many rural consumers don’t have access to reliable power, with states running big peak power deficits: Bihar (30.2 per cent), Maharashtra (27.3 per cent), Uttar Pradesh (26.4 per cent) and Punjab (20.5 per cent). Worse, many states curb supply to agriculture as they are not able to recover the cost of supply or are forced to supply power for free. As a result, farmers are forced to use diesel-fired pumps to irrigate their fields.

Bihar alone has a little over one million privately-owned pumps fuelled by diesel, while state government departments (nurseries, animal husbandry) have 12,468. Uttar Pradesh, the next state Claro Energy is targeting, has a base of three million privately-owned pumps, while state departments have 13,000. States are keen to cut the subsidies on diesel; Bihar gave one of Rs 690 crore last year.

‘’Claro has executed 35 solar pumps, and all are working well,” says Kishor Kumar , senior officer at the minor water resources department of the state government. Under the Kosi Restoration Scheme, phase II, Bihar plans to restore many of its high-capacity pumps (17-30 Hp) in five districts of the Kosi basin, a World Bank scheme.

There are 275 pumps of 7.5 Hp, which it plans to solarise under this scheme. ‘’The only constraint is cost, which makes it difficult for small and marginal farmers to adopt this,” says Kumar.

The early days
When Kartik Wahi and Soumitra Mishra met at the Kellogg School of Management, US, in 2010, they thought of doing something in the waste management space in India.

They soon realised these would be long gestation periods. Those days, cleantech was the big theme in the US, which coincided with the National Solar Mission in India. Many business houses jumped the bandwagon to set up on-grid solar projects, which saw some 1,000 Mw of capacity going onstream in the last two years. In a sector where technical and commercial losses can be as high as 40 per cent, the duo felt these projects did not make sense.

They began looking at off-grid, decentralised generation and then settled for a solar-based application, like solar-pumping. ‘’We said let’s try to generate power where it is needed,’’ says Wahi from his two-room office in Delhi’s Lado Sarai village, next to Qutub Minar. This is when they roped in their third partner, Gaurav Kumar, Wahi’s batchmate in engineering college. Gaurav, having worked in Punj Lyod, came with strong project execution skills.

They decided to target Bihar, as it had high power deficits and being in the Gangetic plains, the water table was high — five metres after monsoon, and 10 metres in other months. That was the easier part. ‘’Solar pumping was a non-existent terminology. People had heard of solar lights, solar lanterns; nobody thought they could do solar pumping,” recalls Wahi.

So, the first challenge was to demonstrate the concept, which they did with demonstration farms of varying sizes, sensitising the state machinery. Claro worked closely with agriculture-focused institutions and state government departments (like animal husbandry and wetlands), which bought into the idea after seeing the benefits of the solar pumping. To promote use of wetlands, a state minister came up with the idea of having fish ponds in these areas and using solar pumps to top up the water level, coining an adage, niche machli, uppar bijli (fish cultivation below, power generation on top through solar panels, saving space).

The challenges
Currently, Claro’s customer mix is 75:25 in favour of the government, with farmers contributing the rest. It is trying to make it 60:40 and then eventually 50:50. While big farmers have bought into the idea, 80 per cent of them in Bihar have holdings of less than a hectare (2.47 acres). The challenge is to make the set affordable for them.

For irrigating one hectare, a farmer needs a 1-Hp pump and 2-KvA DG set, on which he would incur diesel expenses of Rs 41,000 a year if he runs it for 1,000 hours a year (five hours a day for 200 days a year). A solar system with the same pump and DG capacity will cost a farmer Rs 2.2 lakh, which he can recover in four years by saving on annual expenses of around Rs 41,000 on diesel.

Claro is talking to banks and other lending agencies to try and bring in a debt package, which will bring down the upfront cost to the farmer. States are doing their bit to promote solar pumping — Bihar, Jharkhand, and Uttar Pradesh have come up with incentive schemes. Claro is participating in these tenders, with some other firms. Bihar’s scheme is for installation of 560 solar-powered pumps where the state is extending a 50 per cent subsidy, on top of 30 per cent extended by the Centre. Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra are mulling similar programmes.

‘’The first three years are going to be sluggish, like it was in wind power or the capacity build-up under the National Solar Mission,” says Wahi. In a little over two years (starting in January 2011), Claro posted a turnover of Rs 2.5 crore and a small net profit of Rs 6 lakh for the year ended March 2012. Getting the state governments to adopt is a huge opportunity, and the firm is looking at a pipeline of Rs 100 crore of orders from these schemes.

