Present status of bacterial blight ( Xanthomonas ) on pomegranate farming

Dear forum members, I am a farmer growing diffarent crops. I want to know the present status of the discease BACTERIAL BLIGHT (Xanthomonas) on pomegranate plants. The information is not only for me but for all our farmer members. You all may accept with me that though India is sceond biggest grower of pomegranate in the world, we are not even in the first 10 countries to export quality pomegranates and lot of future is there for pomegranate. Recently I have visited few farms near hirayur,chitradurga etc and found some pomegranate farms doing very well without having the bacterial blight problem and some are suffering and lost/loosing their pomegranate crops. Some are following semi Organic practices and some are following Inorganic (chemical farming )cultural practices .Success and failures found in all the practices. Now may I and also on behalf of our farm members, request the Scientists,experienced pomegranate farmers all, following organic,semi organic and also chemical farming, to give/state the present status of the bacterial blight (xanthomonas ) on pomegranate crop in karnataka, ap, maharashtra, whether any pesticides,bio-pesticides are doing well/controlling the blight,and/or any cultural practices are doing well. if so please eloborate. Requesting pesticide company executives also to inform if any pesticides, organic/chemical are released and performing well against bacterial blight (xanthomonas) . I hope this information not only help me , but also to most of our farmers intersted in going/practicing pomegranate farming. Apart from all the above I want to put a request to all experts in pomegranate farming that this may help not only to our farmers but also to our country as all we can produce good quality exportable pomegranates for domestic consumption and our indian nation also gets sufficient foreign currency. gprao,farmnest forum member.

dear forum members and / or any experts, any pomegranate growing farmers, pl inform me whether the pomegranate discease affects the pomegranate crop (xanthomonas ) bacterial blight is controlable.if so pl explin me the methods and treatment.Any organic bio pesticides are active on this discease and controlling it.if so pl inform us.

Dear forum members,Horti/agri professors and Organic natural farming experts, a request as a farmer, as a forum member and as a well wisher of pomegranate farming community/need of the exports required for our country, " what is the present status of the discease control for bacterial blight (xanthomonas ) in pomegranate farming in south india. Is it a discease beyond control or it a discease which is curable. If so what is the treatment ." May i request the experts,experienced pomegranate farmers to come open, express their views and remidies about the bacterial blight discease of pomegranate. Further to say , one of our forum member has given one web sight showing the list of natural farmers who are following natural farming ,by sri subhash palekar, who were growing pomegranates in natural farming. I have contacted some of those farmers and asked about the discease.It is learnt that the said discease could not be controlled and they have removed the plantations. None of them, whom i have contacted are having knowledge about the control of this discease. Now i have visited several pomegranate plantations in and around sira,hirayur,chitra durga,rayachoti,ananthapur,madakasira etc,who are mostly growing Bhagwa variety pomegranate,and they are getting mixed results in all variety farmings(chemical,organic and natural ).Some are getting the crop successfully,some farmers crops were failed due to bacterial blight. Once again i request all of you that if there is a meaning in my questioning about the information on fighting the discease of pomegranate bacterial blight(xanthomonas),please answer and help the pomegranate farming community of india. gprao,farmer.

Rao garu,

If you see the book of Palekarji (Five layers), he doesn’t encourage Bhagua variety and he says its very sensitive to diseases because of the red color of the fruit and the seeds. Infact he doesn’t seem to be happy with the current city people who just go by the color and looks and not by the nutrients.

Dear Seshu sir, thank you for your comments. Has shri subhas palekar sir recommend any other variety other than bhagwa, if so pl tell the variety. Upto my knowledge, the bhagwa variety is only a selection variety ,but not any hybrid variety pomegranate, invented by any institute. The officials of maharashtra pomegranate growers association , in their web site stated, and some proffessors of MPKV, rahuri says that Bhagwa is a very resistant variety. It is learnt that in organic farming , the pomegranate farming is good, and chances of getting good crop is very much practical. Any how I want to do pomegranate farming in organic way and i will let you know the results in a couple of years. thanking you sir, g.p.rao,farmer.

