Selecting a good cow is the most crucial activity for a dairy farmer. Success of the dairy farm depends upon proper selection of cow. The following tips will help in selecting a good cow for a dairy farm. You can ask for clarification on below mentioned points.
- Select cow either in first or second lactation and in second month of calving
- Do not purchase purebred exotic cows as it is difficult to maintain them under our climatic condition. You can select either crossbred exotic or pure bred indigenous milch breed like Sahiwal, Gir,Red Sindhi etc.
- Skin of the cow should be shining & elastic
- Milk vein of the cow should be prominent & tortuous
- Udder of the cow should be Soft and spongy without lumps
- Teats should be uniform
- Eyes should be bright without discharge
- Muzzle of the cow should be Dark moist and cool
- Ears should be alert without discharge
- Horns should be smooth
- Hoofs should be uniform without lameness
- Thorax of the cow should be wide & ribs should be well arched
- Pelvis should be Well developed
- Calf of the cow must be healthy