Regarding plantation of mangoes

Hi All,
This is my first post . Currently working in IT. Like all others who are part of this forum I do love farming and planning to do ZBNF. While going through Palekar’s book(vol 1) on five layer cropping he has quoted to use Mango seeds rather than saplings from nursery as nature doesn’t have any kind of nursery. When I discussed the same with my father who was earlier a farmer(right now into business) he said plants originated from seeds doesn’t give quality/quantity fruits.
I would like to know what is the best option from forum members. If seed is the best option how to procure them. Currently I am about to close a deal in buying the agriculture land of 5 acres.

-Krish

hey krish!
Krishna i presume,

we all start somewhere ! when i joined, lots of members gave me a grand welcome, and helped me a lot.
so welcome :smiley:

i have a mango farm, but i hardly know anything about them.
i’ll tell you the little i know to confuse you all the more :stuck_out_tongue:

1. plant grown from seed.
  2. plant grown from seed and then drafted.

i think the second is a better option, as the plant gets a matured part, so growth is faster.
you can draft (cut stems of good trees you identified) and paste them on the stem of the plant grown from the seed.

i am sure there will be a lot more members who will help you with this matter.

and the nature and nursery part is true. but humans have started drafting as its helpful i think.
i am planning to draft all possible varieties of mangoes i find on a single mango tree in my farm.

now that you’ve started the post, its your responsibility to keep it going, and teach/share all that you learn with us also :stuck_out_tongue:

Vivek

P.S. whats Palekar’s book about?

You have misunderstood the concept.
Sri palekar has elaborated on this. He also suggests grafting but “Grafating-insitu”. Plant the seeds, when the stems are as thick as a pencil graft it with required veriety.
The advantage with this is the mother root goes as deep as even befere grafting. If you bring sapling from a nursery the mother root is coiled like a spring and when you transplant it may not go as deep as grafted-insitu plants.
The need for mother root to be deep is “it makes the tree drought resistant and strong to oppose wind”
The major drawback is, grafting is a highly skilled job. you have to hire a skilled grafter to your farm. if you do it yourself result will be known only after 3 years.

After buying land prepare land with green menure crops before going for plantation. May is the best season for planting. For collecting seeds you can check fruit jiuce centres/fruit salad shops etc. Remember the seeds of the same season takes time to germinate, it wont germinate untill it comes out of the dormancy.

Thanks Sri & Vivek for pointing to me in right direction . As you said it was explained by Palekar in later pages. I posted this question before reading the entire book.

The land where I am looking is drought prone area (Anantapur dist) but as of now it has sufficient water at 25 -40 feet depth with 3 inches.
Can you throw more points on “Grafating-insitu” . My basic questions are

1. Can it be implemented practically these days?
  2. How much it will cost in implementation assuming Rs150/- for one labor per acre with 400 plants
    I am not sure whether we get skilled labor for grafting in this area…need to check with nursery guys

Please suggest me the green manure crops . It will be helpful as I am still novice for farming

Vivek,
your assumption is right regarding name :wink:

Regards
Krishna

30-40 ft deep water is subsurface water. it tend to diminish. you cannot count on this.
Graft insitu can be done if the nursery person agrees. you have to lure him smae price as if you are buying a sapling from him.
You can also go for nursery saplings.
digging a pit of 2x2x2 will cost you 15 to 25 depending on the labour. You have to give it as job work otherwise it will be loss for you.
Since you are going for mango plnatation it is worth paying visit to Jain farms,Udumalpet near coimbtore. They have example of ultra high density plantion. see below video adress is at 1.4 min contact is at the end of the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=a1kFv77Li8I

Green menure crops are
Sunhemp,Diancha,Alfalfa,Horsegram,Velvetbeans etc.

See more info on green menure in below thread
farmnest.com/forum/natural-farmi … /#msg13313

woah! high density mango … awesome!

hey Sri, need your opinion, do you think high density (keep pruning the trees and maintain a certain size of the tree) is better of say a spacing of 10 mtr x 10 mtr (and let the tree grow huge, and do some little pruning) ?

i have a mango farm, with about 10 mtr x 10 mtr mango trees, and they are about 7 yrs young now. so i am planning to immediately pay attention to them, and take some short term, high value crop inbetween the mangoes.

or do u think i should plant more mango trees in the free space available and opt for high density? a long term project.
i have limited resources and can manage the short crops. so which would u suggest?