Sir,

I am planning to go for Organic Pomegranate farming in my 10 acres. Planning for plantation in July end or first week of Aug near Bellary, Karnataka.

if you have already planted I need your suggestions.

Please reply to this thread or email me @ halli.gururaj@gmail.com

I am growing pomegranate since 7 years…(techie turned Aggie). I suggest not to go for any commercial nursery for saplings… visit any good orchard and from their you can procure healthy ones… healthy plants are key to success in pomegranate farming

. regards
Shankar reddy
Raichur .Karnataka.

Dear GP Rao Sir,

Hope this finds you well.

It has been a while that you did not post any thing on your experience with Pomegranate farming.

How is it going?. Were you successful in handling the Bacterial Blight ?

Please let me know any good practices you are following.

Thanks

Venu Kulkarni

Dear Sri Venukulakarni,

I am trying to do pomegranate farming and wishing to do it with Organic method.
Unfortunately, I could not get a suitable land. I am in my trial and hope, I will plant Bhagwa/Wonderful variety pomegranate in Organic Method and got confidence, that it will be good. Hope Almighty supports me at this age.

Bacterial blight is now well controllable with system developped by NRCP, solapur, Maharashtra, which is a combination of Antibiotics and Bio pesticides application.

Psuedo monas along with COC, and Carbendizum, antibiotics is giving good results. Have confidence that with the above system, if organic method is correctly implimented, we will get still good results.

It is an universal fact that Bhagwa is one of the best variety for our conditions and an universally accepted variety Internationally ( even more than Wonderful pomegranate variety )

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Hi GP Rao Sir,

Thanks for your quick reply

Do you have any documentation/videos on system developped by NRCP, solapur, Maharashtra, for controlling Bacterial Blight and organic practices ?

Thanks

Venu Kulkarni

Dear Sri Venu kulkarni,

You can ask in google search about " Ambe Bahar crop " or “Hastha Bahar crop” or “Mrig Bahar crop” , NRCP, Solapur. Full details of the crop can be had from them, which shows day to day activities to be followed from the begining of the crop. exactly followed, chances are bright to get a good healthy crop. If you could not, pl send some one to me in bengaluru, and i will hand over literature, for which crop you want

These are the facts came to know for Horticulture scientists in observations.

single crop ( mono cropping ) of Pomegranate variety Bhagwa, covering around 80% areas under pomegranate in India, Which is most susceptible to Bacterial Blight. another, In absence of availability of resistant commercial cultivars to Bacterial Blight.

None of the bactericides give complete control and are more effective as prophylactic only.
advisable, Regulating rainy season crop, which is most conducive for Bacterial Blight disease spource development.

Taking continuous production and also crops from tender plants, allowing more fruits from pomegranate orchards without rest period, leading to loss of plant vigour and making it vulnerable to Bacterial Blight disease.

because of too many unwanted sprays (every alternate day/ 10 or more sprays/month) as advised by dealers and unqualified consultants; this provided much needed water for spread rapid multiplication doing of the Bacterial Blite pathogen

Also Poor soil health and imbalanced plant nutrition

Mostly spraying non-standard Antibiotics/bactericides being used were spurious or with lower/undeclared active ingredient contents.

when the plants are weakened due to any said or other reasons, plant will be weakened and pathogens attack will be easy.

Due to above, all/some reasons, pomegranate crop is getting damaged with Bacterial blight.

Up to my knowledge, situation is better compared to previous few years and Xantho monas is little less, for well maintained plantations. We, farmers have to congratulate NRCP scientists for doing nice work on control of Xantho monas .

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Thank you Rao Sir for the information.

Rams sir, do you want to add/comment.

Sri Sir, Would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks

Venu Kulkarni