Claro claims gross margins of 30-35 per cent. But cashflow is volatile, as a lot of it goes in giving bank guarantees (for participating in tenders) or in ramping up the payroll.A key constraint is funding, or the lack of it, which could hurt growth. Though its model is not capex heavy — it places an order for equipment when it gets one — lack of capital will inhibit its ability to grow. It doesn’t have access to working capital; a credit line of Rs 1-2 crore could do it a world of good. Banks don’t give unsecured lending, and want collateral.

‘’We are 29-year-olds, with no assets. Our only access to funds is friends and family; we operate on a build-to-order model,’’ says Wahi. Claro is in talks with VCs and hopes to rope in an investor in three-six months. Experts say there’s demand for Claro’s solar pumping solution as costs (rentals go up sharply) and availability of DG sets during the season is an issue, and enjoy states’ support. ‘’The model is scalable but in a B2G (business to government) business, you need deep pockets,’’ Praneet Gupta, head of strategy, Cummins, said in his personal capacity.

Hi Shiv,

We recently completed a 3Hp solar water pumping solution @ hyderabad. You need to connect correct capacity pump converter and appropriate wattage of solar panels for successful operation.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO
Greencurrent Solar Energy Systems

Dear Murali, you say 5HP based on what factors? Remember the way to calculate the pump ratings for Solar could be different. 5HP will not be a cost effective solution in my opinion (unless your source of water is way below the ground … like 1,000ft etc).

I am on a lookout for a good water pump for my Aquaponics (raising fish and plants) project with low wattage and high performance. Can you suggest solar pump makes and rates for the following?

LPH - 12500 Height 2-3 meters
LPH - 25000 Height 2-3 meters
LPH - 50000 Height 2-3 meters

Appreciate your reply. Thank you so much!

Dear NARDC,

From your head details, I presume you are looking for a openwell solar water pumping solution.

For your LPH requirement, we can offer 3 models

A)LPH - 12500 Height 2-3 meters - 0.5Hp Single Phase Solar Water pump
B)LPH - 25000 Height 2-3 meters - 1Hp Single Phase Solar Water pump
C)LPH - 50000 Height 2-3 meters - 1.5Hp Single Phase Solar Water pump

Cost will vary on lot of parameters. But indicative cost should be

A)Apprx Rs.1.3 Lakh
B)Apprx Rs.1.6 Lakh
C)Apprx Rs.1.9 Lakh

A techno commercial quote can be provided against specific requirement.

Kindly email me:saravana.kumar@greencurrent.in or call me:9566600477 for a brief discussion.

Best Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO
www.greencurrent.in

Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciate it. I will send a separate email as soon as I reach NARDC office.

I am very much interested but I thought costs are coming further down especially on those new solar imports coming from China. Are the rates negotiable further? How many years of warranty do you provide?

Kind regards, vkn
NARDC
nanniodeaquaponics.blogspot.com

Dear VKN,

On the positive note; Of course the cost of the solar panels are coming down but where as on the downside; the cost of electronics & electrical say pump,VFD, MPPT, swicth gears, cables are increasing as copper rates shoot high everyday and so is the mounting cost as steel prices rise.

But having said that, please note that I have mentioned a indicative quote considering the maximum, actual cost may vary upon our discussion.

Also, the solar panels comes with 25 years performance warranty, cables 25 years, structure 15 years and pumps & electronics carry 1 year warranty.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO

Hi,

I have been installed solar water pumping system ten days ago in my agricultural land.
Due to wind, four panels are blown off, at one side of panel frame holes are tore. One panel on the frame broken due to twist at screws.
Unfortunately due to some reasons I have not made insurance.
How can I avoid this damage in future.
Kindly suggest mitigation and contingency plans for this situation.
Kindly share your suggestions and experiences which can be more helpful.

Regards,
swamy
Mob:8867792430

Sorry to hear that. I haven’t heard such damages due to wind. Will it help to install the panels with some gap between every panel? I hope that will help to reduce the wind power.

May be something like this :
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =1&theater

Hi mpneerkaje,

Thank you for your reply.But the link is not working.
COuld you please add to this page?

Regards,
Swamy

You will need to logon to facebook to see that image. I can paste the image but it won’t give you full information. Better logon to facebook and click that link.

Thanks
Mahesha

Sir,

to irrigate square plot of 20 acere, water from open well how much capacity of motor required? and aprx cost of solar motor inclusive of all expenses?

tks
rajan

Hi,
Still that facebook link is not working.
Regards,
Swamy

Sorry to hear that. This may work instead :
facebook.com/udaya.kashyap?fref=nf

Incorporated in the year 2010 at India. We Ecozen Solution are engaged in manufacturing and supplying a premium quality range of Solar water pump controller, Solar Water Pump, Solar cold storage, etc.