Secret to Health & Wealth with Dairy Farming

The secret of health & wealth with Milk
The main part of dairy farming is the animal. NEVER buy Jersey or other western breed animal because it is genetically modified (GM) cow and the milk is A1 milk that is harmful for consumption. Moreover the delicacy of the breed giving it so much water to cooling and drinking and medicines do not make it sustainable. It also makes it every expensive to raise and breed. Thus for anybody who is interested in Diary farming they should use either local breeds or Gir, Sindhi and where there is high heat they can use Tharparker breed. These do not require much delicate care, are healthy, sturdy against diseases and intelligent.
Next Part is the Milk - Milk should not be sold, especially if you are a traditional dairy farmer. Only if you can sell it at the market price then and only then should you resort to selling milk. Selling milk is not also advised in the Vedas. Personally I feel it is the most stupid thing to do. The fact that you are selling it means you are doing it for money but then you are always going to sell it at a loss. It is like selling gold at the price of silver. Technically when you sell milk you will always be at a disadvantage. The more milk you sell the more you are at a loss.
There are many disadvantages of selling milk. The biggest reason is that it has no shelf life. The companies increase shelf life by sudden heat and sudden cooling of the milk and thus killing almost all the good and bad bacteria in the milk and also most of its nutrients.
Another problem is its volume. The amount of milk collected in a 5 Gir cow diary is close to 30 to 50 ltrs of milk….DAILY. You not only have to collect it but will also have to deal with disposing it off too. This is not a very enviable task unless you have at least 50 people lining up at your house daily. Most probably you will have to reach few Hotels, or Houses or Milk selling place to sell the Milk. Not only once but you have to do it twice a day… and for all the hard work you do, you might not get paid daily but probably weekly or monthly.
The secret of milk is to turn the milk to ghee. Ghee is the art of compressing the voluminous milk into one eighth its size… meaning you can turn 1ltr of milk into 125gm of ghee and also in the process create a refreshing drink called buttermilk. THAT IS THE MAGIC OF MILK. If you do not understand this part you will always sell milk and end up earning a diminishing return. By this method you preserve all the goodness & nutrients of the ghee as it is.
Suppose one man has one dairy cow and he gets 8 ltrs of milk daily then he proceeds to make ghee out of that then he is able to make 1 Kg of Ghee daily. At the end of 30 days he has 30 cans of 1kg Ghee and he can sell these 30 cans at his convenience. He can store it to sell it at a later date. Ghee has no expiry date and the connoisseur of ghee know the quality of A2 ghee increases as it gets older. In this aspect it is like Wine – the older the wine the better it is. Had he been selling his milk he would have to deal with 240 ltrs of milk. With 5 Cow he would have to deal with 5nos. x 240ltrs = 1200 ltrs. The connoisseur also places higher value of Ghee made from curds rather than Ghee made from butter as the chemical process of making curds and butter is completely different.
The compression of milk to ghee:

1. Reduces the storage COST by 80%.
  2. Reduces the transportation COST by 80%.
  3. Reduces the transportation EFFORT by 80%.
  4. Reduces the distribution COST by 80%.
  5. Reduces the distribution EFFORT by 80%.

This reduction in cost and effort and increasing the longevity of the product the diary farmer can reach far off markets where his products could be much sought after and people are willing to pay the fair price for the product. The diary farmer can sell and deliver 3 to 5 kg of ghee monthly to people even living further off in other states of India by way of courier service.
The Ghee manufacturer also has to educate the people about the benefits of Ghee made from A2 Milk, explain the way the cattle are grazing freely and living respectable lives and not in cubicles, not mal-treated, not abused for 5 yrs and sent away to be butchered. Explain how important their dung and urine are and how it is being used. All these activities have to be backed up by regular photos on your facebook accounts. There has to be regular pictures of interesting activities at the farm, or in diary processing etc. Periodic placards with explanation about A2 Milk, replacing Sunflower/corn oil with Ghee, the benefit of making fodni with ghee, medicinal benefits and recipes of ghee. The Facebook account should have pictures into various albums like:

1. Cattle Shed,
  2. Cattle grazing area,
  3. Cattle milking,
  4. Diary processing pics,
  5. Packaging pics,
  6. Pics of A2 Milk benefits,
  7. Pics of disadvantage of A1 milk
  8. Pics of disadvantage of Sunflower/Corn oil,
  9. Food recipes of ghee.
  10. Common medicines with Ghee.
    You also have to pay Facebook to market your site in the first year. Make sure respond to your email and “like” and respond to comments on FB post. These are some of the ideas I would like to share with people interested in Diary Farming.
1 Like

