Simple technique for improving yield and maintaining soil quality

Attached is a pic. from a farmvist to a sugarcane field of a progressive farmer.

The farmer by the name of Nitin Tawde has used a simple technique to drain excess water in a field that uses flood irrigation. As explained by him, the excess water drained leads to reduced salt deposits in the soil and thus improves soil quaility as well as yeild in from the field.

Though he has used this technique for his sugarcane crop, the same idea can be used on any field and for any crop other than ones needing flood irrigation.

For draining soil of excess water, plastic pipe is laid at a depth of 3 feet below the ground. These pipes are perforated to allow water to enter the pipes. To prevent soil entering and clogging the pipes, they are wrapped in a porous but non-rottable cloth. These buried pipes are carried to an outlet drain. The pipes are laid across the length of the field at a slightly sloping angle, with a distance of about 50 feet from each other.

The farmer has claimed improved yeild with this technique and has been able to get 6 consescutive sugarcane crop from the land thus prepared.

Am quoting what I have saw and heard verbatim.

Zen

Many of our Farmnest members had an animated discussion with the farmer, and may be able to answer queries if any.

The Salts in deep soil gets dissolved with water and water is drained. Is my understanding correct?
If this the case it is one time or few time affair. Why a permanent arrangement is needed. I was just wandering how salt deposits continuosly

My question is out of academic interest.

Is he doing organic way of agriculture?

Did you see any intercropping with sugarcane?

Hi Sri,

First of all let me state that my knowledge on the subject is limited to what I have heard from the soil scientist of KVK, farmer Nitin Tawde’s experience, and some reading of the subject matter.

Based upon the above, my understanding is as follows :

Most of the water contain salts. The plants take up the water and leave behind the salts which tend to accumulate below the soil. Over a period of time this excess build up of salt will rise up and accumulate higher upto the root zone in case the soil has the tendency to retain moisture or if there is presence of water table subsurface. These reduce the farm output and productivity over time and also deteriorate the quailty of the soil.

If using flood irrigation, the water pressure will push down the salts, and this water which has higher content of salts will be drained out of the soil and improve the soil quality.

Based on the above, having a one time arrangement of laying the corrugated pipes is a good idea. The farmer claimed that he had 6 continious crops of sugarcane from his soil. The average is 2-3, or 4 is considered good.

To answer your other question, no, the farmer uses fertilsers in his farm, and his only crop was of sugarcane.

Farmnest members who had a deeper discussion on the subject, please add your input.

Zen

In the pics. attached, the farmer Nitin Tawade is seen explaining the working of his self made fertigataion unit. He has made this from scrap material.

The point that I noted was that his farms had abudant produce of crops.

Some Farmnest members had a deep discussion on the hand made fertigation unit, and I would request the members with technical background to add input to the pics. or reply to any queires.

Zen

Wonder a Farmer has made such an Innovative Effort in Fertigating his Field with Scrap Material. I am also appreciating Mr.Zen for Bringing such an article and Pics. All our Members should get such innovative Inventions made by Farmers where Agri-Horticultural Universities and Departments are not doing. On seeing these things at least from Now the Universities and Departments are wake up in Helping the Farmers on whom entire UNIVERSE is depending to live.
All the Best to our Brothers Nitin Tawde and Mr.Zen for their Innovation and Bringing out the Pearl from the SEA.
MANNE.SN,B.Com.,LLB.,
for Vasudha Green Farms,Hyderabad,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com