PRECISION FARMING IN BRINJAL to get 150 MT /acre/year- ATTENTION Mr.GURU

Mr.Guru prasad …

Here I am posting technical matters of precision farming for hybrid brinjal as you needed …Any clarification you may post your queries …
PRECISION FARMING IN BRINJAL TO GET 150 MT PER ACRE

Step 1: Quality nursery produced in shade net house .Shade net description is 50 % and sides are covered with insect proof nylon net.
Step 2: use portray of 98 cells ( 54 * 27 Cms ) of of 3.5 cm dia and 0.8 mm thickness . 80 protrays are needed to raise seedlings to cover one acre field , roughly about 7500 plants at the spacing of 90 cms* 60 cms * 75 cms in a paired row system.
Step 3 :growing medium: Sterilized cocopeat @ 100 kgs per acre mixed with 2 kgs neemcake and 0.4 kg each Azospirillum and phosphobacteria .
Step 4: seed treatment : 80 grams of seeds required for one acre coverage . Treat the seeds with pseudomonas florescens and Azospirillum @ 1 gram and 20 grams respectively .
Step 5: sowing : treated seeds are sown in portray @ one seed per cell , covered with cocopeat , trays are kept one above other and covered with polythene sheets till germination starts.After 6 days germinated portrays are individually placed on the raised bed in shade net , watering is done twice a day with rose can , panchagavya @ 3 % is sprayed on 15 th day of sowing ,19:19:19+MN fertilizers @0.5 % solution is drenched using rose can at 18 th days after sowing.
35 days old seedlings are transplanted in the main field
Step 6: Drip system with inline drippers are used for vegetables spaced at 5 feet interval
The drippers with specification of 4 LPH are placed at 60 cms interval or 3.5 LPH @ 50 cms interval.
Step 7: Planting system and population maintenance
Ploughing ; 4 times , chisel and disc plow each one time and cultivator twice
During last plowing apply 10 MT of FYM
75 % of recommended dose of Super phosphate ie, 280 kgs applied as basal dose
Azospirillum and phosphobacteria each 0.8 kgs along with 20 kgs of FYM and 40 kgs of neem cake is apllied before last plowing
Either T.viride or Pseudomonas @ 1 kg is applied along with 40 kgs of FYM before last ploughing
Riased bed of 4 feet width is formed at an interval of one foot interval and drip line is placed at the centre of each bed
Step 8: Before planting beds are wetted by running drippers for 8 to 12 hours
Pre emergence weedicide @ 1.2 lit per acre is sprayed before transplanting when the soil is moist using high volume sprayer
35 days old seedlings are dipped in 0.5% solution of pseudomonas flouresens for 30 min and then transplanted in the main field in the spacing of 906075 cms in paired row system using ropes …
One row of African marigold seedlings of 40 days old are planted @ one row for every 16 rows of brinjal seedlings …
Gap filling is to be done at 7 th days of planting so as to maintain required population
Step 9 : Fertigation techniques :
Recommended dose -80:60:40 kgs of NPK per acre out of which 75 % was applied as basal dose in the forms of super phosphate . so fertigation is done with 80:15:40 KGS OF NPK in terms of below water soluble fertilizers and given once in 3 days interval as scheduled in the attached photocopy …
19 all = 32 kgs
13:0:45 = 76 kgs
12:61:0 = 15 kgs
Urea = 136 kgs
Step 10 : Intercultivation : Foliar spray of pseudomonas @ 0.5 % at 15 days interval for 6 times
Triacontanol 250 ml mixed in 200 lit water ( 0.25 ppm ) is sprayed 15 and 30 th days after plant9ing
Planofix @ 50 ml in 200 lit water ( 0.25 ppm ) is prayed on 45 , 60 and 90 th day
Micronutrient mixture @ 1 g /lit ( 0.1%) is sprayed two times at 40 th and 80 th day after planting
19 :19:19 +MN @ 1% ( 10 grams/lit ) is sprayed at 60 days after planting
Step 11: Harvesting and post harvest management
Harvest at fully matured stage . you can get 90 % first grade quality brinjal fruits …

As live fencing you either plant sesbania tree or melia dubia to act as wind break during heavy winds …

The aged couple ( seen in the attachment ) are my farmers when I was working as horticultural officer …I arranged bank loan of Rs.50,000 for this couple towards farmer contribution to the precision farming scheme and the rest was govt susbsidy …Water soluble fertilizers and seeds were supplied free of cost …These couple were happy to harvest bumper crop of brinjal round the year …

wow,what a detailed project you have presented.hats off to you.please write more such articles about other crops as well.