As explained above dont sell Milk but sell Ghee… this is true for all the farm produce… dont sell raw material… sell processed goods… it adds value to the raw material. Dont sell cotton but sell cloth… and Ghee is comparatively very easy to make. If you sell 8 Ltr of milk you will only get a maximum of say Rs 40 x 8Ltrs = Rs320. While if you sell the same amount of milk turned into ghee you will get a minimum of Rs 1300 for 1 KG ghee. FOUR TIMES MORE… AT 8 TIMES LESS DISTRIBUTION & STORING EXPENSES You can even charge more (if you are too greedy) because it is A2 Ghee as it is sourced from Indian breeds.

If you are purely into milk production and distribution then you will need expensive equipments to cold store the milk, to pasteurize the milk, also while taking in milk tanker to far places like shops in city.

The art of turning Milk into Ghee (via curds) not only reduces the volume drastically, increases the profit drastically but also preserves the quality 100%. But during the whole process care has to be taken that will not reduce the quality of Ghee. Nobody should be able to find fault either in process or in packaging. Neither is there any requirement to cheat as there is enough profit from this without the cost involved of Milk preservation and distribution.

Why To Do this Business? In any business there is always the question of Why you want to do this business and not any other business? Personally I feel that rearing cow and looking after it is one of the most noblest of profession. And make no mistake the Cow can live without you but you need the cow. So next time you boast to people “Me 100 gai pal rahe hai” be humble that 100 cow are feeding you and not the other way around. Love the cow the right kind of cow can keep you family healthy and wealthy. You will not have to do any other kind of farming. But if you do the cowdung that you put in it will enhance that farming 10 times more.

The Desi Indian Breed is a must if you are into other kinds of farming as 1 cow can fertilize 30 acres of farmland. Yes 30 Acres… no typing error there. But if you have Genetically Modified animal like Jersey and Holstein, HF and shit… then its dung and urine is WORTHLESS because the good bacteria needed in it is only around 10% which is not good as fertiliser nor for biogas production.

If you have more than 2 cow it is a must to create a biogas digester. The cheapest one from Sintex cost only Rs 15,000. It has to be so designed that the cowdung & urine from the cowshed will flow into the digester and the outlet from the digester should fall in a 1 sqmtr tank which will have water incoming valve in it so that both water and the dung can be processed along with jaggery, mud from field and chane ka atta. This can be preserved under shade for a few days and then pumped from the outflow at the bottom of the tank into the field.

The biogas got from the above digester can be stored in a balloons which can be used to power Generator set to provide electricity to run Air-conditioner on those warm and humid nights for free.

The roof of the House & the Stable must install Solar Panels and if wind is good then also wind turbine. These are one time expense which will payback over years and generations. If you are finding the cost of solar panels as expensive then you could install solar panels without batteries and still get benefit during day time while the budget gets reduced 50%.

Dear Mr.BuddingFarmer
Some of the information provided by you is not correct. Cow milk contains 3.5 to 7% butter fat. It is not possible to extract all butter fat from milk for making ghee. Therefore one can get only 30-60 gram of ghee from a liter of cow milk. Similarly one can get 60-80 gram of ghee from a litter of buffalo milk.

but ghee made from Buffalo milk has no medicinal/healing properties… not recommended in ayurveda… it is not easily digestible, the melting point of buffalo ghee and cow ghee is different and its consumption affects the body differently… the connoisseur of ghee know that… that is why I request all people to avoid it… and use Desi Gir Cow breeds…

BurdingFarmer Sir,
Please explain me the method by which I can extract 125 gm ghee from a liter of cow milk. I usually get 25gm -30gm ghee from one liter of dhesi cow milk. Cost of one kg of Deshi Ghee is Rs.600/- in my area. Where you are selling your ghee at Rs.1300/- per KG?Waiting for your reply.

Which cow are you using? What is your process of making Ghee? And how do you sell it?

I am having red sindhi cows. I use traditional method of ghee preparation by extracting butter from curd (Dahi). I sell ghee in local market.Do you really know any magical method of extracting 125 gm of deshi ghee from a liter of milk ? if yes kindly describe your method without asking me further questions.

even if you sell 35 Ltr of milk you will only get a maximum of say Rs 40 x 35Ltrs = Rs1400. To companies one will be selling around Rs 20 x 35Ltrs = Rs 700.

