Pomegranate - borer control

Hi all

As I have been very busy tying up loose ends at my place of work and the projects we are involved with I have not had the time to be more active at my farm - besides it being summer the focus has been mulching/ watering and keeping things alive. For mulch we have tried a combination of horse-gram and the dried leaves - generously provided by the honge and bamboo at the farm and the city home and street’s dried leaves. Thanks to you all for your suggestion.

We did try some vegetables and greens - grown successfully and shared with the elephants :slight_smile:

Now I find that the Pomegranate - those saved from the peacocks - seem to have a borers - quite like the kind that affects brinjal. All the fruit saplings/ plants have had a spray of garlic-mustard in January followed by neem oil and shikakai spray 3 weeks later. Now they have been sprayed with 5% solution of panchagavya.

What do I need to spray for this problem with the Pomegranate? Will the Panchaaya spray - on both foliage and ground - take care of the problem?

Any ideas suggestions would be much appreciated.
Warmly
Aparna

Respected Aparna Madam, for pomegranate fruit borer,you can contact Pest control of india or krishi vijnan kendra officials.They sell feramon traps for this fruit borers and you can keep 5 or 6 traps per one acre pomegranate garden. Also you can give a spray of III CI , 1 ml per ltr water and spray it along with The above III CI is manufactured by Phalada agro industries and available with most of the pesticides shops. It is a pure organic ( certified ) pesticide.pl add soap solution APSA , along with the pesticide and spray on the affected pomegranate plants. Or you can apply CRAB 80,1 ml per ltr,along with apsa 80,a soap solution . CRAB 80 is an organic pesticide mfd by AseanAgritechnologies,nashik,phone number 09422520028 or 09373243033. This is also a certified organic pesticide. In future pl add 1 ml neem oil containing 10,000 ppm azhadirictin content, along with any spray you are giving for any disease or pest so that these borer problem will be uprooted from the syst stage. You can also try Agni ashtra/ Brahmashtra of shri Palekarji. Upto my knowledge Panchagavya is not for pest control &fruit borer and pl verify. g.p.rao, farmer

Shri Rao

Many thanks for all your suggestions - I have used the PCI pheromones for the mango - cucurbits. brinjal and sunflowers. Will go visit Venkatesh’s shop in Hebbal and find out what he has in the way of pheromones as well as the bio /organic pesticides

Now that the fruits are already attacked - if I spray this week will it protect future fruit as well as the plant?

How often should I be spraying these bio pesticides?

What is APSA 80 - will that be available along with the bio/organic pesticides?

Thank You Sir
Aparna

Respected Aparna garu, Once the borer enters in to a fruit,it is gone. Only we can pluck it,burn/burry the affected fruits. For future affect, we have to spray the said organic pesticides once in a month, by changing the pesticides, particularly while the crops are with flowers,buds, tender fruits stages… feramone traps will control the adults. It is good to use Apsa 80, @ 0.3 ml per ltr water ,along with all the pesticides, as it is a good spreader and binder. I suggest you to add 1 ml of neem oil which is with 10,000 ppm azhadirictin, prefarably mfd by EID Parry& co,chennai, which is available with all leading pesticide shops, in all the pesticide sprays, as it can control/de-shape the syst of all the bacteria,fungi, insects etc. All the above are certified organic inputs/pesticides only. g.p.rao, farmer.

Thank you will be going to the farm today and will begin the work of taking the fruit off and burning it.

Going to meet PCI person today and will pick up the pheromeones

Rgds
Aparna

A completely organic method for protection from certain pests is keeping poultry that will eat slugs, bugs and borers. You can keep ducks, chickens or quails, all of them work well for the purpose. You’ll have to take care of course that they don’t eat your main crops.

A completely organic method for protection from certain pests is keeping poultry that will eat slugs, bugs and borers. You can keep ducks, chickens or quails, all of them work well for the purpose. You’ll have to take care of course that they don’t eat your main crops.

Great idea but we have to construct a moving coop of sorts to keep the poultry safe - in the area we have a “dhodda naayi” problem - sometimes hyena/ sometimes leopard - have already lost 2 puppies over the past few years

watched this film and got the idea for a moving coop -I have promised myself to make it one of these days!

Rao gaaru - I have taken off all the pomegranate fruit - but the plants are FULL of flowers - do I need to remove the flowers too OR will spraying and putting in the pheromone traps take care of them?

Rgds
Aparna

Resp. Aparna garu, Pomegranate farming is a very big issue and it is not that easy. Since you asked about fruit borer control only i have given organic control methods. There is a lot of study done by so many experts and i give their contact addresses if you want. Lot of systems were developped by them and they have published books also. In that list Dr Benegi.V.I, professor in University of Agricultural scinces, Dharwad,Karnataka comes and he studied lot of farms in Karnataka and Maharashtra,Ap…His phone numbers are 08362477321, 09480366496 He published few books on pomegranate pests,diseases and remedies in english and kannada. On request you can get them i hope. Pl study first. There is another Dr.Raghuvamshi,Rahuri ,MPKV,Maharashtra university, and his phone number is 09405008801. He also can help you on request. There is one person named Dr Ramdas Patil in Maharashtra, shri Ramdas Patil of Satna,Nashik,Maharashtra, a bio-Technologist,studied lot on pomegranate,its diseases,pests and developped 4 point farmula for good governance on pomegranate farming, along with university of MPKV,Rahuri and his contact number is 09423179396. You can get details on request i hope. But any how i tell you madam it is a risky thing to grow pomegranate. But it is little simple may be in one way, by using organic farming and if you follow 4 point farmula released by MPKV,Rahuri,and DR Ramdas patil.

Exactly, a moving chicken coop that can also serve as a “chicken tractor”.

Sorry the picture above is chicken tractor, not a coop.

For a movable chicken coop arrangement, check the video below at 4 minute 23s.

Hi

To protect the pomegranate (in case of small farms) from squirrels, birds and fruit sucking creature , it is better to use mosquito net for each pomegranate which seems to be quite effective and this method has been discovered / used by Prof. Shyamsunder of IIIT, Hyderabad.

Cheers

Sanlok