Please Help me : How many plants we can plant in 1 acre of sugarcane

hello friends,

i am a software techie :slight_smile: with a family background of agriculture :-\. i am very much interested in agriculture,but these days farming is getting difficult day by day. my family is loosing hope :'(.

my family is doing sugarcane cultivation. they are hardly getting the output of 40 tons per acre. i am trying to figure out, where we are doing mistakes. Please help me guys.

i need some information from general practices.

1. how many plants/buds do you guys plant in a acre.
  2. any inter crops.
  3. any specific practices.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS. ONE VALUABLE SUGGESTION CAN BRING THE HOPE BACK. PLEASE.

Watch 21st episode of bhoomi putra and go through subhash palekar’s books

Mod edit:
Link for above episode.
youtube.com/watch?v=c87gl1GAoUc

@ MS … brother could you please post any of the videos related to sugar cane .

About 2 feet space is left from row to row as recommended by scientists. Please give sufficient breathing space to sugarcane plants.While the plants are growing,you can grow short term inter crops like okara,chillies,brinjals or legume crops etc.You should never congest sugarcane.If you form a overhead crossed net,you can take bottle gourd crops even if sugarcane has grown big but have some space to move around.The bottle gourd will see you through financially.Keep growing the same till sugarcane crops continue and spread their shoots on tight overhead steel/iron wire with jute ropes combined for creepers to spread tentacles on the rough rope material . Pl look in to the aspect that bottle gourd shoots should not get entangled in to the standing sugarcane crops and become uncontrollable.Caution is the watch word so use secateurs everyday to keep pruning the excess bottle gourd shoots.

@rcdixit this is very useful information. thanks brother. how much space is recommended between the plants in a row.

Row to row distance is 2 feet and plant to plant distance is 1 feet.This gap gets filled when grown sugarcanes form a thick bunch per plant.Till sugarcane field has small plants you have sufficient space for intercroping but subsequently to get good results please keep removing weeds and wild grass from underneath.This is the weakness, as very few farmers are meticulous to keep the fields clear of weeds etc.The weeds eat in to the productivity which farmers can not assess.

It all depends upon the type of farming you intend to practice.

Normally people use about 2.5 tons of sugarcane for seeding but I used 0.75 ton per acre with single budded setts.
the saplings were kept in plastic tea cups with holes and kept under shade for about a month . Then they were transplanted in the main field.

The more the distance between the crops the better the yield.

If you intend to employ machine cutting the space should be six feet minimum.

A practical suggestion is 6 feet between rows ( east - west ) and 4 feet between adjacent crops ( north - south ) in a row.
This arrangement helps the plants with sufficient sun light and air flow. The use of single budded setts as against the normal two or three budded setts avoids unnecessary competition for nutrients and results in stronger, taller and thicker sugar canes.

This is for row method of sugarcane cultivation.

If you want to employ pit method , you can dug pits at 5 feet intervals and replace the soil mixed with manure and use buds in a circular fashion ( about 32 buds for a single pit) .

Whatever method you use, don’t burn the sugarcane trash but keep them on the oil which keeps the soil moist and avoids water evaporation. Normally sugarcane needs more water at weekly intervals. Initially water is to be made available near the roots and after 3 months you can make trenches farther apart so that the plants send their roots in search of water which will result in good production.

Hope this information helps.

1 ton sugarcane per acre in my case with similar distance like Varaahan. I went for a square with 5 feet between rows East to West and also 5 feet between adjacent crops :smiley:

very use full information sir . thank you so much sir :slight_smile:… i am wondering ??? in this particular method(with lot of spacing between plants) how many tons of yield you are getting sir ?? are you planting any intra crops with sugar cane ??

My family is planting by using 2.5 feet between row and 2.0 feet between the plant. last year the yield was 50 tons. we get 2 stems and at max 3 stems.

Questions i got from the above :

1. if we use the plastic cups for buds… how you are going to plant it(are you going to remove the plant out of cup and plant it in the field) ?

2. can we grow the buds in regular shaded area (we have a shed with plastic sheets covered but no walls around it). i can make the floor plat.

3. what kind of soil (soil preparation to fill the cups) you are using to grow the plants?

4. how many days you are growing these baby plants at home?

if i ask any dumb question please forgive me :slight_smile: and please help me sir.

Plz follow this link:

plus.google.com/photos/11592262 … banner=pwa

1. The cups along with saplings are to be dipped in water and squeezed from the bottom which’ll eject the sapling and you can transplant the sapling along with the parent soil in wet field.

2. The saplings need air and diffused sunlight with cover over them . Use sheep net to protect from cattle.

3. Normal field soil is mixed with red soil , sand and compost in equal ratios.

4. Normally the saplings are kept in nursery for about a month.

There is no question as dumb and don’t feel sorry about that.

Good luck.

thanks for the reply.

how many tons of yield you are getting sir ?? are you planting any intra crops with sugar cane ??

The land was on lease and now stands returned to the owner. I could not complete the sugarcane crop at that time.
But all I can assure you is less labour requirement, less seeding sugarcane , healthy seedlings, good intercrop with black gram , onion etc.

At present I own just 60 cents of land in which I cultivate rice for my own consumption.
Last year I cultivated Seeraga Samba and Gandhagasaali rice varieties both being native varieties.
This year I am going to sow paddy in a couple of weeks.