I recently came across a short news article in one of Agri based shows on a telugu news channel. A farmer from Anantapur District of Andhra Pradesh, growing pomegranates in an area of 14 acres has contracted out the cutting and marketing of the fruits to a contractor at a price of whopping 34 Lakhs for the whole 14 acres. . I couldn’t get the details of the farmer. I assume, such high profits are a result of high pomegranate prices (170-180 Rs/Kg retail for pomegranate in Bangalore)
Points to be noted are
- Farming style was totally NPK based (no Organic/natural Farming)
- Variety of fruits was Ganesh
- Farm was approximately 8 yrs of age
- Only maintenance costs like fertigation, irrigation etc.
- No expense of labor for cutting and transport as it was the responsibility of the contractor
The channel worked out the numbers and the profits turned out to be approx 2.2 L per acre after deducting all the expenses. My questions are the following
- What is the profitability of having fruit orchards?
- What are the best practices that can be followed for pomegranate farming?
- What is the ideal spacing for trees in a pomegranate farm
- Any possible intercropping/symbiotic farming
- What are the implications of taking the Organic route for pomegranates?
- Is it possible to achieve similar results and replicate the same numbers anywhere else
Any more information about this is appreciated.