While if you turn the same into ghee you can charge Rs 1400 to Rs 3,000 at the same time the Distribution and Storing expenses fall 35 times.

Coming to 1Kg ghee price in the market from 200 to 450 (Patanjali) (450/35Ltrs = Rs13/Ltr milk) is proof that it is not produced by pure desi cow…even by “Babaji”

Which is proof how little of this pure essence called desi ghee is available in the market and why people who know about its goodness are willing to pay a high price as much as Rs 3,000.

Other problem is storing … one could invest a huge amount in cold storage and cold storage transportation of the milk or could convert it to ghee at nominal price even if machines/electricity is used for churning. It is always preferable to use Solar Panels for Electricity (even without batteries if used during sunlight hours) as it is a one time investment and the most important investment other than water.

Another thing to avoid for storing is UHT… a process used to store for long term… a process where the milk is heated to a very high degree and then cooled suddenly… this process takes out all the good bacteria and bad bacteria and leaves nothing in the milk.

Chas can be given freely to those nearby houses and dear ones who buy ghee. If you can sell it well and good.

Next problem is marketing… selling to companies will give you the least, Selling it in multiple shops of others will give less profit, selling it in own shop in multiple places will give more profit, but selling it to people who understand the pureness of the breed and the quality of ghee will give the highest profit. To do this people will have to show which cow they have, what and how it is fed, how it is milked, how the milk is converted, how much milk is used to get 1 kg ghee, how it is packaged, etc. Just to do this and get this message across 10 yrs ago would have cost at least 25Lakhs. To make an advertisment can cost you Rs 25lakhs but today with a few freelance actors or friends, with mobile and youtube and a little editing and catchy/funny message one can be very effective. Today anybody can make youtube videos and upload it on the internet and insert the same in their facebook PAGE. Using social media is PARAMOUNT to getting your product out there, one dont necessarily need a website. If you use social media effectively you can be as effective as large companies who pay crores of rupees to advertise on Television. People with more local friends on their Facebook have a instant advantage. Facebook also charges quite reasonable for advertising your page too…

Pure ghee can be used to treat a lot of disease… 2 drops of ghee in the nose twice a day can address almost all ear, nose, throat (ENT) problems and there are many more…

Once more and more people like it you could get orders from nearby districts and states… as such pure products are not available in their locality. You could use courier services or services of online marketkings like flipkart and Snapdeal… even there you could place links to your fb page…

The same approach can be used for the sale of organic fertiliser. Cowdung has never to be dried… unless one wants to use it for burning… dried cowdung is useless… by drying the microbes get killed… we have to process it combine it with microbe enhancing stuff like water, sweetness possibly fruits, mud, and some atta… perfect to multiply the bacteria a million times… either this or the byproduct from the biogas digester can be packaged and sold as black gold organic fertiliser. Even if people buy at 1 Ltr at Rs 2 or 3 will be great benefit.

Initially the fertilizer can be given out free… later on you can charge small fee like Rs 2 or 3… these can be taken out via drums via oxen (no petrol/diesel cost) or own electric rickshaw (to keep cost down) with onboard pumps to spray in fields… in one’s own field it can be sprayed using drip/mist irrigation… this is easy to use and spread than vermicompost

Logic given in the above posting to derive cost of milk from market price of ghee and prove that Patanjali ghee “is not produced by pure desi cow” is totally wrong and misleading. Ghee is not the only component of milk from which milk marketing companies get profit. Ghee is only a small part of their income . Commercially speaking milk contains two important parts that have market value 1- Solid not fat (SNF) 2- Fat. Milk marketing companies generally remove butterfat from raw milk and sell that fat in the market as Ghee, Butter Oil, and butter etc. Raw milk after removal of fat still contains about .5% fat . The skimmed milk is pasteurized and homogenized and sold in market as double toned milk (0.5% Fat & 9% SNF). The cost of a liter of double toned milk is about Rs35-40/- . Dairies also get profit from selling milk products. Therefore it is totally wrong to defame a reputed company like Patanjali by deriving cost of milk from market price of its Ghee.
It is totally impossible to get 125gram ghee from a liter of cow milk. I would request my friends not to post such wrong & exaggerated figure .

Odishavet… [mod edits]… I have even said the below:
[i]even if you sell 35 Ltr of milk you will only get a maximum of say Rs 40 x 35Ltrs = Rs1400. To companies one will be selling around Rs 20 x 35Ltrs = Rs 700.