Vivek

Sri, i took rice inbetween the mangoes, just finished with getting the rice cleaned and polished.
then in another section i have pigeon peas (toor dal)

next i am planning to prepare land immediately and grow wheat, and some exotic crops i told earlier.

help me decide what to do with the free space available, inbetween the mango trees.

Vivek

Yes. Keeping the mango trees less than 7-8 feet tall makes it easier to control them. The biggest advantage is size of the fruit will be same. Almost 90%. This save time in grading.
Mangoes are sprayed with cultar (Paclobutrazol). When you spray this dwarf trees the effect is more. See a video of HD plantion in English.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIclJPs4ME

I feel it is best combination. You can also think of velvetbeans. which is a maintaince free crop. 3-4 quintals of yield and 6500/-quintal is the revenue.

By the way I have never seen a mango + rice combination. Are you using Aerobic method or SRI method for rice?

Also you must read Sri Palekars 5 layer model. It is Vol 5.

Sri,
is it right that more fruits are formed on the new shootings in mangoes? meaning, if we prune, and the new shoots which develop will have more fruits comparatively to the old ones?

do u think if i prune the big trees, and keep chopping the old and useless stems, that would be good?
my trees are pretty big, so why not i use the huge network of already developed stems and prune them?
about the sorting, i provably will give the produce to a contractor, so thats his headache :stuck_out_tongue: i just want more produce. so i am improving the soil quality and the level by 1-2" (adding Poita-soil from damn) plus i am adding a huge amount of manure arround the trees.

and sri, i have limited knowledge that too limited till capsicum. and i have read a lot on farmnest about the gentlemen named Palekar. i am yet to get my hands on his books/documents.

i just have a lot of free land inbetween my mangoes, so i keep growing different crops inbetween them. and i seriously have grown rice twice inbetween the mangoes. maybe different practise in our region.

i am going to get the 5 layer model book you have suggested, and be back to trouble you again.

Vivek

Yes. You are right. The branches already fruited will have acumulation of oxalic acid and… I am not remembering the other chemical name. These branches have to be pruned in october. This will increase the yield. I dont term it as useless branches. Pruning will increase stem girth at fater rate.

No it is not a good idea to prune now. if the spacing is less then you can do it.

If you search you tube you will get few videos also see below link for introduction of Sri.Palekar.
palekarzerobudgetspiritualfarming.org/

For Mango Plantation you go for UHD (Ultra High Density) Plantation. If you contact us we will mail the Details of of UHD plantation of Mngo

Organic practices for increasing mango yield
Mango trees respond well to organic manure applications. Organic manures such as vermicompost,panchagavyaand vermiwash are used for promoting healthy tree growth and fruit formation.
Essential nutrients
From the initial planting stages to caring of full-grown trees, Panchagavya and vermicompost can be effectively used to supply essential nutrients to the trees and prevent pest infestations, according to Dr. S. Sundaravadivel, Vermitechnologist and Environmentalist based in Chennai. Vermicompost is prepared by using earthworms. Vermiwash is the liquid collected after the passage of water through a column of activated earthworms. It is very useful as an organic spray for all crops.
Pestrepellent
Panchagavya is an organic growth promoter, which is prepared by mixing cow dung, cow urine, cow’s milk, curd and ghee in suitable proportions, and is sprayed on the plants. It contains several macro, micronutrients, beneficial bacteria and fungi, which aid in growth promotion and act as effective pest repellents.
It can be prepared by thoroughly mixing five kilos of fresh cow dung and one litre of cow’s ghee in a plastic or cement tank or earthen pot. The mixture is stirred daily for three to four days.“About three litres of cow’s milk, two litres of cow’s curd, three litres of sugarcane juice, three litres of tender coconut water and 10 to12 bananas are mixed well and added to the mixture. The entire concoction is allowed to ferment for fifteen days,” said Dr. S. Sundaravadivel.
The container should be covered with a net (or) cotton cloth to allow aeration of the fermenting unit, according to him. The concoction is stirred two or three times a day for about fifteen days and then used. For mango trees of about 6-7 years age, vermicompost may be applied at the rate of 10 kilograms per tree and one litre ofpanchagavyadiluted in 30 litres of water may be sprayed over the foliage (crown) and at the base of the tree. Spraying Panchagavya over the crown and at the base of the tree must be done four to five times, according to Dr. Sundaravadivel. The first spraying must be done before the flowering season (January-March) to increase flower formation.
A second spraying must be done after 15-20 days. The process must be repeated till the flowers turn into small sized buds. Once the buds start forming then the application can be done once a month, according to him. Use of Panchagavya and vermicompost has been found to increase the size, number and enhance the colour of the fruits.
Recommended practice
The recommended practice for one hectare of mango trees is about 25 litres of panchagavya (mixed in 750-800 litres of water) and four to five tonnes of vermicompost. Spraying panchagavya has been found effective in the control of fruit fly menace, a common infestation in all fruit bearing trees, according to Dr. Sundaravadivel. According to him, trees treated with organic manures bore large sized leaves and formed a dense canopy with profuse rooting systems. The taste and shelf life of the fruits were also found to be more satisfactory.
Nitrogen-fixing bacteria
"The interaction of the root hairs of these trees with the organic manures also increased the activity of the nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil.
“The organic manures also act as a carrier medium for the development of several beneficial micro organisms such asazospirillum, azotobacter, rhizobium and phosphobacteria,” he said. Dr. S. Sundaravadivel can be reached by mobile at 98843-90104 ,and email: sundaravadivel66@hotmail.com.

