Seeds are not growing good in potrays

Greetings to all,

I have been using the potrays to germinate the various vegitable seeds, espicially, Tomato, capsicum, chillies etc. I observed that most of the seeds were getting germinated but not growing enough size. And observed that few plants were dying after few days. I am uisng only vermicompost as nutrients once in 15 days.
NOTE: I have not adopted any seed treatement.

I would like to go only Organic way. Appreciate if any of you advise me how to raise the samplings in potrays.

Regards,

Ravi

Hi Ravi,
I hope you are getting the basics right regarding the sowing of seeds in trays. You have to collect good quality seeds for getting good crop. If you want to grow them as 100% organic, then you have to buy seeds from any of the organic seed supplies like green foundation or annadaana foundation etc. The trays have to be filled with 50% vermi compost and 50% fine soil mixed well before you sow in the seeds. Once sown, you have to place the trays in a shade net or a poly house for atleast 10 days before they germinate properly. You better dont expose those to direct or harsh sunlight for few days. Regarding the seed treatment, you can go for beejamrutha treatment as it enhances the plant growth in the initial stages, before you replace the plants into the farm from the trays.

Regards,
AKS

Adding to what AKS said,
If you cannot prepare beejamritha, you can use cocopeat treated with “IIHR Microbial Consortium”. It has Psudomonas, VAM and …so on. These will help in root growth.Looks like saplings are fighting with fungii and dying.

The reason I suggested cocopeat is that when you treat with microbial consortium it is disinfected from fungii.

Hello AKS and Sri,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually I am following more or less the same procedure. I could see aroud 80% seeds are getting germinated. Now the issues is the growth of plants (Chilly, Capsicum and Tomato). It’s been 4 weeks the seeds were germinated and groth of these plants are not that great. Moreover I see few plants are dying.

I am giving water in regular intervals (ensuring that there is enough moist in the trays) and adding “vermicompost” in 15days once for nutrient suppliment.

Still I see the plants are not growing :frowning:

I really appreciate if you advise me to protect my plants.

Regards,

Ravi

Ravi,
You need not keep the saplings for 4 weeks in trays. 10 -14 days is the normal time for most of the vegetable varieties. You can replace the saplings into the ground now and maintain the specified distances between the plants and follow the normal irrigation cycle. I hope they should be good.

Regards,
AKS