Solar powered irrigation

Dear forum members.

I am K.Solaimalai and I am new to this forum.

I need some technical clarification before taking up the project for which some of the input in given for your reference

I plan to cultivate banana crops at my 3.5 acres dry land for which, one solar powered irrigation pump system is to be installed. The temperature between Jan to May will be around 35 deg C max and 30 Deg max during July to October. Rest is rainy days.

Type of Plant to cultivate: G9 Banana
Total Irrigation Area (Acres ): 3.5
Total plants: 4200
Total Water requirement / Day (LPD): 67200
Type of well: Deep Borewell
AC Submersible Pump : 5 hp
Pump intake depth (m) Depth of pump positioning: 152
Static level (m) Water level when not pumping: 76
Drawdown level (m) Water level after pumping: 138
Depth of well (m) Complete depth of well: 174

1. Can a 5 hp pump draw water from a depth of 150 meter ?
  2. May the delivery pressure sufficient to cater drip irrigation. What may be the pressure at peak?.
  3. What is the delivery pipe diameter and thepipe will be of either HDPV or galvanised iron pipe
  4. No of stages for the AC submersible pump
  5. Can we use the pump for both solar and grid power.
  6. What may be the assured delivery of water (LPD) .Availablity of water at 450 ft is abundant
  7. Can the pump run at bright daylight without sunshine.

Hope you will appriciate my eagerness in knowing the facts and look forward to have your mail at the earliest, before buying a solar system

With Regards

K.Solaimalai

Dear Mr.Solaimalai,

First of all,

A) Drawing 67200 i.e 16liters/plant for 4200 plants per day on Solar using 5HP capacity from 152m head is near impossible.

B)Even assuming your drip pressure head requirement to be 3 bar , 67200 @ 182m head is impossible totally. IMK

I would suggest you to either

A)Construct a tank/farmpond, store water pumped from 5HP borewell pump on solar and then use another openwell motor with high head to pump water to drippers

OR

B)Increase the capacity of the motor suitably so that when run on solar the motor pumps 67200 LPD to drip lines directly. This could be 7.5HP or even 10HP.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

PS:

Answers for your questions based on performance of our 5HP System;

1. Can a 5 hp pump draw water from a depth of 150 meter ?

Yes peak delivery would be 90 LPM @ 152M head

1. May the delivery pressure sufficient to cater drip irrigation. What may be the pressure at peak?.

Pressure may be sufficient during peak sun hrs.

1. What is the delivery pipe diameter and thepipe will be of either HDPV or galvanised iron pipe

1 1/2" Delivery size. Pipes would be Aashirwad UPVC

1. No of stages for the AC submersible pump

Our model would be 37 stages

1. Can we use the pump for both solar and grid power.

Yes.

1. What may be the assured delivery of water (LPD) .Availablity of water at 450 ft is abundant

Typically our tracking based system would putout 45,000 LPD @ 152M head & non tracking would put out 36,000 LPD @ 152M head under good radiation days.

1. Can the pump run at bright daylight without sunshine.

Yes, but the discharge would be reduced and proportionate to the incident sun light.

Saravanakumar Sir,
Can you tell us if there is any subsidy for the solar pump installation in karnataka and the process of getting it.?

Regards,
AKS

Dear AKS Sir

Yes. There is a state Govt scheme that provides 80% subsidized solar pump.

Eligibility is head permitted upto 50m. And capacity 5hp.

These subsidized pumps are offered through discom, horticulture bodies and agri engg dept I hear.

We do also hear it’s allotted first come first serve basis and sanctioned only if quota available from allotted pool.

Best and validated source of information can be obtained from your agri engg dept.

Regards

Saravana