Thanks a ton sir :slight_smile: .
I will go through the details and post my queries, if any.

Regards

Guru

Dear Ramu sir,

Please find below my queries. Kindly advise:

• Kindly upload one more photo of the First Picture which depicts fertilizer schedule.

• What is the Brinjal Variety name and where can we get quality seeds?

• When is the best time in the year to start the nursery for brinjal?

• What should be the height of the bed?

• What should be the distance between two plants in the same row and between two rows on the same bed (I could not understand 90x75x60 cms)?

• After 35 days, how to dip the seedlings in pseudomonas solution i.e., whether to remove the seedlings from protray and dipped in solution? Only roots to be dipped or entire seedling for 30 minutes?

• How many days will it take to get first harvest?

I have attached the layout with question marks wherever I could not understand. Kindly educate.

Thanks & Regards

Guru
+91 9620944466

Dear Mr.Guru

I could not respond to you in time as I was away on training …Regarding your queries

The spacing 90 CMS* 60 CMS * 75 CMS…

The distance between paired rows 90 CMS, the distance between rows in the raised bed is 60 CMS and distance between plants in the rows is 75 CMS …

The distance between laterals in 150 CMS

The name of the brinjal is EBH …Any other hybrids too can be cultivated but EBH is preferred in the market by consumers

The height of the raised bed is one foot

The 35 days old brinjal seedlings will have well developed roots in protray …It will have formed like a root mat in cocopeat medium …when you slightly sprinkle water over the the protray and bend and flex the protray the seedlings will come up with cake like root mass …it wont break …Either you can dip the root mass in the psudomonas solution or better you can spray the solution over the seedlings before pulling up for transplanting …the consideration is that when you dip the seedlings in pseudomonas solution the quantity of solution will be needed less .If you sprinkle the solution over the plant you may need comparatively more quantity …that makes the difference but dipping is best …

First harvest will be ready by around 50 to 55 days and the harvest continue round the year …

Though Brinjal is sown 2 times in a year ,say June - July and January and February , the technology has made sowing anytime in a year .However it is advisable to avoid planting in extreme summer or when temperate is too high around 40 degree celsius…

Regarding photocopies of fertigation schedule I will send you one clear copy through private mail …

Dear Ramu sir,

Heartfelt Thanks.

Best Regards

Guru

Thank You Mr. Guru. Appreciate the detailed way in which you have presented it.

Regards,
Srini

Hi Ramu

Appreciate your work for posting this topic about brinjal.
I have few queries ,
-From where to arrange these hybrid seed,company name
-cost per seed or per kg
-how feasable it is to graft roots as done in link
timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city … 195541.cms
-whats the mean price this crop get in market

Thanks & Regards
devilosta

Dear friend

Thank you for your link…It is absolutely successful technique that grafted seedlings hold promise in disease free production and high yield .Already one particular private chinese company is doing this practise and running successful…you can sure adopt grafting techniue

Dear Ramu sir,

I read the TOI article on success of disease resistant brinjal through grafting technique shared by Mr. Devilosta.
For the benefit myself and similar naives in the forum who are following this thread religiously, may I kindly request you to educate us on grafting technique and how it can be practically practised by a farmer in step-by-step approach.

