Poor man‟s orange - hybrid tomato produce excellent yield of 90-100 mt per acr

Soil Requirement: Well drained, fertile loam with a fair moisture holding capacity is the most ideal soil for tomato cultivation. However it can be grown in variety of soil condition with appropriate cultural practices

Climate: Tomato is a warm season crop which require long season to produce a profitable crop and highly susceptible to frost.
High temperature and high humidity favours development of foliar diseases.

Dry wind results in dropping of flowers.
Seeds germinate at a temperature range of 15.5 to 30oC, optimum being 25 degree celsius .

Night temperature is the critical factor in fruit setting, the optimum range is 15-20 degree celsisus

Spacing – row to row spacing 1.5 M
Plant to plant spacing – 0.60 M
Planting method – Paired row method – two rows of tomato in single bed
Total running meter per acre – 2666 meters
Total number of plants per acre @ above spacing – 8886 plants
No of truss per plant – 2 truss
Average weight of fruits per plant – 12 kgs
Total yield – 100000 kgs ( 106,632 kgs )
No of fruits per plant – 200 fruits
Average individual fruit weight – 60 grams

Fertigation with water soluble fertilizers per acre
Basal application – 470 kgs of super phosphate per acre applied before last ploughing
And 15 MT of farm yard manure

25- 30 days old tomato seedlings raised in protray are used for transplanting in the main feild
Drip irrigation with emitters spacing of 3.5 to 4.0 lit per hour discharge capacity espaced at 50 cms to 60 cms along the lateral pipes

Water soluble fertilizers for fertigation
Establishment phase ( 10 days duration ) – 19-19-19 +MN ,NPK – 26.300kgs , 13- 45 -0 NPK – 9.10 kgs and Urea – 3.4 kgs
Flower initiation – flowering stage ( 30 days ) – 19-19-19 +MN NPK – 16.40 kgs , 13-0-45 NPK – 89 kgs , Urea – 40 kgs
Flower to fruiting ( 30 days ) – 19-19-19 + MN – 26.30 kgs , 13-0-45 NPK – 55.50 kgs , Urea – 25.50 kgs
Harvest phase – 12-61-0 NPK – 8.20 kgs , 13-0-45 NPK – 44.5 kgs , Urea – 20.0 kgs

Micornutrient – borax @ 35 grams per lit water sprayed at 65 and 105 th day after tranplanting
Triacontanol hormone sprayed @ 42 & 58 th day after transplanting
Pseudomonas florescens is sprayed @ 5 grams / lit water – 50, 55,70, 85, 100 and 115 days after transplanting to prevent disease occurrence .
Planofix is sprayed t 70, 85 and 100 th days to prevent flower droppings
TOMATO CROP HUSBANDRY.docx (25.1 KB)

Thanks for your information sir . It’s very informative and helpful .

Thank you Mr.Narendra …I posted this matter mainly for those graduates who are pursuing Agriculture as their choice occupation after quitting their jobs and those who pursue agriculture as their occupation due to unemployment . I came across few fields run by some graduates and noticed huge investment without prospective yield and income .

I trust this article will be of much help to those who are new to farming and sure the attached file here will guide them in the right direction to earn profit and income

That’s good gesture from you Mr. Ramu . Yes many educated people are coming back and showing interest in agriculture . Hope this will lead us in a right way with encouragement and knowledge sharing from people like you .

Thanks
Narendra

Hi All
This is krishnakumar from Chennai, Tamil Nadu basically a Civil Engineer a small time builder/contractor by profession. I own 4 acres of agriculture land about 30 kms from Chennai city in Thiruvellur Dist with reasonable levels of ground water which will be available moderately through out the year. And the soil type is black cotton soil which is always paddy cultivation. These are the basic details of my land, off late got interested in agriculture hence wanted to take up agriculture as profession and regarding investments upto 50 lacs would’nt be a problem. Therefore i would request the members to kindly suggest me a suitable option to start agriculture/mushroom farm/goat farm/fisheries/poultry/cattle etc. ideally a integrated farm set up.

Thanks & Regards
GV Krishnakumar.

Mr.Krishnakumar

You say your soil is black cotton soil . I dont think black cotton soil is found anywhere in tiruvallur district .However if your soil is black cotton , then do check your soil profile by digging pit of 6 feet BLD dimension and check for depth or thickness of different soil layers . sometime the black cotton soil will have deep and uniform and thick single layer of soil going as deep as 3-5 feet and somewhere the soil thickness measures as thin as 15 cms to 30 cms followed by calcareous layer
Take 3 number of sample
1.Representative sample of soil from 3 feet deep pit
2.Representative sample of soil @ 45 cms deep
3.Representative sample of soil collected at 30 cms deep

only thin slice of soil approximately paper thickness is collected from each pit , pooled , shade dried , sample of 500 grams soil is taken up by quartering method and sent to lab for analysis

see how far your land is located from seashore

Likewise check your water quality

Divide your total land area into 5 piece of plots .

