Quinoa crop Cultivation - My story

Hi all … I am growing Quinoa in India ( MAharashtra ) . would like to sahre my observations
I have adopted very simple and traditional methods.
Done sowing of White Quinoa .
Sowing done on 2 different Dates …
Different observations on these two crops …
Adapted different Irregation techniques
Applied Split fertilization with two different fertlizer
Till now very good results and observation
Please wath my video and photographs
Please watch this video
I am garhering my observation in order to share this with you all…
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEo7imo8sl8

1 Like

Hi Manoj,
Can you please share some information on

1. Market for this crop?
  2. Where can we sell this in India?
  3. Who will be the potential buyer locally?
  4. What is the price?

Thanks,
Murali

Sir if u answer here even other farmnest members will benefit from it, that too not only just now but many more years to come.
Just a humble request.

Hi friends,
There are many misconception about quinoa growing methods. I have been doing
different experiments since August 2014 and have finally started commercial farming
this year from Nov 2015.
Gathered several observations and finally listed down the best practices to grow quinoa.

My observations are mainly on following areas

1. Sowing time / period.
  2. Sowing method
  3. Pre emerging care.
  4. Post emerge care
  5. Soil preparation
  6. Irrigation schedule
  7. Fertilization method and schedule
  8. Periodic observation and plant growth details
  9. Crop density.
  10. Wedding techniques
  11. Weeding schedule
  12. Effects of heavy rain.
  13. Disease and pest attack observation
  14. Photos

I am preparing a handbook once my crop is ready in march 2015.

Please wathc this video of my Quinoa Farm - 68 days old plants …

youtube.com/watch?v=cMx7pAgMoJM

[quote=manojl.upadhyaya]
… and have finally started commercial farming this year from Nov 2015. [/quote]

Wow, a message from the future!

Joke aside, good to see Quinoa being cultivated in India. Each time I see a hefty price tag to a Quinoa package in a store I wonder when will it start being cultivated in India and whether someone is already doing it. Keep us posted!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oki1NH_lD … e=youtu.be
watch this video from my quinoa farm

latest video from my quinoa farm.

youtube.com/watch?feature=em-up … 58q3SVPtGQ

Who Am I?
I am a software engineer and currently working as a Manager in a big IT services company in India. I am from an agriculture background family. But never put any effort or keen interest in farming.
I belong to a place called Paratwada (Dist. Amravati) from Maharashtra state. The region which is famous for oranges but at the same time making entry in Indian media for unfortunate event of farmers committing suicide due to non-profitable farming , debts etc.
This made me to think about what the educated people can contribute in terms of coming up with ideas for profitable farming, innovative farming, new areas in farming, something out of the box.
Mobile 09850597704 email manojl.upadhyaya@gmail.com

Fiinally I have come up with Quinoa farming guide.

About this Guide
This reference guide based on my own experiences with quinoa farming and I hope it will be helpful to all. May this guide should serve the purpose of providing right path for quinoa cultivation and may this bring success to all of us.

This document covers following aspect of quinoa farming and cultivation which are based on my experiences.

• Soil selection
• Farm bed preparation
• Sowing Method
• Fertilization schedule
• Irrigation schedule
• Plant growth.
• Periodic observations Insects and pests control
• Weeding schedule
• Crop cutting
• threshing and Seed separation
• Financial aspect
• Assumption and desclaimers
• Miscellaneous and references

What did I do?
My search has accidently introduced me with Quinoa while watching a TV show about recepies. The host was making a quinoa dish and at the same time passed on little but very interesting information about quinoa.

I decided to surrender myself to Google search engine and get more information about quinoa grain.

After going through the available information on Google I decided to at least start experiments on quinoa farming. But only challenge and barrier was about seeds availability.
Tried at least for 4 months to procure seeds. Communicated with people in USA, Turkestan, and India and many more. And finally could procure seeds from somewhere in Andhra Pradesh

I started experiment in small pots in my flat balcony, my native place bungalow, and front yard, back yard, in nursery bags and on play grounds.
Experimented plantation technique and direct sowing techniques.
Experimented deferred irrigation, heavy irrigation, very low irrigation and without irrigation.
Performed experiments in winter season, summer season and rainy season
I have gathered and recorded all the inputs.
These experiments were performed for duration of one year.

After analyzing all the data collected, I was able to derive the best practices for quinoa farming.

Once getting assured about the best practice for quinoa farming, I have started actual quinoa farming in 2 acre land and got a decent success in my venture.

Summerising my experience in this document with the hope that it will prove helpful for all thoses who are interested in quinoa farming.

"I started experiment in small pots in my flat balcony, my native place bungalow, and front yard, back yard, in nursery bags and on play grounds.
Experimented plantation technique and direct sowing techniques.
Experimented deferred irrigation, heavy irrigation, very low irrigation and without irrigation.
Performed experiments in winter season, summer season and rainy season
I have gathered and recorded all the inputs.
These experiments were performed for duration of one year. "

I really liked your approach towards the research, and looking forward for the details you mentioned.

I am not sure about the indexing of Farmnest, but my guess is it would be helpful for search engines (both external / internal) to capture better if available in the form of text.

[Edited by moderator after merge]

Dear manojl.upadhyaya,

Thank you for the update. Do you plan on posting the guide? You could use the attachment functionality if so.

Also, post all your Quinoa updates only on this thread, please.

Whoever want quinoa guide and consultation and seeds please call [removed by moderator]

Consultations and advertisements don’t belong to the forum, please do not spam the forum.
Please be upfront about your expectations and use the advertisement section instead.