Thanks & Best regards

Guru

Dear friend
1.First of all Grafting is nothing but fusion of scion of one plant ( Upper vegetative shoot part ) and Root stock of another plant ( Bottom part bearing roots ) into one single plant …For grafting first necessary condition is compatibility of two different plants ie, the tissue of two plants must join together in grafting like what is happening in human being…This compatibility exist among the plants belonging to same species or same family as noted in taxonomic classification
2.Coming to point , the Egg plants belong to solanaceae family .so one egg plant may be grafted with other egg plant or one egg plant may be grafted with another Tomato plant because tomato also belongs to salanaceae family …
3.The scion is selected in such a way that the cultivar intended to be grown should have potential to give higher yield because yield is determined mainly by varietal character controlled by genes and root stock should be selected in such a way that it is resistant to diseases , single or multiple resistant because vegetable plants are susceptible to the attack of virulent pathogens like fusarium , verticillium and nematodes like melloidogyne ( root knot nematode ) and some extent it should be tolerant to abiotic stress likely to be caused by excessive heat/ temperature and cold temperatures…
4.The principle behind the success of grafted egg plant is the root stock which is resistant to pathogens’ attack and abiotic stress produce more roots ( Rizosphere ) that is acting like mouth for plants .So because of enhanced root volume the plant will take more water , more nutrients and will keep supplying to other parts of the plants .Due to more water and more nutrients uptake the Egg plant will produce more flowers and more numbers of bigger sized fruits .
5.Also the root stock will secrete some type of chemicals that we call it Allelopathic chemicals that suppress the growth and proliferation of pathogenic micro organisms in the soil . Natural control of disease . It is the reason why grated plants are mostly used in organic cultivation since it avoids the use of synthetic poisonous fungicide for crop protection.
6.The grafted egg plants produce fruits which are bigger in size than that produced in non grafted plants .And since the grated plants sustain disease and nematode attack and abiotic stress the plant life is automatically extended due to enhanced vigour of the plant …
7. Further the fusion/ grafted part of the plan is reported to trigger hormonal signal that makes the egg plant to grow faster.
8.But Research says that the yield increase is only due to increased flowering and fruit size but no appreciable changes either in soluble sugar , or vitamin C or carotenoid level or protein level that is largely determined by genetic character / innate quality and can not be influenced by grafting or techniques similar to that …
9.Grafting is mainly followed in areas where vegetables are grown as monocrop year after year without crop rotation and in green house conditions…
10.In other locations where such disease incidence is rare , no need to use grafted plants …It is enough if you just choose right variety of vegetable that is high yielding and right agronomic practices that take care of plant nutrition and water requirement and most important season …You should take into account the cost of grafted plants that adds to cost of production of egg plants…But you can use grafted plants where ever disease incidence and stress condition prevails …

For example in North India the Nematode problems are acute where as in South India the nematode incidence is not as much problem as in North India …It is a minor pest in south India and Major pest in North India…Because North India climatically differs from South India .The winter is more severe there in North …
So the grafting techniques are much older concept but it is new to India as for as Vegetable crops are concerned…
But as you asked for step by step grafting procedure , you need to set up infrastructure to undertake grafting work like screen house, Grafting equipment like clips, tubes, pins,healing chambers and acclimatization chambers to produce healthy grated plants without mortality …

Dear Ramu sir,

I am taken over by wonder with the way you make botany sound so simple to understand to a common man. I salute you sir.

With the details you provided, I understand that grafting can be adopted but with considerable requisite infrastructure which amounts to quite an additional investment like healing chambers, acclimatization chambers etc. Therefore, to a normal farmer, it seems to be rather more convenient to buy the grafted plants.

• Can you please name any such facilities who provide grafted egg plants in south India?
  • And would there be a considerable margin on return on investment if a farmer goes with grafted plants vis-a-vis non-grafted plants especially in South India?

I read an article by The Hindu regarding grafting of “Sundaikai” with egg plant (below if the weblink). What is “Sundaikai” plant called in English (Devil plant?)? Is someone already into grafting with “Sundaikai”? If yes, please share the details in case if you know.
thehindu.com/news/cities/Tir … 296458.ece

Also, I stumbled upon the below interesting resource on grafting of egg plant with Devil Plant. Hope it helps to those who are new to grafting.
deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-in … vil-plant/

Thanks

Guru

Yes Mr.Guru …

The article appearing in Hindu is suggesting same concept of grafting …You can practice this technique in community nursery where you can join other like minded people to set up production unit and can share the grafts among yourselves and any excess grafts may also be sold to other Brinjal farmers …If you are interested you can do this …But this techniques were innovated in early 1920 in Japan and korea …It is too late for us to understand …what we are discussing in terms of new findings or innovations here is actually very old techniques except those area of innovations that result from emerging field of bio technology .

You might have heard of Pomato plant = Potato + Tomato . The single plant Pomato bears potato below ground and tomato above ground Tomato and potato belong to same family solanaceae …So wonders are more on the surface of earth …If we need we can create wonders …It is all happening due to necessities in human life …

Dear Ramu Sir,

Wouldn’t the stacking of trays one above the other build up more pressure? Let us say I have 5 trays stacked won’t the germination be affected for the bottom most tray because of weight pressure from top?

Thanks

Nothing to worry .It is an established technique of protray seed sowing in shade net house .You can stake the protrays upto 6- 8 layers

OK. Thank you. I thought stacking is mandatory to make it more humid but learnt its not.

~ Guru