Selecting Cow for a Dairy farm

Dear all
Selecting a good cow is the most crucial activity for a dairy farmer. Success of the dairy farm depends upon proper selection of cow. The following tips will help in selecting a good cow for a dairy farm. You can ask for clarification on below mentioned points.

1. Select cow either in first or second lactation and in second month of calving
  2. Do not purchase purebred exotic cows as it is difficult to maintain them under our climatic condition. You can select either crossbred exotic or pure bred indigenous milch breed like Sahiwal, Gir,Red Sindhi etc.
  3. Skin of the cow should be shining & elastic
  4. Milk vein of the cow should be prominent & tortuous
  5. Udder of the cow should be Soft and spongy without lumps
  6. Teats should be uniform
  7. Eyes should be bright without discharge
  8. Muzzle of the cow should be Dark moist and cool
  9. Ears should be alert without discharge
  10. Horns should be smooth
  11. Hoofs should be uniform without lameness
  12. Thorax of the cow should be wide & ribs should be well arched
  13. Pelvis should be Well developed
  14. Calf of the cow must be healthy
    DAR.A.K.KAR www.odishavet.com

Kindly clarify the following
1- What is muzzle?
2- What is milk vein ?

Dear SKS

Muzzle is the nose of animal. In cow it is the place between two nostrils. In healthy cow you will notice small dew drop like secretions over muzzle. If secretion is present over muzzle called as moist muzzle. If no secretion is present it is called dry muzzle. Dry muzzle in cow indicates disease or some internal problems.(photo of muzzle is attached)
Milk vein is a long and large vein which is found on lower side of abdomen just below skin. It takes blood from udder to heart. A large zigzag milk vein is considered as a good dairy characteristic. (photo attached)
DR.A.K.KAR www.odishavet.com

Dear Mr. Kar,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Could you please give me your mobile phone, so that I can contact you for a dairy farm in Odisha.
My email is: siddharthaskar@yahoo.co.in

Regards,
Siddhartha.

Hello

Thank you for sharing

I am also planning to starting a dairy farm in Odisha. Could you share you knowledge & experience with me.
Could you give me your contact details.

Regards

Vishal Goel

Vishalgoel88@yahoo.com