6.Alphonso mango ideal for organic farming
Alphonso, the king of mango varieties, does well under organic farming conditions in Kanchipuram and Thiruvallur districts of Tamil Nadu, and its full potential should be exploited by the small and marginal farmers in the districts, says Mr. S. S. Nagarajan, Vice President (Agricultural Research), TAFE (Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited), Chennai.
An authority on mango cultivation, and a pioneer in establishing the largest Rumani' orchard in Kanchipuram district at J-Farm’, Kelambakkam, Mr. Nagarajan has successfully demonstrated the promises held out by the superior mango variety Alphonso'. "After working with Rumani’ variety in the last thirty five years, I shifted my focus to Alphonso' variety in 1998, and it has done exceedingly well in the farm. It responded favourably to drip irrigation and organic inputs, and yielded high quality sweet fruits of attractive aroma," explains Mr. Nagarajan.In about 0.8 hectares in J-Farm’ he planted 140 Alphonso grafts got from a nursery in Dharmapuri district. This variety is suited for high density planting, and it will make up for the low yields in the initial few years of bearing.
The regular bearing commences from the ninth or tenth year of planting," he points out. Every young plant was regularly manured in August with liberal quantities of ripe farmyard manure along with 400 g each of Azospirillum and Phosphobacterium. Drip irrigation to provide 25 litres of water per tree per day was established. All other regular orchard practices such as clipping the sprouts below the graft union, weeding and hoeing in the basins, and ploughing the interspaces and plant protection with eco-friendly botanical insecticides were adopted.
"During the first five years Daincha was raised as rainfed crop, and ploughed in situ as an organic nutrient supplement. Groundnut was grown as an irrigated crop in the interspaces, and haulms were incorporated in to the soil as green leaf manure. Of the 140 trees, 112 trees started yielding in the fifth year after planting, and on an average each tree yielded about 70 fruits each weighing about 250 g. In all about 2000 kg fruits were harvested and it fetched Rs. 12 per kg at the farm gate. The gross income in the first year of bearing is Rs. 24,000, and the cost of cultivation in the first five years worked out to Rs. 24,000’‘, he said.
“The quality of the fruits were of superior quality, and they were sweet and free of spongy tissues. The results were quite encouraging,” says Mr. Nagarajan. The trees would yield as high as 3000 kg from the 0.8 hectares from the sixth year of planting, and it would fetch a handsome profit to the growers. As the tree grows, the yield will go up, and a thirty year-old tree would produce as much as 2500 quality fruits, according to him. `J-Farm’ has perfected the organic farming practices for raising Alphonso mango, and the farmers should benefit from it, according to him. Farmers, however, should avoid using chemical fertilizers and fruiting hormones to get quick returns from the variety, as they may prove harmful in the long run, he says “Alphonso is an excellent variety for export and if grown organically, its value in the export market will go up significantly,” explains Mr. Nagarajan.
Source :link: agritech.tnau.ac.in/org_farm/org … ories.html

MANNE.SN,
Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com,
Hyderabad.