1 . Assign 1.0 acre of land for Dairy shed, fodder cultivation , mushroom and fish pond ( for mushroom cultivation you need to have clean piece of land with thatched shed with consistent humidity )
2 . 2.0 acres for fruit cultivation
3 . 0.80 acre for seasonal crop cultivation
4. 0.05 acre for Store room for stocking inputs
5. 0.15 free space for parking tractors and implements and tools etc

Ensure availability of trained labor .

It will take minimum 6-9 months to set entire system in place

Dear Sir
I may be wrong in describing my type of soil, i actually meant to say it is clayey soil which is moderatly black in colour predominantly paddy cultivation however i will do the soil investigation, please suggests me any lab near my place. Can you also suggest me about Vegetable cultivation.

Regards
krishnakumar

I dont know where exactly your land is located
You seem to say your soil is clay type . There is variation in physical properties within the clay type like clay loam, sandy clay , silty clay loam based on the percentage of clay . If clay is 25-33 % then you can opt for vegetable cultivation . Clay percentage beyond this level will impact vegetable growth and yield significantly and extreme clay will cause root rot disease in vegetables

You can test your soil for macro nutrients like available nitrogen, phosphorus , potasium , secondary nutrients like calcium, magnesium and sulphur and micronutrients like Zinc, boron, copper, molybdenum , iron , manganese , chlorine and besides these lab will test it for soil organic carbon , EC , ESP etc

These soil parameters will vary according to the soil type in your land

Also you need to test your water for its suitability like TDS , chlorides and carbonates …

After testing above soil parameter you have to fix suitable vegetables with appropriate cultivation practices

For example , if your soil is found to be clay and still you want to grow vegetables , then you have to dig a deep furrows of 45 cms to provide for drainage to save vegetables from root rot disease and ensure normal growth by root aeration and root respiration

If your irrigation water is carrying more chloride and carbonates , then you need to select suitable water soluble fertilizers to prevent clogging of emitters due to reaction of fertilizer nutrients with salts in irrigation water and avoid toxicity to vegetable roots …

If you know your soil well before hand you can design suitable cultivation practices to get maximum possible yield …

If you cultivate brinjal you should aim for atleast 60-70 MT and if it is tomato you should aim atleast 50-60 MT per acre …

Because the market price is highly volatile and it fluctuates every week every month . So at minimum market price of Rs.5.0 per kg of brinjal , 60 - 70 MT of brinjal will earn you Rs.3.0 lac to 3.5 lac per acre . You need to produce this much yield to forego any loss . Because high tech cultivation involves expenditure on drip irrigation , Highly priced water soluble fertilizers , mulching sheet , costly seeds , nursery production , plant protection chemicals, labour and maintenance cost on drip irrigation …

The same level of yield like 60-70 MT per acre will fetch you greater income by two times when market price goes higher from Rs.5.0 to 10.0 per kg

So you can plan your cultivation keeping all the above factors in mind

Regards

Hi Ramu,

Thanks for the detailed information. Would you mind giving details of exact variety used? And from where the seeds can be bought?

Given the temp and wind parameters can we do the exact steps mentioned inside a poly house?

Thanks
Guru Prasath

Mr.Prasanth

If you have chance to visit west bengal , you can procure true to type Apple ber ( Thai Apple ber )

Hi Ramu,

Sorry again for my crazy question here.

How is Thai apple ber related to tomato mentioned in here?

Thanks

Sorry … Since I was thinking about Apple ber when I started posting reply to your query , I mentioned apple ber in stead of Tomato …You better enquire with local seed dealer about the hybrid tomato that is being cultivated in your location . Choose indeterminate varieties if you are going to grow in polyhouse

Ramu sir,
Thanks a lot for the information provided and my query is , in the paired row system, how do we give support to the plants, I mean how to set up the trellies? please explain in detail

Thanks Mr. Ramu. Can you please give some brief on seed treatment process? Does the seed require a warm temp similar to brinjal seeds? Do we need to cover the portrays with a polythene sheets? Can you explain the process please?

Thanks

YOUR QUESTION  ITSELF IS CARRYING  THE ANSWER S ,JUST REMOVE THE QUESTION MARK , YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER S