Pomegranate papaya intercropping

Hi friends my best wishes to all…!!!
I want cultivate pomegranate in 7 acre of land (2000 Plants)
Spacing: 10 feet b/w plants, 12 feet b/w in row
I also want to cultivate PAPAYA b/w two pomegranate plants
Spacing: 5 feet pomegranate to papaya
Please advice can we grow as mentioned above.
Papaya can be grown up to two year and removed before first yield of pomegranate.
Thankyou
Basavaraj Mayi

Dear Sri Basavraj Mayi, Your idea of 12 ft between rows and 10 ft between plants for pomegranate plantation is good and standard. Our suggestion is never go for multiple cropping in pomegranate plantation. Up to my knowledge, pomegranate is a very risky crop if gone in multi cropping. Pl do it as a mono crop.
It is purely my personal opinion on my experience. With best wishes, g.p.rao. Farmer

Dear g.p.rao garu,

Kindly elaborate on your experience - do you see higher pests and diseases for pomegranate or it is reduced sunlight that you believe is a factor?

Thanks,
Chandra

Dear dr Chandra sir, Afraid to answer your question, but I will try my level best. I have observed practically, the vigorous growth of Bhagava variety pomegranate plant, if all the parameters are good. Even in 12 months , the gaping, between the pomegranate plants, will be covered upto 75 percent. In the beginning year. Secondly the bhagawa variety pomegranate plants will be much suffered with trips initially, root diseases, fungal and bacterial problems and several insects and fly problems. ( mostly above problems can be rectified with good aeration. ). Thirdly, we can leave these plants for 1st crop even after 12 to 18 months , comfortably. Finally, with our hard work and grace of weather and other parameters, the amount of profit is much considerably good/high, when compared to so many other crops. If the pomegranate plants, Grow with out any bacterial blite ( xanthomonas ) and healthy, the first reason is good aeration and weedlessness. Papaya crop is also a high risky crop. To make money, the best variety is Red lady, 786 of known you seed co of Taiwan. These plants are much prone to fungal, bacterial, viral, soil born diseases, apart from high thrips, sucking pest, fly problems. We have select such a crops , like Marygold, onions, beans etc, in and as multicrops in pomegranate field. ( short duration crops, shorter in size so aeration will not be a problem) . Dear dr Chandra sir, I might not have expressed technically but I believe I am right. Regarding this i have discussed with Dr benege sir, who studied on the xanthomonas and other problems of pomegranate for considerable period, on behalf of government of Karnataka ,and took his advise, says monocrop is good in pomegranate, especially for our semi arid zones ( south india incl maharashtra)You are an authority in agri, think, discuss with concerned and inform is. With best wishes, g.p.rao, Farmer

1 Like

Thank you sir.
I was evaluating the layered models with different crops and was looking to understand the effects of these two crops. Thank you.

Dear G P Rao Sir, thank you for your valuable suggestion, It is well Taken & I will go for mono crop with clean cultivation practices…!!
I also know Dr. V I Benagi, he is an authority in bacterial Blight management in pomegranate& done sufficient work on that & same was presented in several international symposiums.
I also thank Mr. Administrator, Shri. Chandra sir, for asking the question for making the discussion more meaningful…!!!

Dear Sri Basavarajmayi,

Dr Benagi sir is a scholar and as you said, an authority on pomegranate crop farming . under his guidance you can take good crops especially in Bhagawa variety pomegranate. Bhagawa pomegranate is an internationally accepted variety and quality fruit will give good hand some profits.

wish you all the best, g.p.rao, farmer

Hello All,

I am planning for Pomegranate this June going for super bhagwa variety. i was planning for drumstick plantation as inter crop for first year but as advised by Mr G.P.Rao will go for monocrop. i heard from my other farming brothers about bacterial blite which has destroyed the time and money…i would like to know if these diseases are carried through the planting materials aswell if so please refer me to the best planting suppliers and could you please share Mr.Dr Benege number for advise. I Thank you all for the advise and information you provide my best wishes to all and best of hardwork with little bit of luck to me.

Best Regards,
Sriram.

Dear Sri Sriram,

congratulations and well wishes for your new cropping of Pomegranate in june month.

Test your land soil and bore well water EC and Ph, along with other parameters. Hope good that you have selected mono cropping of your pomegranate crop.

Be sure that the pomegranate plants are disease free before plantation. Now a days so many reputed Nurseries and some Tissue culture labs are producing good Disease free pomegranate plants. Upto best of my Knowledge National Research Centre for Pomegranates Solapur are producing Bhagwa TC Pomegranate plants and also making through their Licenced Companies.

Here I want to tell you to wait for some more time. It is learnt that National Research Centre for Pomegranates, solapur have developed few varieties of Pomegranates, mostly in Bhagwa variety only, which are more tolerant to the diseases and also high yielding ones, along with good market acceptance. I am trying for feed back from reliable sources. I will let you know and our forum, about the information shortly.

Presently Dr Benege sirs phone number is not with me. In my old posts, related to pomegranate, it can be gathered or I will get you in short time.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dear Sri Sriram,

As per the gathered information, M/s H.U.GUGLE AGRO BIOTECH COMPANY - AHMADNAGARAt Post Jamkhed, Ahmadnagar - 413201, Maharashtra, India At Post Jamkhed, Ahmadnagar - 413201, Maharashtra, India, are the official Bhagwa Pomegranate tissue plants producers, working under NRCP, Solapur and they are doing under their technology and supervision of NRCP, Solapur.

Their contact numbers are 09823804855 and 02421222053.

Pl visit their Nursery at Ahmednagar, speak to them and purchase the plants after you are satisfied. You also ask them about the new varieties released/about to release by nrcp and their availability and performance etc.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

1 Like

Namaskaram.

Kudos to the in depth authenticated information and appreciate the desire to share

seshaadri, tumkur

Dear Sri Seshadri,

Thank you sir. Let us share our knowledge and helpful to each other.

With best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Hello sir, I planted bhagwa 8 months back and I am realizing that I do not want be as a main crop of pomo. So I am planing to plant sabse wood and mahagani plants for long term and drum stick as intercrop.please suggest me I am going in the right way. I will not remove pomo plants let they come or not I don’t mind much. Please advise me the ling term plantation if any . Soil is red and I am from hot area Bellamy district in karnataka. 9880547396