The name itself is pretty self-explanatory. A rain gun is a sprinkler irrigation system that showers like rain and is also called a big sprinkler or water gun. Rain guns can move in half or full circle at the same speed due to the use of gear technology in them. It can be used to irrigate any crop Ex. Wheat, Maize, Sugarcane, Cotton, Bajara, Groundnut, Chilli, Onion, Potato, Tea, Coffee, etc. In addition, it is very useful for large Play-grounds, Golf courses, and Lawns.
As the name implies the pressurized water through the Rain gun is used to irrigate the crop. It has the advantage of sprinkler irrigation along with water usage economy.
Difference between rain guns and small sprinklers
Rain gun is a large area covering sprinklers. Generally replacing 8 to 10 small sprinklers as per the model chosen. Therefore, reducing the labor required to great extent in shifting sprinklers in the farm area.
It has a choice to use fully or partly automatic circle rotation. In addition, it gives you a droplet size management mechanism for optimum working under windy conditions.
A Single Rain Gun can cover an area of one acre by sprinkling from one position within 2-3 hours only. With the portable installation, you can cover the entire farm by moving the system. In other words, you can say that these are high-performance impact sprinklers. Also, it is designed for a variety of applications where relatively high flows and an extended radius of the throw are desired.
A rain gun may be permanent or portable. In a permanent rain gun, the gun riser stands permanently fixed on the pipeline network. Cement concrete block surrounds riser for support. However in a portable rain gun, the entire pipeline network along with the gun riser stand, can be shifted from one location to another. One rain gun can cover up to 4 hectares (10 acres) of land. In conclusion, it saves around 30 to 50 percent of water in different crops. Usually, it takes one and half hours to irrigate 0.50 acres.
Low water application efficiencies at the field level must be improved to overcome the shortage of water. In other words improvement in application efficiencies will reduce the problem of waterlogging and salinity. Therefore, it is important to develop techniques to use the available resources of irrigation water more efficiently during field application.
Adopting pressurized irrigation systems like Rain gun sprinkler irrigation can increase application efficiency. However, this system is expensive and difficult to operate by common farmers. Studies have shown that well-designed and well-managed surface irrigation systems have comparable application efficiencies to those of the pressurized system. Therefore, it is important to improve surface irrigation systems and their management. Therefore, you can increase application efficiency without lowering crop,
- Heavy-duty construction using high-tech composite materials.
- Most suitable for a variety of climates like tropical, temperate, and humid climates.
- Extraordinary operations at all pressure levels work smoothly and uniformly.
- Light in weight and easy to install. In conclusion, lesser weight puts less stress on irrigation system structures.
- Maintenance-free, self-lubricating sealed bearing.
- Suitable for both solid set field irrigation and mechanically moved.
- Available in a full circle & part circle.
- It saves more than 50% of the water used by flood irrigation.
- This saves labor.
- It saves electricity. In the future, if farm motors come under unit rating, It will save nearly 75% of the electricity. As a result, it increases the life of the motor/pump.
- As 1⁄2 acre could be irrigated within 1 1⁄2 hours, the total area irrigated per day nearly doubles. For instance, if a farmer cultivates 5-acre sugarcane with flood irrigation, he can cultivate 10 acres of land by using Rain Gun with the very same availability of water and pump.
- Highly Efficient Portable System
- Long enduring and maintenance-free
- Lightweight, sturdy, and easy to shift.
- Uniform sprinkling with the condition to calibrate droplet size and rainfall rate, suitable to all soils and crops.
- Quick fit accessories for connecting to PVC or G.I. or HDPE main lines.
- Rain Gun Sprinkler System provide early sowing & better germination of seedling through optimum moisture condition of soil.
- Liquid fertilizer quickly applied over large areas. Therefore, it saves on fertilizer quantity; foliar application hence results in good yield.
- Reduces labor and pipeline cost
- It reduces pest and insect attacks
- This lessens the irrigation time and saves diesel
- Rain gun sprinklers operate at different pressures, rotating at a uniform speed, and can be adjusted to cover part or full circle.
- Prevents salination caused due to over-irrigation thus maintaining soil productivity
- In flood irrigation, more than 75% of the water goes as percolation loss (say 25% of water is available at E.R.D). In any agriculture, the topsoil is more fertile (for this only we apply fertilizers and manures). However, Rain Gun irrigate only up to the E.R.D, there is no percolation loss or leaching.
- This irrigation technique plays the role of Nitrogen fixation. As we know Nitrogen is one of the major nutrient that plants requires. Atmospheric air contains 78% nitrogen. As our Rain Gun resembles Rain, the water dissolves the nitrogen from the air and gives it to the soil, thereby adding nutritive value to soil. In conclusion, it results in increased yield.
- Pests and insects get washed away during Rain Gun irrigation. Therefore, Rain gun reduces pest and insects.
- Uniformity in irrigation.
- In flood irrigation, farmers usually open the delivery at one corner of the field and it goes to the next corner and entire field by gravity. For well-grown sugarcane fields, farmers are unable to go and inspect if the entire field gets uniformity in irrigation. However, in Rain Gun irrigation, the uniformity of the entire field is ensured.
- Easier application of fertilizer and pesticides.
- In well-grown sugarcane, farmer feels very hard to spray in the interior field. Fertilizers and pesticides easily sprayed with the help of fertilizer tank and venture assembly. It does not require labor for that.
- Large numbers of trees make it difficult to sprinkle uniformly.
- The rain gun and the raiser pipes are very heavy.
- High daytime temperatures result in evaporation loss.
- Not suitable in areas with high-velocity Winds.
- The prohibitive cost of rain guns.
- Repairs by qualified personnel
- Agriculture Rain gun Irrigation System is also useful for other kinds of fields.
- It is Applicable in Sugarcane, Ground Nut, Maize, Wheat, Grams & Pulses
- Tea estates & Coffee plantation
- Dust Suppression, Green Pastures, Sports Field & Golf Courses
For further details, visit: https://dripwala.com/index.php/2021/07/09/rain-gun-sprinkler-irrigation-systems/