Soil amendments for terrace garden

I am very enthusiastic about farming. Since I own no lands, I am making some efforts in developing a terrace garden at home. I am facing challenges in getting the required soil. To manage cost and availability, I am looking at alternatives to add to the soil to make it rich in organic matter.

I am making compost at home from kitchen waste. I use coconut husks, cow and goat dung. I also take the Coffee Grounds from my office vending machines. What should I add to make my plants grow healthier. I am not for adding any external inputs like Bio fertilizers and the likes.

Can someone suggest?

With the addition of more organic matter in the form of leaves, hay and kitchen vegetable waste, you could consider converting your compost pit into a vermicompost pit, by adding earthworms. Earthworms should be available at around Rs. 150 a kilo, not sure where in Chennai though.

Alternatively, you could buy sacks of vermicompost at fertilizer stores for about Rs. 10 a kilo, in 20kg sacks.

Thanks so much!

Can I add earthworms directly to the pit where I put kitchen waste. this will not be a pit, but a earthen pot. Do I need to add soil to make Earthworms live? Can they just thrive on the organic matter?

Thanks for your response.

~ Jayakumar

While I was trying to learn more on this, I came across this site. www.dailydump.org

They have tools for making compost at home. More than this, I was more interested in the concept and the awareness about reducing waste and land fills. Please have a look.