While if you turn the same into ghee you can charge Rs 1400 to Rs 3,000 at the same time the Distribution and Storing expenses fall 35 times.

Coming to 1Kg ghee price in the market from 200 to 450 (Patanjali) (450/35Ltrs = Rs13/Ltr milk) is proof that it is not produced by pure desi cow…even by “Babaji”

Which is proof how little of this pure essence called desi ghee is available in the market and why people who know about its goodness are willing to pay a high price as much as Rs 3,000.[/i]

Odishavet… you have setup a website… implying that you are a Vet… yet have given no contact details or address… for anybody to contact you… pretty strange for a person paying money from his own pocket to set up a website …

You say "Milk marketing companies generally remove butterfat from raw milk and sell that fat in the market as Ghee, Butter Oil, and butter etc. Raw milk after removal of fat still contains about .5% fat . The skimmed milk is pasteurized and homogenized and sold in market as double toned milk (0.5% Fat & 9% SNF). The cost of a liter of double toned milk is about Rs35-40/- . Dairies also get profit from selling milk products. " Which means they dont make ghee by first turning it to curds because in this process they will have to sell butter milk and not milk as there will not be any milk to sell as it has been turned to Ghee.

So what I say still stands true:
The ghee is not prepared the vedic way - as commercial/industrial method is to do it as you mentioned… via removing the butter fat… now butterfat from milk and makhan from curds are both different. If they did it via the vedic way it would have been written on it or on the website as mentioned here: vediccowproducts.com/home/14-100 … -ghee.html

Odishavet get more clubs… I am ready :wink:

The more the milk is needed the better it is for the Diary farmer… he has to find lesser avenues/clients AND spend less resources to sell it.

His distribution cost, and storing cost comes down 35 times. Not 3… not 7… not 10… not 20… but 35 times!!! and STILL fetches the same price or higher price. He is able to transport it from Kashmir to Kanyakumari…

Okay, looks like mods have some work to do here now…

@buddingfarmer
Personal attacks not allowed and will attract moderator action. Calling someone blind etc. is not permitted

Whether odishavet’s site has contact details has no bearing on the discussion topic. Please stick to the topic for discussion and disagree as much as you like.

BuddingFarmer Sir,
Instead of giving correct reply to my questions you are posting cock & bull story. You are throwing mud at a professional who is helping thousands of farmer. I have visited odishavet.com where all details of dr.kar , his photograph and his email-id is available.

I have put down my thoughts… if people find sense in it they can take it… if they find it nonsense they can ignore it…

There is a whole lobby promoting Exotic breed… after all these breeds are the vets favorites… as these fall sick very easily… the medicines & vets get in demand… Calving difficulty and calf death rate are also main problem in this breed…

People are being seduced by the promise of more milk yield… just like Monsanto promises more crop yield with GM crops…

The whole Agriculture and Animal husbandry Ministry is corrupt… it is because of the Ministry and their wrong advices that our farmers are having to commit suicide… and still they have not found any particular reason for this epidemic of farmer suicides… a fact that is so DANGEROUS THAN H1N1…

Lack of traditional cows is a major cause of the destruction of soil - brought in by chemical farming and GM crops… leading to farmer suicides. Traditional cow’s dung has the power to fertilize any chemical farm back to full of earthworms in a year’s time.

Basanta… I have given you the figures… unfortunately for some vague reason you choose to ignore it… you are still not happy…

BuddingFarmer Sir,
Please Post appropriate reply if you can. Don’t blame others unnecessarily.

The whole essence of my post for those who are interested in Diary Business is the below six points:

1. Dont use “Exotic Breed” as there are a number of problems with these breed

2. Use Buffalo OR Desi Cow.

3. Cow is always better than Buffalo

4. Dont sell milk but convert it to Ghee (by converting it to curds first). Compression ratio is very high 1:35. Expenses of distribution and storing come down heavily. There is no expiry date for ghee.

5. Try to be self sufficient in Water & Electricity by using clean energy and water harvesting methods.

6. Use social media to reach out to customers and advertise (all free).

Some people are obviously not happy with me recommending desi cows… people can read… they can understand… who all are trying to sell cock and bull story…

Wow!.. now even coca Cola is entering Diary Business:
economictimes.indiatimes.com/ind … 975676.cms

good or bad?.. only time will tell :slight_smile: